Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I tell my parents?
How do I tell my parents?
Hello, friends! Big Grin
I was wondering how should I tell my parents and the other people I love that I am atheist? I grew up in a Christian-based house, so it might be difficult to break the news.

Thanks in advance.

-Stephen Bryant
RE: How do I tell my parents?
How old are you, do you depend on them financially, what part of the world are you in?
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
Do you need to tell them? My parents never knew and I'm 66 now.
(May 8, 2017 at 7:50 pm)StephenB Wrote: Hello, friends! Big Grin
I was wondering how should I tell my parents and the other people I love that I am atheist? I grew up in a Christian-based house, so it might be difficult to break the news.

Thanks in advance.

-Stephen Bryant

That totally depends on your specific circumstance. There's no one correct way to go about this.

Tell us some more about yourself in a general way and there will probably be someone who had a similar experience who can give advice.
If god was real he wouldn't need middle men to explain his wants or do his bidding.
(May 8, 2017 at 8:36 pm)This.Crunchy Wrote:
(May 8, 2017 at 7:50 pm)StephenB Wrote: Hello, friends! Big Grin

Thanks in advance.

-Stephen Bryant

That totally depends on your specific circumstance. There's no one correct way to go about this.

Tell us some more about yourself in a general way and there will probably be someone who had a similar experience who can give advice.

This.  Far too many variables to give generic advice.

If in doubt, though, go with, "Mum, Dad, I have to tell you that I'm a serial killer and I'm sexually attracted to small furry animals.  Nah, just kidding, I'm an atheist.  See, it could be worse!"
Dying to live, living to die.
Please tell us more. Nice that you want to be known as yourself by your parents. Hope your confidence in them is well founded. Make a careful assessment before you pull the trigger.
LOL, I came out as gay to my family in the 70s, never addressed atheism, I've paid my dues for that sort of thing.

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(May 8, 2017 at 10:23 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: LOL, I came out as gay to my family in the 70s, never addressed atheism, I've paid my dues for that sort of thing.

Tongue

Did you inherit you parent's farm?  If so, I'd say they got over it.
Quote:I grew up in a Christian-based house, so it might be difficult to break the news.

If you are under 18 or otherwise financially dependent on them you probably shouldn't say anything.

One advantage you have is that adults attribute everything a teenager says as "going through a phase." 

If you are old enough for a part-time job find one that makes you work on sundays so you don't have to waste your time listening to some lame-assed preacher babbling on about bullshit.  Plus, you can make a few bucks but the main thing is to have other things to do instead of their churchie bullshit.
That's a complicated question.

Farm is currently supporting 6, it's been as high as 10 not that long ago. I'm in charge, nominally, but can be (and have been) overridden on occasion. I probably feel more bound by grandpa's 'terms and conditions' than most of the rest. I'd also entertain entreaties from descendants of one non-related prior owner, should they ever appear, and there's a former hired man's 2 surviving adult children I'd feel obligated to at least provide lodging if they should fall on hard times and turn up on the doorstep.

If any portion of the place should ever need to be sold off, I'd definitely offer all surviving descendants of our grandfather an opportunity to match any offer that might be made on it.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it.