Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious?
Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious?
I have been longing to know what it is that makes people religious, which is probably related to what makes people believe in fake news, or hold on to their beliefs in spite of new evidence being presented to them. Not to say there's evidence that refutes religious claims, because there was never any evidence for those claims in the first place. 

But as a person who loves arguing, I've always wanted to know what it is that makes a person religious. They've always infuriated me to the very core of my being since I was in my early teens, and I do not understand what it is about them that makes them so stubborn and stupid. I realize that I shouldn't hate them, that it would be like hating a mentally retarded person, but if a mentally retarded person had the ability to try to challenge you using mature vocabulary and impose their laws on society, maybe it would be just as annoying.
RE: Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious?
You're such a bundle of joy... [Image: connie_1.gif]
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
RE: Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious?
The closest to that I've read is Dan Dennett's "Breaking the Spell"
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

http://scholar.google.co.nz/scholar?q=th...4QgQMIFjAA

You're welcome
Dying to live, living to die.
(February 8, 2017 at 6:20 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: http://scholar.google.co.nz/scholar?q=th...4QgQMIFjAA

You're welcome
I'm not familiar with this program. How do you find the best book out of all of those?
(February 8, 2017 at 6:37 pm)WisdomOfTheTrees Wrote:
(February 8, 2017 at 6:20 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: http://scholar.google.co.nz/scholar?q=th...4QgQMIFjAA

You're welcome
I'm not familiar with this program. How do you find the best book out of all of those?

You'll need to make your choice on that.

Everyone has their own preferences, after all.
Are there any scientific books that explain why science works?

(February 8, 2017 at 6:18 pm)Alex K Wrote: The closest to that I've read is Dan Dennett's "Breaking the Spell"

Dennett believes that consciousness is an illusion. He also advocates the self-defeating notion that reason cannot be trusted. Anyone that can believe such absurdities cannot be taken seriously; although to his credit he has followed materialist philosophy to its logical extreme.
(February 8, 2017 at 7:03 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Are there any scientific books that explain why science works?
??? How does this relate to my question?
(February 8, 2017 at 7:03 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Are there any scientific books that explain why science works?

(February 8, 2017 at 6:18 pm)Alex K Wrote: The closest to that I've read is Dan Dennett's "Breaking the Spell"

Dennett believes that consciousness is an illusion. He also advocates the self-defeating notion that reason cannot be trusted. Anyone that can believe such absurdities cannot be taken seriously; although to his credit he has followed materialist philosophy to its logical extreme.

I don't know about your second claim, but I'm down with his point that "consciousness is an illusion", simplistically speaking. At least I don't thinkbl it's an absurdity.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Are there any religious books that explain why religion doesn't work and, over time, create nothing but schisms and conflict, often internal?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you're really a spektic then explain this: jasonstackhouse 142 5626 February 24, 2024 at 7:28 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Fine Tuning Principle: Devastating Disproof and Scientific Refutation of Atheism. Nishant Xavier 97 6610 September 20, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1003 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  What makes people irrational thinkers? SlowCalculations 228 18124 January 15, 2022 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  how do atheists explain nightmare Gano21 19 1351 January 2, 2022 at 4:50 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 980 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Purpose? Is there any? Seek3r 10 1254 July 23, 2020 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 2959 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 6983 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Books regarding atheism TrustMeOrNot 81 6689 November 24, 2019 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Tom Fearnley