Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do You Ever Miss God?
Do You Ever Miss God?
For those of you who have a history in a particular religion and moved away from it, I mean do you ever miss the feeling of believing you had a personal relationship with god?

A few weeks ago, to my surprise, I went through a period of nostalgia. I shouldn’t have been surprised. Twenty-five years of indoctrination and programing in fear and guilt, joy and gratitude don’t just go away just because I realize intellectually that Christianity isn’t true.

If I shared those feelings and the dreams I used to have of being left in the rapture with a Christian, they will have an explanation for it. This is why indoctrination is so important in religion. We’re programmed with the strongest emotions and religionists know the feelings won’t go away—not permanently. All it takes is a trigger, a song, a memory. Then the Christians can say aha, in your heart of hearts you know god exists. And if I don’t know better, I’ll have to believe their interpretation of what I feel.

But I do know better and I resent being played with. To program me to believe something and then use that programming as proof of my belief is disingenuous. Of course, now they can interpret my resentment as proof that I hate god.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Do You Ever Miss God?
I 100% do not miss this. The one thing Christianity did best in my life is hold me back from happiness. Depression is a far better companion.
I did periodically. It is hard to give up having magic in your life as well as eternal companionship with the long view on life that brings. But I don't think I have in at least 30 years now. I'm over it. Funny but I still have 'magic' in my life in so far as I admit I am a mystery to myself. Not everything is locked down and settled, nor is it all up to me. There is much about me that must be discovered, not decided upon. So it/I am a mystery.
The only thing I miss is the idea that I will see loved ones again. I understand death now and I accept it but sometimes I wish I was naive enough again to think I will see those I lost in heaven. Otherwise I don't miss anything to do with being religious or any relationship with god.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
I still get a church lady apple pie on occasion so there isn't anything I miss.

And liturgically, they've watered down everything I remember from growing up in it, so I wouldn't be missing out on good fodder to bring back here either. And as for the slacker and scripture cherry picking shit they're into now, we get that delivered directly here to AF, so we're good to go!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I miss the mainstreamishness of everybody in their Sunday Best, keeping up with the Joneses at the church. 

But I can do that anyway. No bible required.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Nope, not a bit.  In fact, there is nothing that I miss about Christianity.  Believing a lie is pointless, I'm glad I don't do it anymore.
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide mankind that cannot be achieved as well or better through secular means.
Bitch at my blog! Follow me on Twitter! Subscribe to my YouTube channel!
No i couldn't miss something i really never really believed in from the start.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I would really like to say no, but there are some aspects I do occasionally miss.  Meeting with acquaintances who you wouldn't normally go out of your way to see was kind of nice, for instance.  They weren't actually "friends", but I could still enjoy their company on those rare occasions when their company was actually enjoyable.  Probably the biggest things I miss, though, is how easy it is to "be somebody" in a church.  In real life I'm never going to be the guy who invented the faster than light drive or cured cancer.  But in the church I was somebody.  Even a kid in a fundamentalist church can be someone everyone looks up to by just being crazier than everyone else, believing more than anyone else.  Anyone who doesn't look up to the nuttiest kid on the block is looked and with suspicion, so they aren't important anyway.  But when you get right down to it, it's a little sick.
Have you ever noticed all the drug commercials on TV lately?  Why is it the side effects never include penile enlargement or super powers?
Side effects may include super powers or enlarged penis which may become permanent with continued use.  Stop taking Killatol immediately and consult your doctor if you experience penis enlargement of more than 3 inches, laser vision, superhuman strength, invulnerability, the ability to explode heads with your mind or time travel.  Killatoll is not for everyone, especially those who already have convertibles or vehicles of ridiculous size to supplement penis size.
(February 13, 2017 at 10:29 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: For those of you who have a history in a particular religion and moved away from it, I mean do you ever miss the feeling of believing you had a personal relationship with god?

I would say no.  My father is a practitioner of Judaism (though he was never really strict with me about it, nor is he a strict practitioner himself) and he brought me up in that faith via Sunday school and various Synagogue services on Friday nights (the Friday night services were a requirement for my Bar Mitzvah along with some after school Wednesday classes).  However, during this entire experience, I could never really say that I felt a special relationship with some other life-form in our reality.  At best, I observed a community of people who seemed to derive happiness and meaning from something they believed in, which gave them a unique path to follow in their lives; however, this path was not my own and by continuing to practice it, I was only letting others think for me; I was not being myself.  Hence, I do not miss my religious upbringing and the god concepts associated with it: if this chapter in my life had any meaning, then that meaning was brought forth via social conditioning and norms, which were not a true reflection of how I felt or thought.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do Atheists miss mostly about the 1970s Edge92 16 3663 June 4, 2021 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Would you as an atheist EVER do this? Alexmahone 41 6511 December 6, 2017 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Have you ever actually heard an response that made you stop and think? jmoney_419 32 5443 September 23, 2016 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  What's the lamest defence of Theism you've ever heard? FebruaryOfReason 458 52920 February 27, 2016 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
Question If you were ever a theist... *Deidre* 347 50618 January 12, 2016 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Guys: Would you ever rape and murder a girl? Mark94xCPP 224 50143 December 22, 2015 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Did your former religion ever make you feel broken? Cecelia 19 5429 November 11, 2015 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: abaris
  One Thing I Miss About Church is.... Athene 68 13394 November 4, 2015 at 5:58 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Your Craziest Religious Belief/Craziest Belief You've Ever Heard of Salacious B. Crumb 17 5656 May 18, 2015 at 8:21 am
Last Post: The Inquisition
  The dumbest fucking arguments you've ever heard. Creed of Heresy 111 29553 March 24, 2015 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy