Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idiot's guide to taking care of a frying pan?
I am not the best at keeping my dishes and cooking tools clean, and my home doesn't have a dish washer. This isn't really a problem with my cups, bowls, and plates, because a good scrubbing before a meal gets it clean and ready to use again.

Except for the pan I use to cook my meats over the oven. Even when I wash the thing every day, it still gets rust spots, or greasy buildup, or whatever else that kind of ruins the pan over time. These things are supposed to last more than a few months, right? It's not normal to replace 2-3 pans a year, is it?

I need advice for the sake of the frying pans who came before.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

RE: Idiot's guide to taking care of a frying pan?
What sort of pan is it (non-stick, stainless steel, copper etc)?

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
If it's rusting, you're leaving moisture on it at some point for too long. Also, if it is cast iron, it needs entirely different care.
It's non stick, though I'm not sure if it's stainless steel.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I roast in one of these:

[Image: il_fullxfull.322349288.jpg]

Wagner Ware magna-lite !!

Came with the house, I assume it is late 40's, early 50's.  I haven't done anything to ruin it yet.

I did soak it in an alum solution once to brighten it up a little.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

An easy way to keep your pan from rusting is to brown flour on it after washing it, wipe out the browned flour with a dry cloth....then rub it with oil.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
If non stick and rusting you've scrapped through the non stick layer/coat, probably by using metal cooking utensils or to much of an abrasive when cleaning. 

There is nothing wrong with rust. My cast iron rusts all of the time and I just cook on top of it. 

Don't like rust, use an oil rub after washing. Switch to aluminium/stainless steel.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I prefer cast iron with ceramic inlay.  It's the only way to properly fry chicken without a pressure fryer.  Gotta use plastic or wood utensils...but ceramic makes care a non-issue.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 21, 2017 at 1:38 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: If non stick and rusting you've scrapped through the non stick layer/coat, probably by using metal cooking utensils or to much of an abrasive when cleaning. 

There is nothing wrong with rust. My cast iron rusts all of the time and I just cook on top of it. 

Don't like rust, use an oil rub after washing. Switch to aluminium/stainless steel.

I hope you don't use soap on a cast iron pan. Just scrape it out then wipe. It should never have any rust as the surface should be oiled all the time.
(February 21, 2017 at 2:03 pm)KUSA Wrote:
(February 21, 2017 at 1:38 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: If non stick and rusting you've scrapped through the non stick layer/coat, probably by using metal cooking utensils or to much of an abrasive when cleaning. 

I hope you don't use soap on a cast iron pan. Just scrape it out then wipe. It should never have any rust as the surface should be oiled all the time.

Flame thrower.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Different Brand of Idiot onlinebiker 39 1613 July 21, 2020 at 11:02 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Anyone thinking of taking part in Movember? Cod 29 2336 October 29, 2018 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The Valkyrie's Guide to... The Valkyrie 53 4470 October 4, 2018 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Taking a break Godscreated 3 282 July 19, 2018 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Joods
  Stupid humans & risk taking Brian37 20 4173 March 25, 2018 at 11:24 am
Last Post: rskovride
  Brain Frying, IT, Stalkers WinterHold 26 3400 January 24, 2018 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
Heart Important To All My Friends: Seriously taking an AF break. Edwardo Piet 49 3998 December 5, 2016 at 12:48 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Parents not taking there crying child outside at a restaurant or store Sterben 65 6121 May 2, 2016 at 9:15 pm
Last Post: Sterben
  Idiot blew his leg off KUSA 59 6073 March 29, 2016 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Challenge: Formulate a guide to win a Nobel Prize ErGingerbreadMandude 17 2441 February 3, 2016 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: c172