Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump Loses Travel Ban Appeal
Trump Loses Travel Ban Appeal
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/...-1.2964205

This part of the argument may have pissed the court directly off:

Acting solicitor general Noel Francisco forcefully argued in the government’s brief on Saturday night that presidential authority is “largely immune from judicial control” when it comes to deciding who can enter or stay in the United States.

Not sure how it works in the US, but in Commonwealth nations judges get a wee bit livid when told that politicians are immune from judicial control.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Trump Loses Travel Ban Appeal
He's largely immune to reality. Come on and peach stone this guy already or whatever. It's obviously going to happen.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 5, 2017 at 9:25 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/...-1.2964205

Acting solicitor general Noel Francisco forcefully argued in the government’s brief on Saturday night that presidential authority is “largely immune from judicial control” when it comes to deciding who can enter or stay in the United States.

Not sure how it works in the US, but in Commonwealth nations judges get a wee bit livid when told that politicians are immune from judicial control.

Boru

No judge likes idiots, and the quoted sentiment is idiotic.

(February 5, 2017 at 9:25 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/...-1.2964205

Boru

That was basically saying that Trump was above the law. A worrying sentiment.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Boru

For anyone that is interested, the official WH response can be found here
http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/documen...-ban/2320/

It's also where the quote provided by the OP comes from.

The full quote is as follows: see page 12
Quote:In the immigration context specifically, " the Supreme Court has 'long recognized the power to expel or exclude aliens as a fundamental right sovereign attribute exercised by the Government's political departments largely immune from judicial control'"

Also I don't think Noel Francisco had ever even said that...It was a quote from Cardenas vs United States.
https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/o...-35957.pdf
See section II. A on page 8

I hope that we can win the legal battle and not have to deal with this absurd ban, but I don't think claiming Trump thinks he is above the law is a winning battle here.
(February 5, 2017 at 1:03 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:

Boru

That was basically saying that Trump was above the law. A worrying sentiment.

Are we allowed to say he's wants to be a dictator now ?
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

He's being a big fucking crybaby about it too.
(February 5, 2017 at 3:41 pm)Shell B Wrote: He's being a big fucking crybaby about it too.

Heard he throw a coaster off his desk when he heard the news (might not be true). If it is thanks trump supporters you put a spoiled brat into office.
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

What I find most troubling about the whole kerfuffle is Trump's referring to Mr. Robart as a 'so-called judge'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 5, 2017 at 4:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: What I find most troubling about the whole kerfuffle is Trump's referring to Mr. Robart as a 'so-called judge'.

Boru

The demeanor Trump has to bad news and how he approaches those that disagree with him is very concerning.

(February 5, 2017 at 3:16 pm)Orochi Wrote:
(February 5, 2017 at 1:03 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: That was basically saying that Trump was above the law. A worrying sentiment.

Are we allowed to say he's wants to be a dictator now ?

I really don't see how either of these two points follow, from the quote provided in the OP.
And that's before considering the the quote wasn't actually a quote from the solicitor general, it was a quote from a Federal judge from a previous case.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  California High Capacity Magazine Ban Shot Down. onlinebiker 73 2313 August 25, 2020 at 1:37 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  BREAKING:The exclusion of the UK and non-Schengen countries like Ireland from the ban WinterHold 6 727 March 14, 2020 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  California ban on high capacity magazines declared unconstitutional popeyespappy 178 10122 May 3, 2019 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Saudi Arabia:Activists appeal to Mariah Carey to cancel Saudi Arabia performance WinterHold 12 1187 January 30, 2019 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Baltimore poised to become first major city to ban privatization of water Aegon 9 675 August 8, 2018 at 9:51 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  BREAKING: SCOTUS Upholds Trump Travel Ban A Theist 18 2587 June 27, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  "Kill the fetus" ban lifted in Ireland Foxaèr 50 4506 May 28, 2018 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Franklin Graham Loses His Shit After Wisconsin Defeat Minimalist 9 1539 April 6, 2018 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: rskovride
  Coal Loses Another Battle In Its War Minimalist 3 596 February 9, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Trump's Muslim immigration ban includes green card holders Aegon 316 28137 February 17, 2017 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: GUBU