Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do dictators take over?
How do dictators take over?
This is something I've been thinking about for a while now.

I remember, over the course of the last 8 years, the Tea Party and Faux News were constantly telling us all how Obama is going to turn America into an Islamic, fascist, communist dictatorship (which, I know, doesn't make any sense, but bear with me).  Thing is, none of that actually ever happened.  We still have elections, private property still exists.  Sharia law isn't civil law and Christianity is still the dominant religion in the Americas.  

But now, the shoe's on the other foot.  Trump is president and the GOP has the majority in both houses of congress.  I hear a lot of progressives, liberals, talking about fascism taking over, about Trump being a dictator.  Hell, 1984 has become a best seller because of the cheeto-faced twat and I've heard a lot of people rightly compare him to Brave New World as well.    Part of me certainly wants to agree.  His governing via executive order leaves me uncomfortable, as do his cabinet choices, but his attacking of the media is where it really scares me.

But, it does leave me to wonder?  How are the worries of the left any different from the worries the right had?  I mean, they were firmly convinced Obama would be the next Hitler; is it any more true that Trump will be some kind of horrible dictator?

Then I've also heard people say that we're too civilized, we're too advanced, we're too educated for a dictator to take over the United States.  I strongly disagree.  I think the people of Germany, USSR, Italy, France and China all saw themselves as great and advanced and civilized when dictators took over their countries.  Gotta take off those rose colored glasses when you look at yourself critically.

So, that's what I wanted to go over.  Historically speaking, what are the conditions that lead to a dictator taking over?  What would such an administration look like?  And, maybe the most alarming, has anyone else noticed any parallels  between modern politics and what we saw when other great nations fell into insanity?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: How do dictators take over?
Dictators take over with money, psychopathic charisma and complete lack of conscience.
(February 18, 2017 at 2:48 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Dictators take over with money, psychopathic charisma and complete lack of conscience.

Dictators take over by divorcing a major part of the population from reality and habituating them to a steady diet of toxic patriotism and a venomous make belief that their minimum rightful deserts absolutely require the abuse of others.
If the checks and balances work how they should Trump will just be a grossly incompetent man-child of a president. I really think this is the likely outcome. Still he could do some very messed up stuff.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
(February 18, 2017 at 2:54 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(February 18, 2017 at 2:48 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Dictators take over with money, psychopathic charisma and complete lack of conscience.

Dictators take over by divorcing a major part of the population from reality and habituating them to a steady diet of toxic patriotism and a venomous make belief that their minimum rightful deserts absolutely require the abuse of others.

Same thing.
(February 18, 2017 at 2:56 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote:
(February 18, 2017 at 2:54 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: Dictators take over by divorcing a major part of the population from reality and habituating them to a steady diet of toxic patriotism and a venomous make belief that their minimum rightful deserts absolutely require the abuse of others.

Same thing.

You are talking about the attributes. I am talking about the methods.
(February 18, 2017 at 2:34 pm)TaraJo Wrote: But, it does leave me to wonder?  How are the worries of the left any different from the worries the right had?  I mean, they were firmly convinced Obama would be the next Hitler; is it any more true that Trump will be some kind of horrible dictator?

One set of worries are based on what might happen
The other set is based on what is happening
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(February 18, 2017 at 2:34 pm)TaraJo Wrote: This is something I've been thinking about for a while now.

I remember, over the course of the last 8 years, the Tea Party and Faux News were constantly telling us all how Obama is going to turn America into an Islamic, fascist, communist dictatorship (which, I know, doesn't make any sense, but bear with me).  Thing is, none of that actually ever happened.  We still have elections, private property still exists.  Sharia law isn't civil law and Christianity is still the dominant religion in the Americas.  

But now, the shoe's on the other foot.  Trump is president and the GOP has the majority in both houses of congress.  I hear a lot of progressives, liberals, talking about fascism taking over, about Trump being a dictator.  Hell, 1984 has become a best seller because of the cheeto-faced twat and I've heard a lot of people rightly compare him to Brave New World as well.    Part of me certainly wants to agree.  His governing via executive order leaves me uncomfortable, as do his cabinet choices, but his attacking of the media is where it really scares me.

But, it does leave me to wonder?  How are the worries of the left any different from the worries the right had?  I mean, they were firmly convinced Obama would be the next Hitler; is it any more true that Trump will be some kind of horrible dictator?

Then I've also heard people say that we're too civilized, we're too advanced, we're too educated for a dictator to take over the United States.  I strongly disagree.  I think the people of Germany, USSR, Italy, France and China all saw themselves as great and advanced and civilized when dictators took over their countries.  Gotta take off those rose colored glasses when you look at yourself critically.

So, that's what I wanted to go over.  Historically speaking, what are the conditions that lead to a dictator taking over?  What would such an administration look like?  And, maybe the most alarming, has anyone else noticed any parallels  between modern politics and what we saw when other great nations fell into insanity?

Bit like the current one, except there's more ruthlesness and competence with respect to gaining and keeping power but just about as incompetent with respect to using it.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(February 18, 2017 at 2:57 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(February 18, 2017 at 2:56 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Same thing.

You are talking about the attributes.  I am talking about the methods.

Irrelevant. You cretin. You were super out of line towards Bella Morte to an astronomical level.

I'm drunk so ignore me before this escalates.
[Image: 043822d9d3a9a809f5c1cc05a8e18459.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why did pagans not take any notice of Jesus? Jehanne 131 10285 March 16, 2019 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: fredd bear