Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Arrival" (Spoiler Free(cause I haven't seen it))
"The Arrival" (Spoiler Free(cause I haven't seen it))
Started this thread because I'm interested in that other thread, but I haven't seen the movie and there's a spoiler warning.

I want to see it! I've only heard good things and the premise is interesting. Not that it'll make me not see it, but can somebody give me a spoiler-free break down of how it's pro-life propaganda? If not, don't even try. I hate spoilers.

Side note: Propaganda sounds like Papa Panda, so I googled Nazi Papa Panda and found too much stuff to post.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
RE: "The Arrival" (Spoiler Free(cause I haven't seen it))
The mom chooses life for her daughter. Apparently that's offensive to some ppl.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Well, without seeing it, the important thing is she had a choice. Thanks C_L!

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(February 6, 2017 at 9:11 am)Exian Wrote: Well, without seeing it, the important thing is she had a choice.[...]

She didn't, really. The premise of the movie relies heavily on the universe being a deterministic one. 
And yes - the whole daughter plot can be seen as pro-life message and also seems to have sweet f*ck-all to do with the main  story. But it would be difficult to explain without some spoilers.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
I gotcha. I'll have to see it, but from what you're saying it seems less pro-life, and more anti-free will (nah, you wouldn't word it that way "I take a stance against free-will", you know what I mean though). In which case, the choice is already made, and that goes for abortions when they happen as well.

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(February 6, 2017 at 11:34 am)Exian Wrote: I gotcha. I'll have to see it, but from what you're saying it seems less pro-life, and more anti-free will (nah, you wouldn't word it that way "I take a stance against free-will", you know what I mean though). In which case, the choice is already made, and that goes for abortions when they happen as well.

No, it's pretty "pro-life", partly because of how the story is structured and how it emphasizes the - fairly irrelevant, or at least easily replaceable - daughter plot and the associated drama. Sure - it was there mainly to add human interest to the sci-fi movie, but it didn't necessarily need to be what it was. 

Basically - it seems to me, that the creators want you to leave the cinema thinking that "life is precious" and that one must accept their lot in life, regardless of circumstances. It's not really heavy-handed and the message itself can be seen as positive, but I could have done without it. Instead of the child - the women could have had a kitten, or a wise-cracking robot, or something... Tongue
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
I think it was pro-choice, because the mom decided to have the kid despite the inevitable early death. Nowhere does it say that abortion is a bad thing. Some viewers will have noticed that part.
I don't think it's pro-life in the anti-abortion sense that many people seem to take the meaning of that term. Even the sites that are claiming it as "pro-life" compare it to people who chose to have children they know will die....but in all real life instances, those children die within hours or days of birth, not years or decades. So it's not even comparable with that.

I do think it's either deterministic, or pro-choice, depending on if you think she chose it, or was already pre-determined to have that experience. After all, there would have been a time paradox of where she got all the info that helped her solve the language puzzle in the first place if she didn't go on to have those experiences, so I think it's deterministic.

I hope that's spoiler free. Just go see the movie, and decide for yourself! lol.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Morally speaking I'm an antinatalist... but I think that some things are more important than morality and parents deserve to have children. YOLO and all that jazz.

This may seem like the most contradictory and irrational and controversial thing you've ever read from me. But it's the way I am.

I think my parents committed an immoral act by giving birth to me but I'm glad they did and I think they had a right to do so. Also I think morality is overated. So what if they commited an extremely mildly immoral act in my opinion? (Merely because I think that there's a great asymmetry between pleasure and pain). Their wanting to have a child was more important. Yes I have strange views lol. Don't look at me. Lol. I'm drunk but the alcohol isn't an excuse for how I am lol.
What do you have against parents?

ETA:You added more to your post and it took the punch from my joke, and seeing as you're drunk, I need to clarify this was a classic "I'm misunderstanding you" joke, so we don't end up fighting. Big Grin

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Movie everyone has seen except you. arewethereyet 23 1995 December 4, 2022 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Star Trek - seen them all? onlinebiker 22 1832 February 6, 2020 at 5:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  SPOILER ALERT: Black Mirror - Bandersnatch (Interactive Movie) GrandizerII 0 223 December 29, 2018 at 1:22 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Have you seen dolls this real? ignoramus 13 576 December 6, 2018 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The best oddly satisfying video I've seen. ignoramus 0 206 November 24, 2018 at 1:34 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Has anyone here seen this Anime OVA before? ƵenKlassen 0 485 December 1, 2017 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: ƵenKlassen
  A great movie that you have (probably) not seen! Jehanne 11 2047 October 19, 2017 at 11:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Do not watch the movie, "The Arrival" because it is pro-life propaganda. {Spoilers} Foxaèr 21 5055 February 6, 2017 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Has anyone seen "Jurassic World"? Alex K 86 11497 January 21, 2016 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: Aroura
  Shitty movies you've seen vorlon13 89 12285 January 9, 2016 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet