Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is atheism escapism?
Is atheism escapism?
I often wonder if atheism is a form of escapism, an escape from moral responsibility or even critical thought.

Moderator Notice
Removed link in violation of forum rules

Why would people who were so sure God did not exist spend so much time thinking and talking about God.

If there is no God, why do we have a conscience, something none of the other animals have?

If the world is so meaningless and empty, why does man search for meaning?

Its so clear God exists and atheists just refuse to acknowledge and worship Him.

I know athesits. They are deadened souls with no morals. They keep telling me you don't need to be a Christian to be moral, but unlike the committed Christians I know, the atheists/agnostics are barely interested in questions of what is moral or not, and act as if morals do not matter
RE: Is atheism escapism?
Ah yes.

Didn't read, but.

Jerkoff
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(February 26, 2017 at 6:53 pm)ThortheMighty Wrote: I often wonder if atheism is a form of escapism, an escape from moral responsibility or even critical thought.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Are you going to participate this time?

Question. You say you're agnostic and then insist that this god being exists "clearly".

So are you agnostic or not?

Also, please provide this clear evidence for the existence of such a being?

I couldn't even find it when I was Christian.
Dying to live, living to die.
I see TrolltheMighty is pulling yet another shit-and-run.

What a pussy.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(February 26, 2017 at 6:57 pm)The Gentleman Bastard Wrote: I see TrolltheMighty is pulling yet another shit-and-run.

What a pussy.

Well, be fair. A lot of his time is taken up living under a bridge and threatening passing goats.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 26, 2017 at 6:53 pm)ThortheMighty Wrote: I often wonder if atheism is a form of escapism, an escape from moral responsibility or even critical thought.

Atheism is the answer "no" to the question of do I believe god exists.
Now are there are many reasons why someone wouldn't believe in god or the even one god over another.
Maybe they haven't really thought about it.
Maybe the overwhelming evidence that goes against what was supposedly evidence for god.
Or maybe its that the idea of gods is childish, that's the one I adhere to. I find people who believe lacking in the ability to separate truth from fairy tales.

quote]
Why would people who were so sure God did not exist spend so much time thinking and talking about God.[/quote]

I don't normally only when I come on here. I don't bang on about god being a stupid fiction in the real world because I live in a manily rational country where people keep their beliefs to themselves most of the time.

Quote:If there is no God, why do we have a conscience, something none of the other animals have?

Animals do show signs of having conscience, it depends on how far up the evolutionary tree you look and how much you've studied animal behaviour.
Quote:If the world is so meaningless and empty, why does man search for meaning?[quote]

Shits and giggles.

[quote]
Its so clear God exists and atheists just refuse to acknowledge and worship Him.

No it isn't clear at all and you disagree with most of the worlds population on what god is no matter what sort of god yopu happen to believe in most people wont agree.

Quote:I know athesits. They are deadened souls with no morals. They keep telling me you don't need to be a Christian to be moral, but unlike the committed Christians I know, the atheists/agnostics are barely interested in questions of what is moral or not, and act as if morals do not matter

The most religious countries are the ones with the worst history of treating others.

If religions were nice religious extremists would be extremely nice people and not the evil shits they all are.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

OP? Biblebelt, huh? It sucks we know....
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(February 26, 2017 at 6:53 pm)ThortheMighty Wrote: Why would people who were so sure God did not exist spend so much time thinking and talking about God.

Because religious people interfere with our lives, you insufferable dumbass.

Quote:I know athesits. They are deadened souls with no morals. They keep telling me you don't need to be a Christian to be moral, but unlike the committed Christians I know, the atheists/agnostics are barely interested in questions of what is moral or not, and act as if morals do not matter

So much for "Thou shalt not bear false witness."

May the full weight of reality fucking crush every dram of faith and hope out of your life, and leave you wailing piteously in the night for the god that abandoned you.

(February 26, 2017 at 7:03 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Well, be fair.  A lot of his time is taken up living under a bridge and threatening passing goats.

Boru

Tanngrisnir and Tanngnjóstr are not impressed.

And neither is Pabbi Óðinn.

And I -so- hate it when some Bible-fapping wanker impersonates My kin...
No, it isn't .

See how easy that is?

OP needs to formulate more challenging questions. Of course, that requires thinking, a skill he seems to lack.