Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on a personal matter
Advice on a personal matter
I'm turning thirty soon and I'm really bothered by fact I'm not as young as I once was. I'll elaborate more on why it's bothering me.
over the past I would say eleven years, I've mostly used the internet for my personal socialization. I do talk with others at work, but I never expose my true self; only a small portion is ever is ever shown. Even now, the whole self is never shown; it's out of fear, this fear has granted me comfort and has imprisoned my mentally. I shut myself out of the real world as much I can. The anxiety is really building up and I'm starting to self isolate from the world even more. All I'm starting to see is doors closing and I don't know how to manage this midlife crisis any more.
     “A man isn't tiny or giant enough to defeat anything” Yukio Mishima

RE: Advice on a personal matter
30 is a little early for mlc.
Are you happy to open up to us here on an anon forum to dissect/discuss any psychological issues?

We've probably all felt a little of what you are feeling ...so many here can relate to your position.
My first q is what do you think is the root of these negative emotions.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Lol!

Dude, you still have some time left! There is plenty of life left in your 30s. Just make the most of it because after that, it's mostly downhill from there.

I'm 57 and it sucks for me. A lot of that has to do with the choices I have made though. Watch out for substance abuse because that can seriously set you back. I've seen others in their 60s who rock! It depends on what you do.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(March 5, 2017 at 2:31 am)ignoramus Wrote: 30 is a little early for mlc.
Are you happy to open up to us here on an anon forum to dissect/discuss any psychological issues?

We've probably all felt a little of what you are feeling ...so many here can relate to your position.
My first q is what do you think is the root of these negative emotions.

I would have to say to say fear of getting close to other people, I've had too many bad experiences with getting screwed over in this regard. Mostly over money aspect.

(March 5, 2017 at 2:47 am)AFTT47 Wrote: Lol!

Dude, you still have some time left! There is plenty of life left in your 30s. Just make the most of it because after that, it's mostly downhill from there.

I'm 57 and it sucks for me. A lot of that has to do with the choices I have made though. Watch out for substance abuse because that can seriously set you back. I've seen others in their 60s who rock! It depends on what you do.

I already had the substance abuse phase of my life, so I think I'm good there.
     “A man isn't tiny or giant enough to defeat anything” Yukio Mishima

So you trusted people and they let you down? Friends? Lovers? business?
The first step is to compartmentalise ...

Do you think you are naturally trusting/gullible with everyone?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(March 5, 2017 at 2:25 am)Sterben Wrote: I'm turning thirty soon and I'm really bothered by fact I'm not as young as I once was. I'll elaborate more on why it's bothering me.
over the past I would say eleven years, I've mostly used the internet for my personal socialization. I do talk with others at work, but I never expose my true self; only a small portion is ever is ever shown. Even now, the whole self is never shown; it's out of fear, this fear has granted me comfort and has imprisoned my mentally. I shut myself out of the real world as much I can. The anxiety is really building up and I'm starting to self isolate from the world even more. All I'm starting to see is doors closing and I don't know how to manage this midlife crisis any more.

Socializing is a big spectrum.  Are you just terrified of being yourself around everyone?  What were you like before the last 11 years?

I can't really talk about how to cure social anxiety because I have it.  But I don't really see it as much of a problem, I don't go out to nightclubs, pubs or anything.  I've got some friends I met through music who I still keep in touch with and a few female friends.
I openly tell the people in work what I'm like.  I got invited to a wedding in work and I told them both you know how much an anti social twat I am so it's likely I won't go.

The biggest thing that changed how I socialized probably was through slow progress of talking online, meeting up with women online.  Having disasterous awful meetings, finding various people who I loved talking to even on the phone which I used to hate. Meeting some amazing people, meeting even better people, getting more confident and progressing.

To cut a long story short I took the long and grinding approach.  You said it's like you're in a prison, well how I got out is by digging out with a spoon.  Not a big wooden stiring spoon either, I'm talking about a tiny teaspoon.

And I'm still socially awkward as fuck, but it's taken me this long to get to a place that I think is at least acceptable.  I'm not living in a hole as a hermit collecting bottles of my own urine but I'm hardly a glamerous socialite either.

But I have to clarify I don't know what kind of social anxiety you have.  A lot of men with social anxiety I imagine cure it by getting married so they don't have to socialize with lots of women, just the one who they get to know over time.  And they watch sports so they can definitely have something to talk about and socialize with other men about, life solved.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

A mid-life crisis at 30? bahahahahaha

You seem to have a bit of social anxiety and that's quite common. Just keep putting yourself in social situations and you'll soon get comfortable with it. I myself am a huge introvert and so I have a very small friend circle, I too have problems trusting people, but it's not like I have to trust someone with my life if I just plan on having a little chat, right? I'd suggest find some friends, join a club where you can find people with similar interests, heck you can even see if anyone from here lives near you for a quick meetup, from there move on to making acquaintances with their friends and slowly grow your social circle. Like everything else, it gets easier with the effort you put in.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

What Magi said. Back in 2002 I stopped abusing heroin. To do that, I isolated myself from the social aspects, just going and coming from work, using the internet. I found myself in a similar situation to yours. I had to rebuild my social network away from my druggie friends, as it could make me relapse. I went to a psychologist that advised me Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy. It has worked wonders since then. Its not magic, its just thought discipline. You need to overcome social anxiety and the avoidance it brings. And that will can only come from you.
Join a social group to get out and about, a cycling or walking group would be good as you can interact as much or as little as you want with other members.
Camping also is a great way to meet people and get out in the air, I find it really social, but you can always zip up the tent door when you want to be alone.
I don't understand the fear of getting older but then again I'm not afraid of death and honestly I have felt like I was in my thirties since I was 17 so maybe once I reach my forties I will start being fearful.

I just see it as looks are not worth getting upset over so it keeps me from being afraid of looking older. I see the more time you spend on earth the more you learn and you aren't some ignorant teenager anymore so that's a plus of getting older. I just hope that I go before I get so old and infirm that I can't take care of myself and become a burden on others. But that's a long way away and I can try to work hard to provide a future where I won't burden others or I can make the decision to end things myself if need be.

I get that you have anxieties about other things that you are linking to getting older but honestly I don't see how they can really relate at such a young age of thirty. Mind you I'm going on 28 myself here in a few months. Life expectancy is so high these days you could live your life twice over still. You will get only depressed if you think you are old at 30.

Also just to remind everyone that life doesn't stop at a certain number I have a customer at the bank I work at that is 83. He still drives himself around, still works full time at the construction company he owns, and over the past year he and I discussed him loading a pick up truck full of construction stuff and how he was going to go drop it off at the site. I was floored especially cause he had just been a wreck (not his fault) and had broken limbs and a busted face and he had bounced right back! He is 83 and doing more physically labor than I do. He isn't wealthy but he is working and happy.

And another guy just told me yesterday that he is getting married this week... He is in his late sixties. I'm so happy for him.

Age is nothing darlin.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your personal decision Foxaèr 7 849 February 21, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Headaches and your Personal Experience. Disagreeable 26 886 February 11, 2022 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Duty
Bug Is your personal web site malicious? JohnMBauer 8 696 May 24, 2020 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Succubus#2
  Advice about patience Macoleco 4 556 March 26, 2020 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
Music The best advice someone gave you. onlinebiker 65 6254 April 14, 2019 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  The WORST Advice Someone Ever Gave You BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1094 April 14, 2019 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Last Minute Gift Advice Neo-Scholastic 28 3912 December 27, 2017 at 11:08 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  2 pieces of advice for future parents ErGingerbreadMandude 68 13102 November 17, 2017 at 8:07 am
Last Post: Cod
  Dating advice seandiggy 30 4472 October 23, 2017 at 2:17 am
Last Post: J a c k
  A little advice on a family matter please NuclearEnergy 6 1139 August 27, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist