Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Aliens Exist, Where Are They?
If Aliens Exist, Where Are They?
The Fermi Paradox poses a question I've heard many times, and it's one that has many answers which seem somewhat satisfactory, but (in my opinion) those answers don't completely answer the question.

First of all, let's talk about the question itself in order to more fully understand it, and therefore, be better equipped to answer it.
Scientists over the course of the past century or so have sought to rate the probability of finding extraterrestrial life. While to some it may seem like a menial task, there are very real implications the existence of extraterrestrial life can have. Some of these implications are positive, some of them are negative. For instance, they could communicate us details of advanced technology which we could then use to better our world (positive), or they could be looking for worlds with resources for them to consume without due regard to the inhabitants (negative).

So, with the desire to rate the probability of finding alien life, scientists went forth and did some rudimentary math based on observations of already known solar and extra-solar planets.
From Wikipedia:

• There are billions of stars in the galaxy that are similar to the Sun,[2][3] many of which are billions of years older than Earth.[4][5]

• With high probability, some of these stars will have Earth-like planets,[6][7] and if the Earth is typical, some might develop intelligent life.

• Some of these civilizations might develop interstellar travel, a step the Earth is investigating now.

• Even at the slow pace of currently envisioned interstellar travel, the Milky Way galaxy could be completely traversed in a few million years.[8]

With this, Enrico Fermi asked: "Where is everybody?"

Multiple solutions have been found for this alleged contradiction, and I'm confident many of them are factors that combine together in explaining this, but I want to talk about my theory on this, and maybe get some feedback from you guys.

My theory is similar to that which posits Alien civilizations isolate themselves, and are not contacting us intentionally.

It goes as follows:
1. All civilizations, societies of sentient beings, or large individual sentient beings (like a planet-wide network of neurons or computers) tend to develop.
This fact is a similar statement to the principle that living things evolve via natural selection, except that sentient beings, being natural apex predators and highly intelligent, are freed from much of the pressure that natural selection imposes on most living creatures. This is coupled with the fact that sentient beings develop/advance via the acquisition of knowledge, whereas normal organisms tend to advance via evolution, and it makes the analogy a bit poorer. Nonetheless, both evolution and civilization development ultimately result in increases to the organisms fitness and (probably) complexity.
2. As civilizations or organisms increase in complexity, their desire to communicate or "bother with" beings of less complexity/importance decreases.
This should go without saying: Humans are not concerned whatsoever with the opinion of an ant, and nor does anyone of sane mind try communicating with them.
3. Simultaneously, as civilizations/sentient beings advance, they become increasingly concerned with the waste of energy they collectively generate.
The United States, for example, in the late 2000s led a campaign of regulations, subsidies, and other actions to increase the efficiency of consumer and business appliances. As a result, the energy usage of machines continues decreasing to this day, which makes way for more technology and new power-hungry inventions to consume the void in energy usage. So, from this we can be certain to a high degree that societies will seek to limit their energy usage in order to allow 'more... More... MORE!', and in addition, any sufficiently advanced civilization will recognize that if the Universe continues on it's current path and is not stopped somehow, energy will inevitably become more and more valuable over time.
4. Therefore, given all of the above, the civilization in its final stages of development will not bother expending energy on communicating or attempting to communicate with other beings which may likely not have anything to offer for them, but rather, will focus all efforts on preserving itself and achieving maximal efficiency. This civilization would not be detectable, at least not with any realistic level of ease; all electromagnetic waves would be absorbed on their planet's surface to be transformed into energy for their use. Their planet would be a perfect black body.
Looking at their planet, all you'd see is what appears like empty space.
Note that these civilizations would be well aware of the probable existence of extraterrestrial life, but ultimately find attempts to contact such life useless or wasteful.
One additional (not required, but interesting) thought is the idea that a network of computers or neurons could exist under the surface throughout the entire planet, completely replacing a society of individual beings with a network of VERY powerful computation. In this sense, the planet itself becomes a single organism.

Please remember that this is all very speculative. I made some assumptions that (while they may be accepted by scientists) I partially disagree with. I tried to make this theory without due regard to my own opinion. For instance, I made the statement that energy will become more valuable over time, and while it's generally agreed upon in the scientific community, I believe we as humans could have the power to change that, but this belief is for another post.

Anyways, tell me what you think!

Here's my name for citations/references:
~Ezra N. Kirkpatrick~
RE: If Aliens Exist, Where Are They?
Isn't the elephant in the room just the fact that advanced intelligent life is logically a lot rarer than just life on other planets together with the burden of distance coupled with the sheer odds of finding us to start with?
I am (in my mind only of course) 100% we haven't been visited ...Ever. Not even by a God! Crazy huh?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Science knows that all the atoms that exist on our planet and in our solar system all stem from the same big bang 13.8 billion years ago as a things with mass. Thus with the estimated 200 billion galaxies with billions of suns each, while earth like planets would still be a minority, the math makes it highly likely that life exists elsewhere. It is very likely within the next generation we will prove that microbial life can live on other bodies within our solar system.

Now as far as higher developed human like intelligence, it is far more likely at some point we might communicate, but as far as having been visited, that is bullshit, and as far as covering the long distances, that potential life would still be stuck with the same macro world and fuel required to move those distances, we might find some others with advancement but I am no fan of Star Trek si fi crap. Finding that life will be done in labs and with technology, not on fictional TV shows.
2 things I find important in regards to this paradox:

1) We think of intelligence and sentience, possibly, in way too close a narrative. The star-trekian idea of human-like civilisations and beings seems a bit simplistic. And thus, the idea I've heard that we should hear their radio-waves, is a bit lost on me. Who says that medium must even be used? Who says that's even effective, we could be the only ones using tech like that and following that particular route. Anything that seems obvious to us and necessary for complexity and for being concidered 'advanced' needs to be questioned.
2) Seeing as how it's likely that in such a vast place as the universe, there ought to be or will be or have been other life-forms, it's important not to forget that vastness. And who knows. Perhaps no matter how intelligent we are, faster than light travel or instant transmission or whatever else could be used to bridge those gaps of thousands and thousands of lightyears to the nearest other 'intelligence', could be forever impossible. For any species. Just because the laws of our universe don't allow it.
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
It's possible there is intelligent life all over our galaxy. It's also possible that we're the only intelligent life in our galaxy.

If there is intelligent life in our galaxy why would it come here? Please disconnect racial ego before replying.
I think we ought to also remember that the definition of life is itself based on the biology of Earth's organisms. Who's to say what's life and what isn't?
Although, once again, I'm making a statement I disagree with. I would hold that "life" is any chemical reaction that self-sustains and does not "wind down". Simultaneously, objects which reproduce and are subject to natural selection should also be considered.
The alien god has decreed that there is no other sentient life in the universe and their religion has made it heresy to believe otherwise. Therefore, they don't look.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 14, 2017 at 6:24 am)ignoramus Wrote: Isn't the elephant in the room just the fact that advanced intelligent life is logically a lot rarer than just life on other planets together with the burden of distance coupled with the sheer odds of finding us to start with?
I am (in my mind only of course) 100% we haven't been visited ...Ever. Not even by a God! Crazy huh?

"Space is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that’s just peanuts to space."
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
So you're saying if I want to go to the other end of space, I need to take a cut lunch and a bottle of coke?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
And a towel.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does a natural "god" maybe exist? Skeptic201 19 1672 November 27, 2022 at 7:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3611 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Do Chairs Exist? vulcanlogician 93 7039 September 29, 2021 at 11:41 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 4559 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Is the self all that can be known to exist? Excited Penguin 132 15150 December 15, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Existence must exist at all times. Edwardo Piet 41 8697 November 28, 2016 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist Rational AKD 348 79893 October 22, 2015 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Does a "True Self" Exist? Salacious B. Crumb 68 14342 July 17, 2015 at 6:11 am
Last Post: chasbanner
  Logic tells me God doesn't exist but my heart says otherwise. Mystic 81 17528 October 17, 2014 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Do Numbers Exist? MindForgedManacle 18 4255 January 6, 2014 at 9:00 am
Last Post: houseofcantor