Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 9:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I plan to live forever
I plan to live forever
Quote:I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even five hundred would be pretty nice.

— CEO Nwabudike Morgan

If eternal life (at your prime or chosen 'age') is possible, would it even be desirable?

Is life only meaningful because of death?

Or are some things so worth doing that they are worth doing for a thousand years?

The thought of existing so long all the stars wink out and looking forward to nothing but an empty void is not appealing to me, but if medical advances permit, I would not mind living 500 years.

"People need heroes. They don't need to know how he died clawing his eyes out, screaming for mercy. The real story would just hurt sales, and dampen the spirits of our customers." - Mythology for Profit
RE: I plan to live forever
I go nuts trying to figure out how to use my cell phone now. What will they be like in 500 years?

No thanks.
Haha Big Grin

I'd love to live longer - I just can't stand the thought of missing stuff... technological progress for example.
I think it would be cool to live 500+ years. Smile

But while this is brought up, it makes me want to bring up how in the Bible, supposedly some of the people in there lived for over 300+ years.

***Enoch lived 365 years walking with God and then disappeared. Could possibly still be living. Maybe taken away by God like Elijah but not noted. This is spoken of in Genesis 5:23 & 24
1. Methuselah - 969 Genesis 5:27
2. Jared - 962 Genesis 5:20
3. Noah - 950 Genesis 9:29
4. Adam - 930 Genesis 5:5
5. Seth - 912 Genesis 5:8
6. Kenan - 910 Genesis 5:14
7. Enosh - 905 Genesis 5:11
8. Mahalalel - 895 Genesis 5:17
9. Lamech - 777 Genesis 5:31
~ http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Ten_oldest_peo..._the_Bible
"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend." -Richard Jeni
I'd like to know too. Either years weren't 364/5 days long or a life meant one than one person.
I want to live as long as I want to. If everything suddenly gets boring I'd end it, but until then, I wouldn't mind immortality.
(October 10, 2010 at 7:26 am)fr0d0 Wrote: I'd like to know too. Either years weren't 364/5 days long or a life meant one than one person.

From what I know, the days where still the same and it appears to be just one person.
"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend." -Richard Jeni
Wikipedia has some info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methuselah

Mistranslation

Some believe that Methuselah's extreme age is the result of an ancient mistranslation that converted "months" to "years", producing a more credible 969 lunar months, or 78½ years, but the same calculation applied to Enoch would have him fathering Methuselah at the age of 5 using numbers from the Masoretic Text. Using the Septuagint numbers, Enoch's 165 months in a ten month calendar would be 16½ years, and Methuselah's 969 would be 96.9.

Symbolic

Symbolic interpretations begin with the observation that the Biblical chronology routinely uses numbers for their symbolic value: for example, 10 symbolizes completion, 8 symbolizes the mundane world, and 7 the divine. So Methuselah's father Enoch, who does not die but is taken by God, is the seventh patriarch, and Methuselah, the eighth, dies in the year of the Flood, which ends the ten-generational sequence from Adam to Noah, in whose time the world is destroyed.

I'd go with these rather than the literal interpretation.
Well in that case, that makes more sense. o3o
Subtle point but you can't live forever because 'forever', like 'eternity' and 'infinity' is a destination that can never be reached.

However, I'd quite like to never cease to exist Great
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Christianity is Dead, Long live the rEvolution! Bow Before Zeus 77 14555 December 26, 2017 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Janay Rice and God's Plan vorlon13 37 4922 December 2, 2014 at 5:41 am
Last Post: Bad Wolf
  Christians live in the past, atheists live in the present Airyaman 35 8737 September 29, 2013 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  LIVE and in HD: Nothing Erinome 24 7242 October 6, 2012 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: Cinjin
  Sometimes, I think I must just live right.... Minimalist 12 3858 August 25, 2012 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  The question that shatters faith, forever. FallentoReason 110 72897 April 15, 2012 at 12:55 am
Last Post: LiberalHearted
  Catholic cardinal criticises gay marriage plan Cyberman 9 3447 March 5, 2012 at 2:33 am
Last Post: reverendjeremiah
  Jesus plan AND Obama's fault reverendjeremiah 20 5996 March 6, 2011 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  God's "perfect" Plan superstarr 68 22689 July 3, 2010 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: fr0d0