Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Nature Of Truth
The Nature Of Truth
I’ve been thinking about what the ultimate nature of truth actually is. Every person has a different sort of truth in their mind, which is subjective to their interpretation of the world through their senses. Yet we still seem to think that there’s truth, and that there’s a right and wrong answer to something. When you think about it, everyone’s interpretations of things are just a bunch of noises and sounds and sensations of things they’ve touched, etc. We add structure to these things ourselves and make patterns off of what we’ve absorbed through our senses. I think in order to establish what is truth, you’d have to establish what is thought, because thought inexplicably takes meaningless noises and stimuli and creates some sort of meaning out of it. 

When you see that the stimuli that enter the brain are ultimately meaningless, you might even say that words are ultimately meaningless. Yet human beings minds, I believe seek patterns. Perhaps patterns are what distinguish a thought from a meaningless symbol. A pattern itself is something which is meaningless with meaning attached to it; it’s a string of same things which are next to each other; next is a concept which has meaning, and so on; it’s just a never ending hierarchy of contradictions, where something that shouldn’t have any meaning keeps trying to add meaning to the next thing, but ultimately it leads nowhere. Perhaps this ultimately paradoxical endless string of meaningless patterns is the ultimate nature of truth. Truth itself is a paradox.

Yet it would seem that there’s a problem with saying that a string of meaningless symbols, adding meaning in a hierarchy of contradictions, could be the only ultimate nature of truth, because obviously there is falsehood, untruth. Perhaps in the hierarchy, when one says something false, one would attach erroneous, meaningless non sequiturs to the hierarchy, which break the chain of contradictions leading to more contradictions; of meaningless symbols leading to contradictory self referential concepts of meaning, which are paradoxical because the ultimate nature of the stimuli is meaningless. In this way, I believe the nature of truth is paradoxical, the nature of the pattern seeking mind creates an illusion of truth.
RE: The Nature Of Truth
1+1 =2 (2*1) is an inalienable universal truth in any universe...

As are the relative weights (to each other) of the elements in our universe...

There's probably lots more...

Could we call these absolute objective truths? I don't know anymore...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
[Image: wut_eriko_satoh.jpg]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
[Image: 1k1lsv.jpg]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(February 20, 2017 at 9:14 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: [Image: wut_eriko_satoh.jpg]

Had reply to OP. Can't now. Brain locked.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 20, 2017 at 9:02 pm)WisdomOfTheTrees Wrote: I’ve been thinking about what the ultimate nature of truth actually is. Every person has a different sort of truth in their mind, which is subjective to their interpretation of the world through their senses. Yet we still seem to think that there’s truth, and that there’s a right and wrong answer to something. When you think about it, everyone’s interpretations of things are just a bunch of noises and sounds and sensations of things they’ve touched, etc. We add structure to these things ourselves and make patterns off of what we’ve absorbed through our senses. I think in order to establish what is truth, you’d have to establish what is thought, because thought inexplicably takes meaningless noises and stimuli and creates some sort of meaning out of it. 
I've thought in a similar vein.

I think that we are able to construct meaning out from the abstractions of our surroundings. I mean, for example we can make an abstraction of roundness of a stone or any other round structure to discover the constant π (pi) from the circumference divided by it's diameter for any arbitrary circle. That's something which is true regardless of who discovers it, which I also find to be the beauty of math.

---

I can't vouch for the rest of OP, because I don't understand what you're trying to convey.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Is The Truth. disobey 81 6492 August 21, 2023 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  What is truth. deepend 50 2894 March 31, 2022 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The Truth deepend 130 4555 March 24, 2022 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Truth about Ethnicity onlinebiker 41 2608 September 2, 2020 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Does the head follow the heart in matters of truth? Angrboda 63 8791 March 19, 2018 at 7:42 am
Last Post: John V
  ...Truth? Definitely Disillusioned 93 18824 June 30, 2017 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  The Dogma of Human Nature WisdomOfTheTrees 15 2541 February 8, 2017 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Is there objective Truth? Soldat Du Christ 455 46518 November 7, 2016 at 5:39 am
Last Post: GUBU
  A question for those who believe truth is not absolute GrandizerII 92 7755 July 21, 2016 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: quip
  The nature of evidence Wryetui 150 15213 May 6, 2016 at 6:21 am
Last Post: ignoramus