Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread #247
Thread #247
Hi.  You have chosen to view the 247th thread I've created.

The purpose of this thread is to probe the purpose of thread titles.  I don't think this title is very tempting but neither is it very informational.  So why did you open it?

Two years ago I created the "Thread Title Mash-up Thread"  http://atheistforums.org/thread-31034.html  wherein posters are invited to write frivolous thread titles based on recently started thread titles.  I posted it under the Off Topic subform but I suppose it would have fit in Humor as well.  

Obviously this thread was inspired by the new no click bait rule, even though it isn't about that.  Just thinking of the variety of purposes we can hope to serve by our choice of title.  Clearly, something more informational than this one is best.  But I wonder if we aren't insisting on more formality and seriousness than is always required.  Nonetheless, all things considered, I'm in favor of whatever rules the people doing the trench work think will best aid them to do go on doing such an outstanding job of forum moderation.
RE: Thread #247
I was intrigued by the type of title, and further that you composed the thread.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Oh Mark... You've hit a new low now my friend...

You see, I clicked on your thread because I know you are an honourable man.
I needed some extra information for my new silk underwear I am knitting and was hoping to find it all here!

But instead, you posted nothing of the sort! Not even close!
I've never met anyone as brave and defiant as your good self to post this obvious clickbaity stuff so soon after all our drama!

[Image: 1j2co0.jpg]

you heathenous rebel!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Lol ig, where do you find this stuff!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Sorry Alex ...can't talk! I've wasted so much time being intentionally misdirected to this clicky baity thread thing that I don't know if I'm Arfa or Marfa!

I'm starting a class action suit ... millions of dollars of combined users times have been wasted here!
Just heard from Reuters ...The US stock market is about to crash because of all this lost productivity!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I clicked on it because I was intrigued to find out what the content would be. I also didn't get offended and throw a kitten in boiling water because of the obvious click baity nature of this thread.
(February 6, 2017 at 3:18 am)Whateverist Wrote: Hi.  You have chosen to view the 247th thread I've created.

The purpose of this thread is to probe the purpose of thread titles.  I don't think this title is very tempting but neither is it very informational.  So why did you open it?

Two years ago I created the "Thread Title Mash-up Thread"  http://atheistforums.org/thread-31034.html  wherein posters are invited to write frivolous thread titles based on recently started thread titles.  I posted it under the Off Topic subform but I suppose it would have fit in Humor as well.  

Obviously this thread was inspired by the new no click bait rule, even though it isn't about that.  Just thinking of the variety of purposes we can hope to serve by our choice of title.  Clearly, something more informational than this one is best.  But I wonder if we aren't insisting on more formality and seriousness than is always required.  Nonetheless, all things considered, I'm in favor of whatever rules the people doing the trench work think will best aid them to do go on doing such an outstanding job of forum moderation.

That might be the single best example of objecting to a rule and simultaneously sucking up to the staff (shut up, vorlon) I've ever seen. I'm monumentally impressed.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I clicked because I thought you were having some problem with thread #247: http://atheistforums.org/thread-247.html.
It's a bit old and musty... and you'd need some power tools to dig it out... but it doesn't look problematic.
(February 6, 2017 at 8:06 am)pocaracas Wrote: I clicked because I thought you were having some problem with thread #247: http://atheistforums.org/thread-247.html.
It's a bit old and musty... and you'd need some power tools to dig it out... but it doesn't look problematic.

They explain poe's law to the troll, how quaint the internet was in 2008!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(February 6, 2017 at 8:52 am)Alex K Wrote:
(February 6, 2017 at 8:06 am)pocaracas Wrote: I clicked because I thought you were having some problem with thread #247: http://atheistforums.org/thread-247.html.

They explain poe's law to the troll, how quaint the internet was in 2008!

Haha That's the first thing I thought, too. Trolling and Poe'ing are mainstream now.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue