Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theistic Inclinations
Theistic Inclinations
Hello all,

I would like to inform all that I have theistic inclinations. When I apply rationalism, I am clearly an atheist. When I let go of rationalism and let my emotions run, I feel lightened up with thoughts about god.

Regardless whether god exists or not, it is good to live with imagination at times. These times, my imagination includes god.

Deliberate rationality leaves me depressed and feeling empty. Ideally, I'll limit use rationality to only times when I am handling scientific issues, addressing humanitarian issues and dealing with the reality.

I hope that this can spark a good discussion,

Regards
RE: Theistic Inclinations
I understand. Being a scientist by training I can't help myself but to enjoy the rational view of the world, and connect that rational view of the universe with a Sagan'esque sense of awe which allows me to not feel empty despite not believing that some personal God is orchestrating things.

If that still doesn't do it for you, that's what good old escapism is for Smile
i.e. good books, music, movies etc. When I feel like I need a dose of that, I think about the steampunk novel I'm planning on the side which takes place in an alternate timeline.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Most of us have emotions, but it doesn't necessarily translate to theism. Do you want to expand on that, also what is your connection to Hinduism?
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
As a Hindu, would you not agree that within your religious tradition there are highly developed and deliberate practices for sorting out the veracity of subjective experiences? It seems to me that first-person experience with the Divine has an immediacy that is every bit as real and as rational as interpretations of third-person phenomena. The tools may be different but no less empirical. Anyone could in theory practice the required austerities and confirm for themselves the reality of the Divine. The fact that not all people do is no different from the fact that not all people practice the scientific disciplines necessary to confirm natural theories. And I would also note that those so-called objective findings are ultimately mediated by minds in the first person.
(February 23, 2017 at 11:20 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: As a Hindu, would you not agree that within your religious tradition there are highly developed and deliberate practices for sorting out the veracity of subjective experiences? It seems to me that first-person experience with the Divine has an immediacy that is every bit as real and as rational as interpretations of third-person phenomena. The tools may be different but no less empirical. Anyone could in theory practice the required austerities and confirm for themselves the reality of the Divine. The fact that not all people do is no different from the fact that not all people practice the scientific disciplines necessary to confirm natural theories. And I would also note that those so-called objective findings are ultimately mediated by minds in the first person.

I can't tell if you a taking exception to something implicit in what the OP had said or meaning to agree with him.  

But would you really put the preparations for divine experience on the same level as for scientific practices (as indicated where I bolded).  In the case of scientific practice there is the possibility of replication and peer review.  We're talking about third person phenomena available to others.  But even if religious practitioners follow the same carefully prescribed procedures there would not seem to the possibility to review each other's results, no?
(February 23, 2017 at 6:31 am)Adventurer Wrote: Deliberate rationality leaves me depressed and feeling empty.
Why?  Anything in particular?

Quote:Ideally, I'll limit use rationality to only times when I am handling scientific issues, addressing humanitarian issues and dealing with the reality.
Doesn't leave much room for god, does it?   Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 23, 2017 at 11:34 am)Whateverist Wrote:
(February 23, 2017 at 11:20 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: As a Hindu, would you not agree that within your religious tradition there are highly developed and deliberate practices for sorting out the veracity of subjective experiences? It seems to me that first-person experience with the Divine has an immediacy that is every bit as real and as rational as interpretations of third-person phenomena. The tools may be different but no less empirical. Anyone could in theory practice the required austerities and confirm for themselves the reality of the Divine. The fact that not all people do is no different from the fact that not all people practice the scientific disciplines necessary to confirm natural theories. And I would also note that those so-called objective findings are ultimately mediated by minds in the first person.

I can't tell if you a taking exception to something implicit in what the OP had said or meaning to agree with him.  

But would you really put the preparations for divine experience on the same level as for scientific practices (as indicated where I bolded).  In the case of scientific practice there is the possibility of replication and peer review.  We're talking about third person phenomena available to others.  But even if religious practitioners follow the same carefully prescribed procedures there would not seem to the possibility to review each other's results, no?

Yes, I do believe they are equivalent. Suppose I told you and another friend about an elusive black swan that lived in a pond in rural Norway. You and my friend are incredulous but he goes to Norway while you stay home. When he comes back he tells you that, yes, he too saw the black swan. In essence he qualifies as a peer who has replicated my observation. In the same way, if I tell you that in order to find God you must spend 20 years in earnest meditation under the guidance of an acknowledged guru and you choose not to because it would require a serious commitment that does not undermine the empirical nature the experience. That's actually what empirical means - capable of being independently observed and experienced.

Similarly if you want to find a Higgs Boson you have to build a multi-billion dollar particle collider (sp) It would be rather silly to say that before accepting the results you have to build a second multi-billion dollar collider to replicate the results.

Now to continue the analogy, my friend and I not only directly observed the black swan, we have photographs to share. The photos still are not immediate verification; but rather mediated, so your acceptance of them as evidence of a black swan requires acceptance of a whole host of conditions not required by direct observation, such as the veracity of photographic evidence, your confidence in our truthfulness etc. Likewise, those who practice contemplative prayer or practice Eastern meditation or sudden epiphanies have profound experiences that on-their-own justify their beliefs. Holy scripture, rational demonstrations and the like are supplemental to such experiences - tools to make sense of those primal experiences by drawing on the testimony and reflections of others.

I am perfectly willing to accept that believers of other religious traditions have had direct experiential access to the Divine. That does not mean I must also accept doctrinal interpretations of those experiences or not use reason to discern differences and similarities between them. It seems to me, that even many atheists on AF have prayed the sinners prayer, had a profound experience, and then later dismissed it. I often wonder to what extent they compared and contrasted those experiences not only with their fellow parishioners but also against reports such as the The Cloud of Unknowing, Saint John of the Cross, or even Sri Ramakrishna or Rumi to try and truly understand what they experienced, using tools appropriate to that task, and not immediately turned to the methods of natural science to explain it away.
Well, there's the trouble...right at the start.  You believe they are equivalent when they can be demonstrably shown to be otherwise.  Such is the nature of belief, lol.

By all means, get back to me when you have a picture of that fairy.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Indeed the characteristics of what you are attempting is inherently non-replicable.  
It's more akin to describing hallucinations under the influence of narcotics, which vary considerably between individuals being 'good' or 'bad' at random.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
I find a world without a supernatural caretaker infinitely more meaningful than a world with a supernatural caretaker.

Even though the world without one has zero meaning. Because a world with one has negative meaning Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on Theistic Evolution GrandizerII 19 2503 October 23, 2018 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Theistic thoughts Foxaèr 3 919 May 26, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  We need more theistic activity Foxaèr 103 22839 May 7, 2018 at 2:16 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Theistic evolution maestroanth 16 4305 July 28, 2016 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Theistic Paradigm in a Nutshell Rhondazvous 15 3264 April 6, 2016 at 12:35 am
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Theistic evolution Christian 24 7054 October 24, 2014 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Theistic morality Foxaèr 64 21643 May 28, 2014 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: FilthyMeat
  Worst Theistic Argument Eilonnwy 60 27360 October 6, 2009 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: fr0d0