Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We might be moving to Germany!
We might be moving to Germany!
Temporarily.  Big Grin

My husband just applied to, and had an interview with, a company that requires one year at their German branch for training.  They are very excited about him, and he is very excited about this opportunity!  He will have a technical interview in 2 to 4 weeks, and within a week or so after that, we will know if he got the job. It's a software automation company.

It seems he has all the skills they are looking for.  They are building a new team, so they want fresh college grads, and it happens that my husbands specific areas of studies and interests neatly align with what they are looking for.  It is a bonus to them (and us) that we are flexible enough to move to another country, and have already taken a special interest in Germany.  

The permanent position is still in Oregon, and it happens to be in my home town, so that is also really great news all around.  After our stay in Germany, we would move to Bend, Oregon.  There would be semi-frequent trips for my husband back and forth, and he likes that as he enjoys travel.  The pay is great, too!

So we now have a very good reason to focus on learning German. I have to admit that although we've continued lessons, it's been more like puttering around in a language than learning it.  I need to do this seriously now.  Even if he does not get this job, a number of the jobs he's looked at are either German based, or have offices in Germany.  So I'd love to develop some kind of skype buddy thing with a German speaker, if anyone is interested?  I did pen pal with Alex for a while, but I slacked off on that (Sorry Alex!).  Also, I think learning to speak it is more important than learning to read/write it, for now.  I have programs a that are teaching me the written part, speaking it with my daughter has been complicated because there is no one to correct us or learn from.

I've got this idea about setting up a "mini-Germany" in our home to force ourselves into immersion, but it seems a lot easier said than done.

Anyway, so 4.25 years of college and stress and very hard work is finally about to pay off for my husband, and for us!  he's got 3 companies that are very interested in him, and 2 of them are German based, so chances are we really will need to take this seriously.

So anyway, I'm very excited!  I've never been to any European country before.  I really hope this all pans out!
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
RE: We might be moving to Germany!
That sounds like an amazing opportunity! Congratulations to you both, I hope that comes to fruition for you.

Germany is beautiful and I recommend traveling in Europe as much as his schedule permits while you are there.
Congrats on your life update, I hope everything works out. It's a shame though their only offering a U.S based position. I think it would of been cool to have the chance stay in Germany on a the permit job side of things.
     “A man isn't tiny or giant enough to defeat anything” Yukio Mishima

(February 21, 2017 at 8:09 pm)Sterben Wrote: Congrats on your life update, I hope everything works out. It's a shame though their only offering a U.S based position. I think it would of been cool to have the chance stay in Germany on a the permit job side of things.
Thank you Smile

It's always a possibility, as their home base is in Germany.  Although they are seeking to expand their U.S office, they already have at least one person who came from the U.S and ended up staying in their German office, so he was told it's possible.  It's likely they'd want him to spend some time at the Bend office at least, before deciding where he's be most useful the company.

Even if it lands permanently in Bend, there is complete certainly of travel to Germany at least once a year for one week to one month.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Best of luck!!
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Oh, it's for a job. From the thread title, I thought you might've lost a bet or something. (sorry, Alex - just too easy Smile )

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
That's wonderful! I lived in Germany for three years while my mom was stationed there. We lived in Frankfurt and Mannheim and as a kid it was amazing. I learned German quickly in school and saw such wonderful places. We were able to visit Luxembourg, Holland, France, and Spain which really showed me different culture at a young age. I think this will be a great thing for your family and I hope for the best for y'all!
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
Enjoy yourself
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
(February 21, 2017 at 7:59 pm)Aroura Wrote: Temporarily.  Big Grin

My husband just applied to, and had an interview with, a company that requires one year at their German branch for training.  They are very excited about him, and he is very excited about this opportunity!  He will have a technical interview in 2 to 4 weeks, and within a week or so after that, we will know if he got the job. It's a software automation company.

It seems he has all the skills they are looking for.  They are building a new team, so they want fresh college grads, and it happens that my husbands specific areas of studies and interests neatly align with what they are looking for.  It is a bonus to them (and us) that we are flexible enough to move to another country, and have already taken a special interest in Germany.  

The permanent position is still in Oregon, and it happens to be in my home town, so that is also really great news all around.  After our stay in Germany, we would move to Bend, Oregon.  There would be semi-frequent trips for my husband back and forth, and he likes that as he enjoys travel.  The pay is great, too!

So we now have a very good reason to focus on learning German. I have to admit that although we've continued lessons, it's been more like puttering around in a language than learning it.  I need to do this seriously now.  Even if he does not get this job, a number of the jobs he's looked at are either German based, or have offices in Germany.  So I'd love to develop some kind of skype buddy thing with a German speaker, if anyone is interested?  I did pen pal with Alex for a while, but I slacked off on that (Sorry Alex!).  Also, I think learning to speak it is more important than learning to read/write it, for now.  I have programs a that are teaching me the written part, speaking it with my daughter has been complicated because there is no one to correct us or learn from.

I've got this idea about setting up a "mini-Germany" in our home to force ourselves into immersion, but it seems a lot easier said than done.

Anyway, so 4.25 years of college and stress and very hard work is finally about to pay off for my husband, and for us!  he's got 3 companies that are very interested in him, and 2 of them are German based, so chances are we really will need to take this seriously.

So anyway, I'm very excited!  I've never been to any European country before.  I really hope this all pans out!

That's awesome.

My fingers are cross for you both.

Good luck.
Dying to live, living to die.
(February 21, 2017 at 8:17 pm)Aroura Wrote:
(February 21, 2017 at 8:09 pm)Sterben Wrote: Congrats on your life update, I hope everything works out. It's a shame though their only offering a U.S based position. I think it would of been cool to have the chance stay in Germany on a the permit job side of things.
Thank you Smile

It's always a possibility, as their home base is in Germany.  Although they are seeking to expand their U.S office, they already have at least one person who came from the U.S and ended up staying in their German office, so he was told it's possible.  It's likely they'd want him to spend some time at the Bend office at least, before deciding where he's be most useful the company.

Even if it lands permanently in Bend, there is complete certainly of travel to Germany at least once a year for one week to one month.
        It be a dream to get out of The Trump land theme park for awhile, at least you might be out the country for a year though.
     “A man isn't tiny or giant enough to defeat anything” Yukio Mishima

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You might be crazy if… BrokenQuill92 22 1058 December 28, 2021 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  I might be Brisbane bound again.. Brian37 72 5258 April 27, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  English Language Books in Germany Rhondazvous 2 438 September 9, 2018 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Guest shots that might not go so well... Gawdzilla Sama 33 2621 August 22, 2018 at 5:11 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Usernames you might have used? Gawdzilla Sama 36 5291 June 29, 2018 at 6:42 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Do We Have AF Members in Spain (Who Might Want to Meet Us) Jenny A 3 1293 April 2, 2018 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Up and moving BrokenQuill92 9 1856 July 28, 2017 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  You might think Libertarians are... chimp3 1 619 October 27, 2016 at 2:25 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I wish I may, I wish I might. IATIA 28 3979 July 4, 2015 at 3:37 am
Last Post: Mothonis
  Thinking of College....In Germany Lemonvariable72 10 2724 October 11, 2014 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut