Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virginia Ironside on abortion and euthanasia
Virginia Ironside on abortion and euthanasia
I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but I thought, as this is something that's been fairly big in the British news recently, it's something worth discussing. Basically, the agony aunt Virginia Ironside said that abortion can sometimes be a moral act and that a good mother would kill a suffering child.

Here's a link to a (blatantly biased) Christian article:

http://www.christian.org.uk/news/agony-a...-children/

Personally, I think she's absolutely right. There's no such thing as the sanctity of human life. We should surely judge the value of a life by the amount of pleasure/pain in it.

Thoughts?
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
RE: Virginia Ironside on abortion and euthanasia
(October 6, 2010 at 12:35 pm)The Omnissiunt One Wrote: I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but I thought, as this is something that's been fairly big in the British news recently, it's something worth discussing. Basically, the agony aunt Virginia Ironside said that abortion can sometimes be a moral act and that a good mother would kill a suffering child.

Here's a link to a (blatantly biased) Christian article:

http://www.christian.org.uk/news/agony-a...-children/

Personally, I think she's absolutely right. There's no such thing as the sanctity of human life. We should surely judge the value of a life by the amount of pleasure/pain in it.

Thoughts?

We give more dignity to our pets than we do to our old.
Many suffer torments because we cant 'put them out of their misery' like we do to dogs.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(October 6, 2010 at 12:35 pm)The Omnissiunt One Wrote: Personally, I think she's absolutely right. There's no such thing as the sanctity of human life. We should surely judge the value of a life by the amount of pleasure/pain in it.

Absolutely.
I have no knowledge when it comes to abortion laws, acts etc...

In other words: Nothing to add

But can someone inform me please?
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Who gets to decide what qualifies as 'quality life'? What of severely mentally retarded people? Brain damaged folks? The bed-ridden? The mentally ill?

Me thinks their would be way too many disagreements on what would qualify someone to be 'put down'.

Family makes the call? What if I have no family? What if family got together and said, "Hey look, Rich-ass old uncle Joe is limping! Put him down quick!"

Valid concerns for human euthanasia. MY criteria seems to make the most sense to me. I'm sure it won't to you nor yours to me.

Who draws the lines?

I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
ATTENTION: This thread is now about Christianity. Praised be Jesus.
Praised be Troll!
I feel victimized. Sad
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(October 6, 2010 at 7:17 pm)Dotard Wrote: Who gets to decide what qualifies as 'quality life'? What of severely mentally retarded people? Brain damaged folks? The bed-ridden? The mentally ill?

Me thinks their would be way too many disagreements on what would qualify someone to be 'put down'.

Family makes the call? What if I have no family? What if family got together and said, "Hey look, Rich-ass old uncle Joe is limping! Put him down quick!"

Valid concerns for human euthanasia. MY criteria seems to make the most sense to me. I'm sure it won't to you nor yours to me.

Who draws the lines?

Involuntary euthanasia does present a lot of difficulties, as opposed to euthanasia with consent. Although, I think there are certain cases where the quality of life is clearly so minimal as not to be worth living (bed-ridden, brain-dead, etc.), and most of us would recognise this. At the very least, if we didn't legalise euthanasia, courts could be lenient in cases where it was clearly done as an act of kindness.

'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
(October 7, 2010 at 3:19 am)The Omnissiunt One Wrote:
(October 6, 2010 at 7:17 pm)Dotard Wrote: Who gets to decide what qualifies as 'quality life'? What of severely mentally retarded people? Brain damaged folks? The bed-ridden? The mentally ill?

Who draws the lines?

Involuntary euthanasia does present a lot of difficulties, as opposed to euthanasia with consent. Although, I think there are certain cases where the quality of life is clearly so minimal as not to be worth living (bed-ridden, brain-dead, etc.), and most of us would recognise this. At the very least, if we didn't legalise euthanasia, courts could be lenient in cases where it was clearly done as an act of kindness.

Involuntary euthanasia is not euthanasia, it's murder...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abortion-Killing: The Silent Genocide: 2 Billion Deaths Victims Worldwide. Nishant Xavier 343 15684 September 2, 2023 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: MarcusA
  Abortion poll Agnostico 75 7496 June 20, 2022 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it Nihilist Virus 330 30180 March 5, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Thoughts on euthanasia Regina 62 9224 June 14, 2015 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Abortion and ethics Dystopia 10 2264 June 28, 2014 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pro abortion or not JohnCrichton72 338 83326 March 21, 2014 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Phatt Matt s
  Atheists, the death penalty and abortion... ideologue08 511 187581 May 30, 2013 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Colanth
  My Virginia Pilot Interview reverendjeremiah 8 2832 June 10, 2011 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah
  Poll: Abortion for minors. Violet 87 28714 September 8, 2009 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Samson