Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God can never know more than the host
God can never know more than the host
Kudos to the other posters for giving me this idea. I feel it deserves exploring further.

We know God is Omni everything.
We also know that God talks to theists. (We've been told by many -they can't all be wrong, can they?)

My question is: Why cannot God ever tell one of his believers something they don't already know?

The sceptics answer obviously is because God is a product of their imagination and therefore this "character" can never be
more knowledgeable than the mind it inhabits.

Theists? Does he talk in hunches? gut instinct? feelings? from the heart?
Got bad news there too... Those are human traits. We all have them. That's just your brain number-crunching to make sense of a particular situation.

It's pretty obvious really. Dunno

Let the apologetics begin:
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: God can never know more than the host
(February 6, 2017 at 5:54 am)ignoramus Wrote: Kudos to the other posters for giving me this idea. I feel it deserves exploring further.

We know God is Omni everything.
We also know that God talks to theists. (We've been told by many -they can't all be wrong, can they?)

My question is: Why cannot God ever tell one of his believers something they don't already know?

The sceptics answer obviously is because God is a product of their imagination and therefore this "character" can never be
more knowledgeable than the mind it inhabits.

Theists? Does he talk in hunches? gut instinct? feelings? from the heart?
Got bad news there too... Those are human traits. We all have them. That's just your brain number-crunching to make sense of a particular situation.

It's pretty obvious really. Dunno

Let the apologetics begin:

Whenever someone, like my own Grandfather, tells me that they do not merely BELIEVE that there is a god,
but that they KNOW that there is is a god,

I ask them how they know.

They then usually tell me that they've had a "personal experience" of god.

And I do not tell them that they're wrong (much as I would like to) because I ultimately don't know what their experience was,
but I do ask them how they know that their experience was of god, and not of something pretending to be god?

They just feel it, they just know it, is usually the answer.

Sure, ok, I'll go with that...
...but I am quick to point out that if I am wise enough to not question whether or not they've legitimately had that experience or not,

then conversely, they should also be wise enough not to expect me to accept their personal experience as a legit manifestation of a legit god,
unless I have a similar experience, myself, or unless proof can be procured.
Their mere experience is insufficient as proof....like if someone came and told me they saw a werewolf.

What I DO point out, though, is when god gives DOESN'T tell them NOT to tell other people.

If god was to visit me in a dream, or even a waking vision, I would, at the very least,
expect him to caution me that it was not only NOT necessary, but inadvisable, for me,
to share the experience with others;

For such an experience to seem remotely legitimate, that god would appear to me for the sake of our own relationship, ONLY...
...to give me peace, to give me illumination along my path....and he would be an intelligent, wise,
and selfless god; he would gently point out to me that exhilarating as this experience might be,
there is no need to share it with others; he would caution me that it would only open me to ridicule;
he would point out that I should be still and know that He is God...
meaning, he can reach any and every human being on earth, if he wants to,
without the need of my witnessing, without my help;
that this experience was for me, and for me, only...there is no need to include anyone else in it.

And I would CERTAINLY expect that such a vision would NOT charge me with any specific task,
whether that be to prophesy to others, or to go and shoot up an abortion clinic,
or to fly an airplane into a skyscraper.

I point out that any visitation that charges me with a task is a red flag:
(even if it is only to go forth and witness unto others)
it probably isn't legitimately from god,
but from some deceiving force pretending to be god....like a demon
(or your own fucked up brain),

because, again,  any god worth a damn doesn't need  to "work His Will through me"
...at least in not such a hamfisted and destructive, or stupid fashion...
but a demon who is easily exhausted, who doesn't want to waste his energy doing shit, himself,
might try to trick me into doing his grunt work, for him.

And then, depending on how far the conversation goes,
I then share the only religious experience I've ever personally had, of god, myself, in my life:

I predict we will hear something about predictions.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Why is this thread in Life Sciences? Am I missing something?

I cannot speak for other believers. I had two profoundly religious experiences that would Maslow would have called “peak experiences”. Other than that I have had many, many times when both minor and major life events unfolded in truly uncanny ways. Generally, I have not been overly impressed with prayer requests. The “soft, still voice” tends to sound like my own. That said, I do have an on-going relationship with Being-as-Such (an intentionally neutral term I only use on AF) that pretty much colors every quiet moment.
In Mormonism, their 'God' demonstrably knows LESS than Joe Smith since Joe (and his successors in the LDS hierarchy) have, until recently, had to correct, change, revise, alter, update and reinterpret every revelation 'God' has seen fit to give them.

One might conclude 'God' was showing favoritism and gave all the good stuff to L. Ron Hubbard . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(February 6, 2017 at 7:12 am)MTL Wrote: But several things occurred to me, immediately:

1.  I didn't have a religious experience.
What I had was a lucid dream in which my own subconscious was telling me
that I had outgrown the need for this gobbledegook.

2.  I DID have an authentic experience of Jesus...but that's NOT to say it was also of GOD.
As I have previously hypothesized,
Jesus is no more the "son of god" than any of us are;
and indeed, may be nothing more than a demon or lower-echelon spirit,
(of which there may be many, the fallen old Greek and Roman and Egyptian gods also among them, for all we know)
trying to trick humanity, with a mix of truth and lies,
into paying attention to him and believing that he is something he isn't,
which gives him, as a demon, strength.

3.  Jesus IS the Son of God, God DID turn His back on me,
and I am either beyond redemption, or simply not worth redeeming.
(Which means God can't be as merciful and loving as the Bible says He is).

4.  I didn't have a religious experience.
What I had was a lucid dream in which my own subconscious was telling me
that I had outgrown the need for this gobbledegook.

So my question to the Christians is this:

Why would a truly loving, forgiving God shut His ears to such an earnest plea?
Does the Bible lie when it says Ask, Seek, Knock?

If it was the Devil deceiving me,
why oh why would God allow Satan to deceive me
at the point where I had made a leap of faith?

If God does, in fact, exist,
but this was merely the work of my own skeptical subconscious,
why again would God not overrule my subconscious and silence it,
and accept my previous night's confession of a lack of faith,
and plea for forgiveness, mercy, and for subsequent illumination?

[My bold of your fourth point. Oops, should have bolded your number one I see now.]

Just to say if you didn't have "a religious experience", then no one ever has a religious experience. I have no doubt something like this underlies everything that goes by that description. You had a significant dream to you personally and seem to have internalized its import. The key with all unconscious phenomenon is to hold it in an "as if" manner. Its meaning is always poetic, never prosaic. It meant exactly what you thought/felt it meant and perhaps it helped you over the cognitive dissonance to some degree?

(February 6, 2017 at 11:22 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Why is this thread in Life Sciences? Am I missing something?

I cannot speak for other believers. I had two profoundly religious experiences that would Maslow would have called “peak experiences”. Other than that I have had many, many times when both minor and major life events unfolded in truly uncanny ways. Generally, I have not been overly impressed with prayer requests. The “soft, still voice” tends to sound like my own. That said, I do have an on-going relationship with Being-as-Such (an intentionally neutral term I only use on AF) that pretty much colors every quiet moment.

The thread was started by an ignoramus?
I would have thought "psychology" was a more accurate field to discuss these mental phenomena?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
If god can't know more than the host and there are not any non human vectors (i.e. only humans know god), does this make god a parasite?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Very good analogy Mark!

I think we can think of the God phenomenon as a parasite of the mind...
Without a host, God cannot exist.
He injects himself to the young host via the parents! He is an aurally transmitted virus.
Once embedded he then feeds of the host's emotions.

So who is the "real" God?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Talk about insufficient evidence! There really is no reason to suppose that 'memes' are a real phenomena.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug Rebuttal To Creationists - "Since We Can't Directly Observe Evolution, It Never Happe QuackeryDetection 11 1317 May 14, 2022 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Are other races more evolved than Blacks? Alexmahone 164 17066 March 18, 2022 at 4:22 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Fox host says he 'hasn't washed hands in 10 years' zebo-the-fat 12 1552 February 20, 2019 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Never ending battle............... Brian37 0 281 November 14, 2017 at 8:32 am
Last Post: Brian37
  One More Time - Science 1 God 0 Minimalist 10 2842 April 28, 2016 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Primordial earth much more hospitable to life than imagined. Anomalocaris 0 961 September 17, 2014 at 10:31 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why are spiders more scary than sharks? lifesagift 112 19973 September 12, 2014 at 4:01 am
Last Post: ManMachine
  'Afterlife' feels 'even more real than real,' researcher says pocaracas 5 2950 April 18, 2013 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Why you never win an argument on the web The_Flying_Skeptic 2 1597 June 13, 2011 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: The_Flying_Skeptic
  Too little salt more deadly than too much... theVOID 14 4951 May 10, 2011 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla