Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists who have never read common atheist literature
Atheists who have never read common atheist literature
I feel ashamed at times to say that as an atheist I have never read the very popular atheist books like the God Delusion or Godless. When I left Islam I simply dropped it whole sale after a year of critical examination and moved on. I have to give credit to a bit of Islamic philosophy and reasoning for my status as a murtad. Fulsafa was very important to me and it made me heavily criticize the religion and disassociate myself from it. But I always hear of so many atheist having their lack of faith in religion/god strengthened or broken by some book that criticizes religion. Most people who I have met that leave Islam abandon it because of its pure stupidity and abuse of logical fallacies that are blatant to 5 year olds.
I am sort of old school, as the best way to become an atheist is to understand the religion you believe in. Islam and Christianity are self defeating religions. All you have to do is read the damn books.
Ut supra, ita inferius
[Image: 0c112e9da4d42c24a073c335a3e38de1_zpsezmp...g~original]
Uƚ ƨuqɿɒ, iƚɒ inʇɘɿiuƨ
RE: Atheists who have never read common atheist literature
No need to feel ashamed for not reading atheist literature.

Just not believing theist's claims that a god exists is as far as you need to go, to be an "atheist in good standing".

Although, reading a few atheist books did help me hone my arguments a bit better to more easily refute theist's arguments. Not that tough to be sure.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Bible, Book of Mormon, Dianetics, etal, can be very good primers on atheism.

Failing reading the Holy tomes, listening to a Christian or a Mormon apologist would do the trick too.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I'd like to think that reasoning your way out of the crazy is a much better way than reading a bunch of literature that defies that belief. In the end, you actually own it, and know why.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(February 20, 2017 at 9:15 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Bible, Book of Mormon, Dianetics, etal, can be very good primers on atheism.

Failing reading the Holy tomes, listening to a Christian or a Mormon apologist would do the trick too.

Just not anything from a creationist.

Your brain will commit suicide slowly.
Dying to live, living to die.
Not read a single one. Get bits and pieces, here and there. 

Were these guys/gals/authors/speakers around 45 years ago?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(February 20, 2017 at 8:38 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: No need to feel ashamed for not reading atheist literature.

Just not believing theist's claims that a god exists is as far as you need to go, to be an "atheist in good standing".

Although, reading a few atheist books did help me hone my arguments a bit better to more easily refute theist's arguments. Not that tough to be sure.

What arguments did you refute?
(February 20, 2017 at 8:38 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: No need to feel ashamed for not reading atheist literature.

Well maybe it is more embarrassing because I am a bibliophile and collect books. I have read so many classics and timeless works of literature yet I have never in about 5 years touched a single book that supports my own atheism or anti-theism I should say. Maybe Nietzsche counts but I think anyone will come across him given time. 
That cosmic mustache is just lurching through the space-time continuum nabbing mankind by the crotches.
Ut supra, ita inferius
[Image: 0c112e9da4d42c24a073c335a3e38de1_zpsezmp...g~original]
Uƚ ƨuqɿɒ, iƚɒ inʇɘɿiuƨ
I was an atheist long before reading any atheist literature. I've read a few in the last ten years, but except for Hitchens, who imo was a gifted writer, the crop of books makes for dreary reading.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Atheists and Agnostics that have child Eclectic 11 1143 August 28, 2022 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  We atheists now have our own social network rado84 16 1684 August 12, 2021 at 7:51 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2775 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Does Atheists have acceptability ? hindu 40 4448 July 18, 2020 at 6:04 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Have you met people criticizing atheists who use the expression OMG Der/die AtheistIn 30 4089 April 3, 2019 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Simon Moon
  The Never-Addressed reasons that lead me to Atheism Chimera7 26 3543 August 20, 2018 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Our Role(s) as Atheists on an Atheist Forum. ignoramus 28 3700 May 12, 2018 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Ok Atheists! I have God Delusion! Catholic_Lady 54 9514 April 14, 2018 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2176 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Never had that happen before Astonished 6 2466 August 11, 2017 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37