Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Lord's Resistance Army and Joseph Kony
The Lord's Resistance Army and Joseph Kony
This thread may be poorly placed because the topic is both political and religious.

I don't know how many of you have heard of Joseph Kony and the Lord's Resistance Army, so I'll give you a little background. Joseph Kony formed the Lord's Resistance Army in the 1980's. His aim is to overthrow the government in Uganda and replace it with his own government-one that would use the Ten Commandments as law. Since the inception of the LRA, Joseph Kony and his men have stolen and enslaved tens of thousands of children in Uganda and the DRC (Democratic Republic of Congo). Some of the children are kept as sex slaves, others are used as child soldiers. He is one of the most wanted terrorists in the world. Strangely, I have yet to meet a person in "real life" who has heard of him.

http://www.nndb.com/people/398/000022332/

I find it disgusting that fluff like "10 ways to save at the supermarket" makes it to the news, but Kony is only known to a select group of curious people, humanitarians and politicians. I think my answer to the Fight Club question of what "celebrity" I would fight would have to be either Joseph Kony or Omar al-Bashir. Terrorists are celebrities, right?
RE: The Lord's Resistance Army and Joseph Kony
He's made the news here but only on SBS and ABC( the government channels, which are rather left wing)

The commercial channels current affairs programs are pretty much 30 minute adverts.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Never heard of him.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(October 5, 2010 at 2:49 pm)Shell B Wrote: This thread may be poorly placed because the topic is both political and religious.

I don't know how many of you have heard of Joseph Kony and the Lord's Resistance Army, so I'll give you a little background. Joseph Kony formed the Lord's Resistance Army in the 1980's. His aim is to overthrow the government in Uganda and replace it with his own government-one that would use the Ten Commandments as law. Since the inception of the LRA, Joseph Kony and his men have stolen and enslaved tens of thousands of children in Uganda and the DRC (Democratic Republic of Congo). Some of the children are kept as sex slaves, others are used as child soldiers. He is one of the most wanted terrorists in the world. Strangely, I have yet to meet a person in "real life" who has heard of him.

http://www.nndb.com/people/398/000022332/

I find it disgusting that fluff like "10 ways to save at the supermarket" makes it to the news, but Kony is only known to a select group of curious people, humanitarians and politicians. I think my answer to the Fight Club question of what "celebrity" I would fight would have to be either Joseph Kony or Omar al-Bashir. Terrorists are celebrities, right?

Never heard of him either. DRC & Uganda must not have any oil. Also, they follow the same invso-sky daddy that our fearless leaders do.

"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
Uganda is far down the list of important places, Shell.

They don't have oil, muslim terrorists, or buy our bonds. In fact, now that you mention it, I personally haven't thought of Uganda since I saw The Last King of Scotland.
(October 6, 2010 at 11:18 am)Minimalist Wrote: Uganda is far down the list of important places, Shell.

They don't have oil, muslim terrorists, or buy our bonds. In fact, now that you mention it, I personally haven't thought of Uganda since I saw The Last King of Scotland.

Great movie.

Any place where a terrorist may come into power is an important place. Even if you only care about resources, it's important that this kind of person is stopped from taking power.

My argument is on the humanitarian side. I don't give a shit about oil. I have a bicycle in case there is a shortage. SmileI think children are very important. If this motherfucker would stop killing them, raping them and giving them guns, they could have a chance to change their countries future and become more educated.

A news item about a nominally christian group doing evil somewhere is going to get less coverage in many American new outlets than one about a nominally Islamic group doing exactly the same thing.

I have heard of this motherfucker.
But then my bosses daughter lives in Uganda so I have a tenuous interest in the place.

By the way she used to run one of these on the nile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwC8MP6uOiQ

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(October 6, 2010 at 12:30 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: By the way she used to run one of these on the nile.

That thing is insane.
(October 6, 2010 at 12:23 pm)Chuck Wrote: A news item about a nominally christian group doing evil somewhere is going to get less coverage in many American new outlets than one about a nominally Islamic group doing exactly the same thing.

You're probably right about that.
Quote:If this motherfucker would stop killing them, raping them and giving them guns, they could have a chance to change their countries future and become more educated.

Yeah - stranger things have happened.

In reality, they'd probably just grow up to be part of the problem. Africa is a mess.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Renaming US Army bases. Gawdzilla Sama 28 1202 June 15, 2020 at 7:44 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Nonviolent Protest and Resistance Privileged Mister Agenda 136 14289 February 21, 2017 at 11:14 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Army Pissed That Soldiers Aren't Happy Minimalist 11 2013 April 18, 2015 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
Bug EU army vs. Russia??? Mr Greene 12 2717 March 9, 2015 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Egypt - Army seizes power. Something completely different 34 7671 July 8, 2013 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: cratehorus
  W, Lord High Inquisitor popeyespappy 0 801 April 16, 2013 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  More Kony Shit theVOID 63 20726 April 3, 2012 at 10:34 am
Last Post: SavageNerdz
  Forget Kony, Start MASTURBATING! theVOID 42 17739 March 20, 2012 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: THWOTH
  KONY 2012 Tiberius 72 21568 March 11, 2012 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: Tempus
  [split] from Kony 2012 thread reverendjeremiah 79 28100 March 8, 2012 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: Nine