Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is Your Definition of Reasonable Faith?
What is Your Definition of Reasonable Faith?
Hello everyone.   Suppose that your definition of sufficient (whatever that may be) proof for the existence of a deity was satisfied.  Also, suppose that the nature of this deity is completely different from the one described by human theists. Hence, assume that whatever objections you had to human theists' versions of god do not apply to this lifeform. 

Now, would you accept the existence of this lifeform only and just go about your business?  Would you like to interact with it and learn from it (this process would not have to be through religion or any form of worship)?

Hence, as members of the secular community, are you  more opposed to  how humanity has collectively chosen to enact and practice their god concepts than to the actual idea of a god-like being itself?

RE: What is Your Definition of Reasonable Faith?
Just quietly, I don't understand why any being powerful enough to be classified as a god would ever bother with us.
What exactly is so special about us to warrant the attention of said being?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
As George Carlin put it, the 'real' God is busy hurling gas balls around the firmament.

We're stuck with the Western Marketing Manager.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(February 24, 2017 at 2:48 am)ignoramus Wrote: Just quietly, I don't understand why any being powerful enough to be classified as a god would ever bother with us.
What exactly is so special about us to warrant the attention of said being?

Excellent point.  Perhaps learning how to fully embrace ourselves as a species would be a good starting point toward warranting such a visit from said life-form?

Can't really get into imagining a deity as a being in its own right. Just no. But thinking of it as something fairly autonomous that you have on board which can enhance your life. That should be enough. An honest theist should at least be able to admit they don't know whether the god they think know is in the greater world or just their own psyche.
An honest theist? Mark, I can't imagine any of them admitting to the second part! Otherwise they wouldn't be good Christians... Lying to yourself is part of indoctrination. You need to believe 100% that's it's all true before you can even begin to preach...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(February 24, 2017 at 2:42 am)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote: Hello everyone.   Suppose that your definition of sufficient (whatever that may be) proof for the existence of a deity was satisfied.  Also, suppose that the nature of this deity is completely different from the one described by human theists. Hence, assume that whatever objections you had to human theists' versions of god do not apply to this lifeform. 
k.

Quote:Now, would you accept the existence of this lifeform only and just go about your business?
Yup, bit like squirrels.

Quote:Would you like to interact with it and learn from it (this process would not have to be through religion or any form of worship)?
The notion that we have something to learn from it is one of those things you tossed in the bin, above, when stating that human theists versions of god do not apply to this lifeform.  
Quote:Hence, as members of the secular community, are you  more opposed to  how humanity has collectively chosen to enact and practice their god concepts than to the actual idea of a god-like being itself?
I don't think that the two are separable, at all.   You tried, above...look how that turned out.   Wink 

However, to answer the question on it's merits, lol, that I don;t believe the god botherers when they tell me that there's a god isn't an objection.  It's just a statement of fact.  I, personally, object to their shitty gods strictures and systems and normative proclamations.  Which is why I tell them that the existence of their god is irrelevant to my status of faith.  Their faiths fail, for me, not on grounds of the existence of their god...but on ethical/moral grounds unrelated to the existence of a deity.    

I don't have a skeptical objection to their god (I don't believe in it, sure, but I don't believe in alot of things and some of them probably -are- true to some extent...brute force of numbers, lol)...I have a moral commitment to oppose their religions regardless. If someone came up with a less-than-miserable god concept...and religion surrounding it...I;d tell them that I dn;t believe them...still....but hey, carry on, right? Nothing immediately objectionable, so go do and believe in your god shit to your hearts content.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I can see how a person could be convinced by a personal or inner experience that they can't provide evidence of yet they found completely compelling. It's kind of the nature of such experiences (whether from peyote, a week of fasting, an NDE, or whatever) that they often (not always) compel belief from the person having the experience.

It could be reasonable to believe under those circumstances. However, whether their belief is reasonable depends a lot on what actions the deity they believe they've experienced wants from them. If it turns a bigoted weasel into civil rights champion, I haven't much complaint. If it turns a civil rights champion into a bigoted weasel, that's a real shame.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Just to answer your question,I'd probably at least attempt to communicate with this godlike being.

But if it was one of those deals where God said he'd tell me everything I want to know but the answers are likely to leave me suicidally depressed or drive me insane I'd probably go about my bussiness happy and ignorant.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

That would be a compelling faith, but not a reasonable one.  It's trivially easy to understand and acknowledge a compelling faith, imo. The trouble, ofc, is that some of the most compelling things in human experience are also some of the least reasonable.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3866 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  What is a theist other then the basic definition? Quill01 4 714 August 1, 2022 at 11:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1244 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 933 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 10962 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 12259 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Faith industry Graufreud 8 829 August 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My faith is on hold. Mystic 16 4198 May 3, 2018 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Do Christians have faith in oxygen/air? MellisaClarke 83 13257 January 3, 2018 at 6:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  What makes your faith true? Fake Messiah 237 33094 November 12, 2017 at 3:27 am
Last Post: Odoital77