Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I love Ebay, BUT . . . .
I love Ebay, BUT . . . .
OK, for YEARS I have been looking for some specific furniture items. Never had an alert from my watch list that includes the item (a table!) and the manufacturers name.

Was really getting puzzled at the lack of action on this variety of item (I have bought pieces at garage sales just by driving around on Saturdays and seeing them in driveways) and it's really weird, sooner or later, EVERYTHING will get on Ebay.

So today I was searching with more descriptive terms, and for some inexplicable reason, I dropped the manufacturers name.

Bingo!

Found 4 items for sale, and a past sale.  Even found some chairs I wasn't looking for that I already have.

So what was going on?

I looked at all the search terms for these hits, and the sellers aren't using the manufacturer's name, they are using the names of a few designers, and appending the word 'style'.

For example, let's say I'm looking for a 1973 Monte Carlo.  Searching on those terms get nowhere, but searching for "John DeLorean style car" brings up 1973 Monte Carlos.

Well, I haven't missed too many pieces with there only being a few available at a time, and actual sales in last 6 months only hitting one item.  And I think the motivation is 'Monte Carlo" doesn't have the financial payoff that "John DeLorean does.

Yeah, if I had been searching by price, I never would have found them today either.  These tables started at around $30 and went to maybe $150 to $200 back in the '70s.

LOL, the one I ordered today was a cheap one then (yeppers, a $30 piece) with shipping and the cache of a noted designer who had nothing to do with the piece, I'm spending over $100.

Well, Ebay to the rescue I guess. 

I had to send the seller directions on how to disassemble the item so FedEx/USPS can handle it.  They were going to motor freight it assembled, which is silly.

I did tell them to watch for more pieces and I gave them the name of the manufacturer too.

That might have cost me some more money on future items, now that I think about it . . . . .

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

RE: I love Ebay, BUT . . . .
and I know a seller questioning why he's there.

He blipped me $30 for an item (not related to the above) which was fine, even with the $23 shipping.

When item FINALLY arrived, the shipping label showed he paid $45 to send it, and I had been receiving messages from him along the way the item was returned to him twice for a bum address. So he spent $135 shipping me something he charged me $53 for, and also had to give Ebay their cut too.

Ouch.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I like eBay as well.
I live in a rural wasteland and am busy running the farm.

Taking a day off to go run around Omaha looking for something (like we used to do when I was a kid and the well broke, for instance) just isn't feasible. Ebay to the rescue.

But Ebay ain't perfect, but it is a great resource nevertheless.

All my Ehrman books are coming from Ebay, NOS for the most part.

(February 11, 2017 at 6:20 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: OK, for YEARS I have been looking for some specific furniture items.

Just... how 'specific'?... :o
'modern' looking stuff I had in my apartment living room circa 1980 or so.

It's also labelled 'vintage' and 'mid century antique' which I find to be TRULY annoying

I had some 'dorm room' style cement block and board book shelves back then too. I am NOT looking for that.

For over a year back then I had a 4X8 sheet of plywood with an Aurora model slot car set on it. I still have the track somewhere, but I won't have something like that in the living room again . . .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Winning on Ebay onlinebiker 2 183 October 10, 2020 at 12:39 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  Platonic Love Vs Romantic Love Edwardo Piet 27 6946 September 4, 2016 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Something cute to brighten up your day. If you didn't love cats, you love them now. IanHulett 34 6814 July 23, 2015 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: MTL
  eBay dynamics Darwinian 10 2052 August 28, 2011 at 11:21 pm
Last Post: Darwinian
  Woman Sells Toddler on Ebay. JohnDG 11 5539 May 25, 2011 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: bbrettle
  Do you shop on eBay? ib.me.ub 10 2319 October 28, 2010 at 4:43 am
Last Post: ib.me.ub
  The best eBay purchase ever! Tiberius 10 2288 July 21, 2010 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: LastPoet