Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 4:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trumpism has xtian support because of what DeVos represents
Trumpism has xtian support because of what DeVos represents
All this time I've been in shock that so many xtians are so strongly in support of Trump in spite of his seemingly un-xtian values.  But I just realized how essentially unfair it must feel to them to be taxed to support public education when so many feel the necessity to home school their kids for fear of losing them to secularism.  From my own point of view, my reaction has been: tough, that is the price of remaining in the bronze age.  But it isn't too hard to realize why from their point of view it would be easy to support a political strong man who would push aside the rational reasons for the status quo and simply redress what feels unfair to them. 

From a secular viewpoint (mine at least) xtian's fear of education leading to godlessness is just the burden of promoting a lifestyle which requires indoctrination.

DeVos speaks publicly in support of getting god back in the schools.  This is where Trump's nativism dovetails with this assault on public education.  Rather than sort through the complexities of providing every variety of indoctrination to every religious group in order to avoid the corrosive effects of a secular education, Trumpites insist America is Christian - one nation under god, yada yada yada.  

Vouchers is the method for subsidizing any form of religious indoctrination with the same tax money which currently supports only the secular education which they find corrosive to the continuation of their culture through their children.  It isn't hard to see the appeal.  This movement will bring out in xtians the same desire to see 'god's kingdom' realized on earth that also fuels the desire among muslims for Sharia law.  Of course xtians either don't see that or don't see them as equivalent.  Trump's answer is nativism.

But a key element of Trumpism is the insistence that every problem has a simple solution.  I don't imagine that a true conservative would welcome this turn of events, but the republican party has allied themselves with the xtian right.  Together they form a coalition of those whose well-being is tied to preserving income inequality with those who see their cultural survival as requiring government sanctioned indoctrination.

What a nightmare.
RE: Trumpism has xtian support because of what DeVos represents
I read that DeVos was originally supposed to be Secretary of the EPA, but it turned out that she couldn't spell it.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
You mean she couldn't spell "EPA"?
Not just DeVos, but Trump wants to also do away with the Johnson Amendment. And most importantly--he stands against bodily autonomy for women. He'll help erode a woman's right to choose, and for most Christians that's the most important issue. You could be married sixty times, be a convicted pedophile, and Conservative Christians will still support you as long as you're anti-choice.

As a teacher, If I'm forced to lead a prayer, my prayer will be to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Zeus, or Odin--and I'll be asking that they bring secularism back.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Something from the NEA. 

http://educationvotes.nea.org/2017/01/27...r-threats/

Tax dollars eventually pay (lost tax revenue).
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(February 26, 2017 at 9:01 am)Whateverist Wrote: All this time I've been in shock that so many xtians are so strongly in support of Trump in spite of his seemingly un-xtian values.  But I just realized how essentially unfair it must feel to them to be taxed to support public education when so many feel the necessity to home school their kids for fear of losing them to secularism.  From my own point of view, my reaction has been: tough, that is the price of remaining in the bronze age.  But it isn't too hard to realize why from their point of view it would be easy to support a political strong man who would push aside the rational reasons for the status quo and simply redress what feels unfair to them. 

From a secular viewpoint (mine at least) xtian's fear of education leading to godlessness is just the burden of promoting a lifestyle which requires indoctrination.

DeVos speaks publicly in support of getting god back in the schools.  This is where Trump's nativism dovetails with this assault on public education.  Rather than sort through the complexities of providing every variety of indoctrination to every religious group in order to avoid the corrosive effects of a secular education, Trumpites insist America is Christian - one nation under god, yada yada yada.  

Vouchers is the method for subsidizing any form of religious indoctrination with the same tax money which currently supports only the secular education which they find corrosive to the continuation of their culture through their children.  It isn't hard to see the appeal.  This movement will bring out in xtians the same desire to see 'god's kingdom' realized on earth that also fuels the desire among muslims for Sharia law.  Of course xtians either don't see that or don't see them as equivalent.  Trump's answer is nativism.

But a key element of Trumpism is the insistence that every problem has a simple solution.  I don't imagine that a true conservative would welcome this turn of events, but the republican party has allied themselves with the xtian right.  Together they form a coalition of those whose well-being is tied to preserving income inequality with those who see their cultural survival as requiring government sanctioned indoctrination.

What a nightmare.

Those christards who think putting Yeshua back into the schools will make their children immune to reality should look across the water to Ireland. Here it is a legal requirement for all schools to have religious patronage, all teachers graduate from religious owned and run colleges, "moral formation" (the catholic euphamism for brainwashing) is the single most important task of a school's job accirding to the Department of Education, yet we live in a country where two thirds and more of the population are functionally arreligious.

The only way the christards are going to keep their children from seeing the light is by shutting them away.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(February 26, 2017 at 9:01 am)Whateverist Wrote: All this time I've been in shock that so many xtians are so strongly in support of Trump in spite of his seemingly un-xtian values.  But I just realized how essentially unfair it must feel to them to be taxed to support public education when so many feel the necessity to home school their kids for fear of losing them to secularism.  From my own point of view, my reaction has been: tough, that is the price of remaining in the bronze age.  But it isn't too hard to realize why from their point of view it would be easy to support a political strong man who would push aside the rational reasons for the status quo and simply redress what feels unfair to them. 

What a nightmare.

Define Christian values. Define unchristian values. I need to understand your argument before I can assess and provide my responses. What makes you think it is unfair to them to be taxed that supports public education? Your first paragraph seems vague and ambiguous. Are you talking about largely Christian populace that is experiencing unfair state of affairs? Are you talking about homeschooling and non-secular education? Are you talking about major support for Trump's regime. These are quite distinct issues and unclear in the way you try to interrelate/synthesise. Please clarify what are you trying to say upon this synthesis.

What makes you think that Christians' fear of secular education is premised upon its entailed potential godlessness? Religiosity may lead to a specific lifestyle but this isn't a problematic causation.

Your third paragraph is antithetical to nationalism in which Trump's regime is quite favoured. Every politician and prospective president has a unique personality that is worth the scrutiny. A country is hardly with a character should the president/national leader/prime minister/head of state or in whichever type you call, run it without personal bias. It's interesting to see how the country is run when the leader's statecraft and the general ethos are quite steeped in their distinctive personalities. You need to remember that while religiosity is somewhat declining these days, historically the nation's major religion has been Christianity. Remember and respect that everyone is entitled to whichever beliefs they like to follow - a secular atheist cannot simply cleanse the brainwashing influences and deconvert anyone. A fairest bet is to keep both options open and make them possible opportunities in every school system: scriptures/denominational education and secular education/sciences.

I'll come back to your remaining paragraphs but now I need to get going.
(February 27, 2017 at 6:48 am)Adventurer Wrote:

What a nightmare.

Define Christian values. Define unchristian values. I need to understand your argument before I can assess and provide my responses. What makes you think it is unfair to them to be taxed that supports public education? Your first paragraph seems vague and ambiguous. Are you talking about largely Christian populace that is experiencing unfair state of affairs? Are you talking about homeschooling and non-secular education? Are you talking about major support for Trump's regime. These are quite distinct issues and unclear in the way you try to interrelate/synthesise. Please clarify what are you trying to say upon this synthesis.

What makes you think that Christians' fear of secular education is premised upon its entailed potential godlessness? Religiosity may lead to a specific lifestyle but this isn't a problematic causation.

Your third paragraph is antithetical to nationalism in which Trump's regime is quite favoured. Every politician and prospective president has a unique personality that is worth the scrutiny. A country is hardly with a character should the president/national leader/prime minister/head of state or in whichever type you call, run it without personal bias. It's interesting to see how the country is run when the leader's statecraft and the general ethos are quite steeped in their distinctive personalities. You need to remember that while religiosity is somewhat declining these days, historically the nation's major religion has been Christianity. Remember and respect that everyone is entitled to whichever beliefs they like to follow - a secular atheist cannot simply cleanse the brainwashing influences and deconvert anyone. A fairest bet is to keep both options open and make them possible opportunities in every school system: scriptures/denominational education and secular education/sciences.

I'll come back to your remaining paragraphs but now I need to get going.

No, I don't think I will.  Good luck with your appointed tasks.
Hate to quibble with the premise of the topic, but Trump's support among the heretical elements in the religiousite's while high, should not be confused with his support amongst the True Christian block which, by definition, is 0.00%.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Does anyone have experience with these alt-schools?

Are they required to meet the same standards as public schools? For school and teacher accreditation? For diversity in education? For access to educational tools (i.e. chem lab, language lab, band, shop, ....). Will there be student assessments, counselors, career guidance? Will they have title 9 requirements/enforcement (tax vouchers means federal funding)? Will they have to comply with the US department of Education?

Or is this just basically a warehouse version of home schools?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UBI support Poll neil 58 2293 April 1, 2024 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  J.R.R Tolkien historical support of Franco of Spain, whats your view on it? Woah0 2 466 August 14, 2022 at 8:12 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Bush V Gore and Florida and Trumpism. Brian37 30 2317 August 1, 2021 at 11:29 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Concert in support of Biden campaign Foxaèr 8 509 October 25, 2020 at 5:07 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Most British voters support violence on brexit downbeatplumb 17 1440 October 30, 2019 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Incest should be legal because homosexuality is Rein83 52 5588 August 6, 2019 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: viocjit
  Who do you support? WinterHold 13 1390 June 26, 2019 at 9:58 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  True Enough - Because Jesus Is An Embarrassment To Them Minimalist 8 1141 November 22, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay
  Democrats Say Don't Support Independents Except... ReptilianPeon 0 383 October 7, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Betsy Devos - Crooked Cunt Minimalist 7 1216 August 13, 2018 at 8:11 am
Last Post: Chad32