Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Do You Call a Fiscal Progressive and a Social Conservative?
What Do You Call a Fiscal Progressive and a Social Conservative?
So, I'm a registered Democrat and I voted for Bernie in the primaries.  But I'm harboring a deep dark secret that my progressive friends probably don't suspect: even though I'm quite fiscally progressive, I'm kind of a social conservative, and it's very difficult to talk about. 

I'll explain what I mean.  And for this discussion, I'm not looking to debate the issues specifically, but rather, I'm trying to figure out what to call myself and what my feelings are.  

I'm totally behind economic justice: I say tax the hell out of the billionaires and give poor people a raise.  I absolutely believe that it's the government's job to prevent the rich from exploiting the poor.  But when it comes to so-called social justice, I struggle.  Why do some groups deserve our help and sympathy, but not others?  Why do black and latino people deserve pay equity, but autistic people don't?  Why do we care more about refugees than homeless veterans?  Why is it wrong to favor someone in a hiring decision based on their race, but it's not wrong to favor someone in a hiring decision based on their good looks?   And why is it wrong to pay a woman less than man, but it's OK to pay a shorter person less money than a taller person (taller people make more money than shorter people)?  "Social Justice" is applied so inconsistently that it makes no sense to me.  

I don't believe that women are (or ever were) oppressed by men, because oppressors typically don't go off to die in war or buy diamond rings for the people they oppress.  I think that the gender wage gap is a myth, because if companies could get the same work from women as from men for 23% less money, then companies would fire all their men and hire all-women staffs. 

I'm in favor of gay marriage, but I think that transgenderism should be considered a disorder, not a variation of "normal."  If you have a Y chromosome and male genitals, but you believe you are actually female, then I believe that you should be treated respectfully and with sympathy as someone who has a psychological disorder and is in need of treatment, not as a hero in a grand civil rights battle to overthrow the oppressive "patriarchy."  

I support most gun control measures and abortion freedom (freedom, not "rights.")  I also support the male abortion, the freedom for a man to sign away all rights and responsibilities to an unborn child, just as a woman has the freedom to abort it.  

A social conservative and a fiscal conservative is called a conservative.  A social progressive and a fiscal progressive is called a progressive.  A social progressive and a fiscal conservative is called a libertarian.  What would you call me?
RE: What Do You Call a Fiscal Liberal and a Social Conservative?
I'd consider you someone with a mental disorder. I don't mean that to be offensive. I just think that's the reality of it. I'll still treat you with respect and sympathy, of course.

Wink
A Republican. Fiscally liberal means "free market" capitalism without any regulation.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(February 7, 2017 at 5:56 am)Jesster Wrote: I'd consider you someone with a mental disorder. I don't mean that to be offensive. I just think that's the reality of it. I'll still treat you with respect and sympathy, of course.

Wink

What would you diagnose me with?  Perhaps a case of Excessive Honesty Disorder?
(February 7, 2017 at 6:07 am)InquiringMind Wrote:
(February 7, 2017 at 5:56 am)Jesster Wrote: I'd consider you someone with a mental disorder. I don't mean that to be offensive. I just think that's the reality of it. I'll still treat you with respect and sympathy, of course.

Wink

What would you diagnose me with?  Perhaps a case of Excessive Honesty Disorder?

Who knows? I'm only as much of a doctor as you are. I am allowed to be honest as well, though.

#justmyopinion
(February 7, 2017 at 6:07 am)Tazzycorn Wrote: A Republican. Fiscally liberal means "free market" capitalism without any regulation.

There are some problems with definitions here.  Economic liberalism does mean more free market, but the common usage of the term means the opposite.  Most people who say liberal mean progressive.
RE: What Do You Call a Fiscal Progressive and a Social Conservative?
(February 7, 2017 at 6:12 am)InquiringMind Wrote:
(February 7, 2017 at 6:07 am)Tazzycorn Wrote: A Republican. Fiscally liberal means "free market" capitalism without any regulation.

There are some problems with definitions here.  Economic liberalism does mean more free market, but the common usage of the term means the opposite.  Most people who say liberal mean progressive.

I'm using proper definitions not US colloquialisms. But I'd like you to think for a minute, what makes economics so different that liberalism in economis means the polar opposite of liberalism everywhere else?
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
There is no word for it. Just say you're independent. my political views are all over the map as well, though in a different way.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
@inquiring mind: Why equate the historic struggles of blacks and latinos with that of autistic people? That is a real stretch. I don't remember any sheriffs named "Bull" sending savage dogs and cops to terrorize autistic people when they were asking for a fair society. When Temple Grandin achieved her PhD I don't recall any lynch mobs burning crosses on her lawn.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

I'd say you're uninformed.

But really, who gives a flying fuck what it's called? Does learning how to label it somehow affect its validity? Why are people so obsessed with boiling down complex views into one simple phrase?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Social democracy in Europe without 5 minutes Interaktive 1 581 January 3, 2023 at 4:55 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] Is conservative Republicanism dead? Jehanne 16 1027 September 3, 2022 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The new conservative boogeyman, Drag Queens. Jehanne 26 2392 June 9, 2022 at 3:38 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Does Social Issues matter when deciding your political affiliation? T.J. 48 3036 April 21, 2022 at 9:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  TX social media censorship bill Fake Messiah 24 2134 September 14, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Why do non english speaking countries call USA for USA Sweden83 9 1092 December 4, 2020 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Atheists wildly progressive on a variety of issues Foxaèr 5 344 October 10, 2020 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Social Security and wealth. Brian37 20 1038 July 9, 2020 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  UK general election - right wing Conservative party wins large majority Duty 30 1453 December 16, 2019 at 6:12 am
Last Post: Duty
  Conservative Asskisser Wants Obama Back Minimalist 8 1990 July 20, 2018 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: A Theist