Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump put call with Putin on hold to ask his aides to explain our nuclear arms treaty
Trump put call with Putin on hold to ask his aides to explain our nuclear arms treaty
Trump denounced arms-reduction treaty in Putin call: report

Quote:In his January call with Russian President Vladimir Putin, President Trump condemned a 2010 nuclear arms-reduction treaty as a bad deal for the U.S., Reuters reported Thursday.

Asked by Putin about the possibility of extending the treaty capping U.S. and Russian deployment of nuclear warheads — known as New START — Trump reportedly paused to ask his aides what the treaty was, two U.S. officials and one former U.S. official briefed on the call told Reuters.

He then told Putin it was one of a number of bad deals negotiated by former President Barack Obama and that it favored Russia, before launching into a conversation about his own popularity, according to the sources.

The official White House summary of the Jan. 28 call does not mention any discussion of the agreement.

The treaty gives both countries until 2018 to cut their strategic nuclear missile launchers to 1,550 — the lowest number in decades — and limits numbers of land- and submarine-launched missiles and heavy bombers.

Trump on the campaign trail had denounced the treaty, which he referred to as the “START Up” treaty. He claimed incorrectly that the Obama-era deal had allowed Russia to expand its nuclear capabilities while the U.S. could not. 

“They expanded and we didn't, 1,800 nuclear warheads,” he incorrectly argued during the final presidential debate in October. 

“Let me tell you, Putin has outsmarted ... Obama at every single step of the way. Take a look at the ‘START Up’ that they signed. The Russians have said, according to many, many reports, I can't believe they allowed us to do this. They create warheads, and we can't.”

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said during his confirmation hearings that he supported the deal, and that it was important for the U.S. to “hold them accountable to commitments made under the New START and also ensure our accountability as well.”

The deal, which expires in 2021, can be extended by mutual agreement for another five years, but absent an extension or a new agreement, both countries will be free to expand their arsenals. 

Trump in December sparked fears that he would touch off a new arms race between the two nations, when he tweeted that “the United States must greatly strengthen and expand its nuclear capability until such time as the world comes to its senses regarding nukes.”

The next day, he reportedly told MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” that he was open to engaging in an “arms race” with other countries, vowing to “outlast” them.

The reported details from his call with Putin also stoke fears that Trump is inadequately prepared to discuss policy with heads of state, with Reuters reporting he did not receive the kind of briefing normally given to presidents prior to his call with Putin.

It is unknown if Trump received a briefing from national security adviser Michael Flynn. He did not receive a briefing from either Russia experts with the National Security Council or intelligence agencies, according to two of the sources.

Good to hear!
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
RE: Trump put call with Putin on hold to ask his aides to explain our nuclear arms treaty
I am so flabbergasted. No, really!
RE: Trump put call with Putin on hold to ask his aides to explain our nuclear arms treaty
Well.. At least we'll have an abundant supply of radioisotopes for nuclear medical exams once the enrichment centerfuges spun up.

I'd love to just "wing it" for a day at my job.

“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
Ignorant, cocksure, vain, easily wounded, insecure, boastful, anti-intellectual, and petty . . . great traits for a President.

Again, thank you, minority of American voters! Well done.
(February 9, 2017 at 5:35 pm)Crossless1 Wrote: Ignorant, cocksure, vain, easily wounded, insecure, boastful, anti-intellectual, and petty . . . great traits for a President.

But he speaks his mind, Crossless1, he speaks his mind!
(February 9, 2017 at 5:36 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(February 9, 2017 at 5:35 pm)Crossless1 Wrote: Ignorant, cocksure, vain, easily wounded, insecure, boastful, anti-intellectual, and petty . . . great traits for a President.

But he speaks his mind, Crossless1, he speaks his mind!

He has no mind to speak, neither do the so called Americans who so called thinks he calls it like it so called is.

Even if Hillary had actually been convicted of doing something illegal, the vote shouldn't have been that close.

If only Jeb had won.

Trump is easily the most comprehensively incompetent head of government of any major power in the last century.  One may have to dig up one of the products of centuries of Hapsburg inbreeding to find another who come close in the previous 500 years.
Good thing I saved this! Time to dust this bad boy off.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrtKxGs2Ju_rbwnLdZPIv...4eduXPlzZ_]

Nukes... pshht
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(February 9, 2017 at 5:55 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: Trump is easily the most incompetent head of government of any major power in the last century. One may have to dig up one of the products of centuries of Hapsburg inbreeding to find another that come close in the previous 500 years.

Maybe we could entice North Korea with a swap? Toss in Dennis Rodman to sweeten the pot?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Putin it here Foxaèr 13 920 March 8, 2022 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Trump is Putin's gimp WinterHold 46 2689 December 21, 2020 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why do non english speaking countries call USA for USA Sweden83 9 1114 December 4, 2020 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Republican Representative compares his party's fight to Imperial Japanese Soldiers Rev. Rye 2 281 November 24, 2020 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 1058 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Russia's Putin wants traditional marriage and God in constitution zebo-the-fat 17 1543 March 4, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Explain the impeachment to me Nay_Sayer 23 2571 January 4, 2020 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  trump the republican asks communist china to investigate his potential election rival Anomalocaris 10 1069 October 4, 2019 at 10:18 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  trump announces his bid for reelection! Drich 154 14276 July 18, 2019 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Republicans, can you explain this to me? Losty 47 6688 May 10, 2019 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Amarok