Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill O'Reilly punks Richard Dawkins
Bill O'Reilly punks Richard Dawkins
Bill O'Reilly debates Richard Dawkins and wins. What do you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcPF57wym...ature=fvwp
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
RE: Bill O'Reilly punks Richard Dawkins
No...

P.S. The extra two dots after the period on "no" is because I have to have five characters to post an answer. >.>
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
(September 25, 2010 at 3:20 pm)A Theist Wrote: Bill O'Reilly debates Richard Dawkins and wins. What do you think?

Dawkins won that argument, for his points still stand.
Just because we don't have all the answers doesn't mean you do with god.

No one knows how everything came about, even theists. Dawkins made excellant points and O'Reilly just ignored them. Plus, O'Reilly started yelling. Not a good thing when your trying to defend your argument.
Dawkins answered and with great points. O'Reilly lost the argument the moment he started yelling.

That's all I have to say. O'Reilly is a prat.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Even when heaily edited, it was obvious that O'Reilly was pwned. His argument was like Fallacy State, USA.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
(September 25, 2010 at 4:32 pm)Ace Wrote:
(September 25, 2010 at 3:20 pm)A Theist Wrote: Bill O'Reilly debates Richard Dawkins and wins. What do you think?

Dawkins won that argument, for his points still stand.

No one knows how everything came about, even theists. Dawkins made excellant points and O'Reilly just ignored them. Plus, O'Reilly started yelling. Not a good thing when your trying to defend your argument.
Dawkins answered and with great points. O'Reilly lost the argument the moment he started yelling.

That's all I have to say. O'Reilly is a prat.

Quote:Dawkins won that argument, for his points still stand.
Dawkins had no point to stand on when O'Reilly got him to admit that science doesn't have all the answers. No way was Dawkins the clear cut winner.
What did you think of the "The Young Turks" assessment of the debate?

Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
Quote:wkins had no point to stand on when O'Reilly got him to admit that science doesn't have all the answers. No way was Dawkins the clear cut winner.

Of course science doesn't have all the answers, no one claims that it does. That doesn't mean it isn't the best method for understanding the universe. It doesn't claim to "know" anything. It goes where the evidence points. Unlike religion, it doesn't make baseless assertions. There is no evidence for god, and so god is not used as an explanation. God is a non-answer and so it is totaly useless to us.

The problem with you theists (not all of you) is that you want all the answers right here and now.
Well tough. Feel free to answer the big questions yourself if you like, don't mean you're right about it though.

Science is a method, a tool used to open up, look into, discover and learn. Not a sudden...BANG...we know everything. That is what religion does. Religion answers everything, that's what makes it so unbelieveable. Plus it can never provide evidence for it's claims.

So yes, Dawkins won that argument. His points stand.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(September 25, 2010 at 6:20 pm)A Theist Wrote: Dawkins had no point to stand on when O'Reilly got him to admit that science doesn't have all the answers. No way was Dawkins the clear cut winner.

Dawkins repeatedly pointed out that of course science does not have all the answers but O'reilly just ignored him.

So no, O'reilly did not win.

I'll say this in little words so you can understand.....

Science does NOT have all the answers, that is WHY it is science.

Science is the tool we use to find the answers, if and when we do have all the answers it won't be science anymore.

And even if science did find all the answers, idiots like O'reilly would still say it was god.

[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
You know, this is the thing most uneducated theists get mistaken more, the scientific methodology... Science does not make claims of absolute truth, if it did it would be just another religion. Science evaluates empirical data, then evaluates previous knowledge of the subject at hand, then provide an hypotheisis, then test that hypothesis. if the tested hypothesis does fit the tests, its subjected to peer review, if not, go back to the start and generate new data, and so on, until a satisfactory explanation is found.

If science had everithing figured out, it would be then cease to exist, as there was no need of it...
I copy / pasted a few quotes from your responses,...

"Just because we don't have all the answers..."
"No one knows how everything came about,..."
"Of course science doesn't have all the answers, no one claims that it does."
" It doesn't claim to "know" anything."
"Dawkins repeatedly pointed out that of course science does not have all the answers"
"Science does not make claims of absolute truth, "
"Science does NOT have all the answers, that is WHY it is science."
"If science had everything figured out, it would be then cease to exist,"... (sort of like guessing. if you had everything figured out, it would no longer be guess work).

Can any of you prove that God does not exist?

(September 25, 2010 at 8:58 pm)A Theist Wrote: Can any of you prove that God does not exist?
No, but that wasn't the point of the debate. In fact, Dawkins has repeatedly said in the past that he doesn't believe you can prove God doesn't exist.

However, just because you cannot prove something doesn't exist, doesn't mean that "something" is any more likely to exist. You need evidence to back up the existence of something, and without that evidence, there is no rational reason to believe something exists in the first place.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cool quote from Professor Richard Feynman. Jehanne 8 1306 June 25, 2022 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Beauty of Science - Richard Dawkins hilary 9 5975 August 2, 2015 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Longhorn
  Ohio's antiscience bill unimproved Dolorian 7 1721 September 9, 2014 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Bill Nye vs Isaac Newton hobie 1 908 June 25, 2014 at 8:39 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  The whole Bill Nye/Ken Ham debate Boris Karloff 26 6404 January 26, 2014 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Dawkins on the Daily Show tonight. Brian37 5 2270 September 26, 2013 at 6:33 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Republicans Introduces Bill To Require Political Approval Of Scientific Papers Gooders1002 18 6389 May 7, 2013 at 6:11 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  The Beauty of Science (Richard Feynman) Rayaan 0 1144 June 19, 2012 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Rayaan
  Poor Richard Leakey..... Minimalist 3 2617 June 15, 2012 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: Colanth
  13 yr. old Christian shames Dawkins? reverendjeremiah 31 17229 January 12, 2012 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah