Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emotions are intrinsically good and bad
Emotions are intrinsically good and bad
I will now present something that supports my whole worldview which supports and objective (intrinsic) good and bad.  Positive thoughts have to line up with positive emotions and negative thoughts have to line up with negative emotions since positive thoughts make us feel positive emotions and negative thoughts make us feel negative emotions. From there, value judgments of good value make us feel positive emotions such as thinking it is a good day today while value judgments of bad value make us feel negative emotions such as thinking something is horrible. So, you have a positive thought which is just a positive thought and then you have a positive emotion which is intrinsically positive like a positive charge.

You then have a negative thought which is just a negative thought and then you have a negative emotion which is intrinsically negative like a negative charge. To take it one step further, you have a positive (good) value judgment and then you have a positive (good) emotion which is intrinsically good. From there, you have a negative (bad) value judgment and then you have a negative (bad) emotion which is intrinsically bad. If a good or bad value judgment did not make you feel a positive or negative emotion, then there could be a number of factors as to why. Other than that, they do make you feel positive and negative emotions. Even if these positive and negative emotions were induced by other means such as drugs rather than thoughts, then they would still be intrinsically good and bad emotions.

Lastly, positive emotions would be feelings such as joy, love, and excitement which are states of mind induced by the brain's biochemicals (serotonin, dopamine, oxytocin, and endorphins).  They would be states of euphoria.  Negative emotions would be feelings of dysphoria such as a feeling of sadness, despair, anger, or misery.  Having no emotions at all would be like having no charge at all.  It would be a completely neutral lifestyle where you are neither motivated in a good way by a positive emotion nor motivated in a bad way by a negative emotion.
RE: Emotions are intrinsically good and bad
Sometimes negative emotions can provide motivation. Or anger for instance can help stop others from running roughshod over you.
And sometimes positive thoughts can be delusional or complacent.

Anger can be a positive emotion. 

Love can be negative. Eva Braun's love for Adolph, for instance.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

I'm quite the pessimistic realist. I don't believe in positive thoughts resulting in a positive reality.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I used to wave a pair of heavy machine guns at strangers. Can you guess my emotions at the time?
You are describing something that works for you and explains your world but not necessarily others.

Example: A pedophile thinks about molesting a child. In his/her mind there is nothing wrong with it, therefore a positive/good thought. This leads to a good emotion (according to you). They feel love, joy and excitement. Because of these feelings they now act on this emotion to feel even better and now there is a violated child with anything but love, joy and excitement. 

According to you, do you consider this scenario objectively/intrinsically good? 

I think if you continue this discussion with myself and others you'll find that good/bad, right/wrong are subjective.

Edit: I'm not sure where you're going with the last paragraph regarding neurotransmitters. Care to expand on that also?

Edit 2: Drugs and the subsequent emotions are mostly based on set and setting.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Shit happens
(September 25, 2017 at 5:04 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: You are describing something that works for you and explains your world but not necessarily others.

Example: A pedophile thinks about molesting a child. In his/her mind there is nothing wrong with it, therefore a positive/good thought. This leads to a good emotion (according to you). They feel love, joy and excitement. Because of these feelings they now act on this emotion to feel even better and now there is a violated child with anything but love, joy and excitement. 

According to you, do you consider this scenario objectively/intrinsically good? 

I think if you continue this discussion with myself and others you'll find that good/bad, right/wrong are subjective.

Edit: I'm not sure where you're going with the last paragraph regarding neurotransmitters. Care to expand on that also?

The reason why my idea sounds false is only because you are using positive and good/bad the wrong way.  The thought the pedophile would be having would be the thought of something good.  He thought it was a good thing to molest the child, but it wouldn't be a good thought.  Furthermore, the scenario itself wouldn't be objectively good.  Rather, the pedophile would be able to perceive good value in his harmful actions by feeling a positive emotion.  There is the difference between perceiving value as opposed to simply acknowledging it.  A blind person can only acknowledge objects, but would not be able to perceive (see) them. As for my final paragraph, I was just making it clear what positive and negative emotions were.
(September 25, 2017 at 5:22 pm)Transcended Dimensions Wrote: The reason why my idea sounds false is only because you are using positive and good/bad the wrong way.  The thought the pedophile would be having would be the thought of something good.  He thought it was a good thing to molest the child, but it wouldn't be a good thought.  Furthermore, the scenario itself wouldn't be objectively good.  Rather, the pedophile would be able to perceive good value in his harmful actions by feeling a positive emotion.  There is the difference between perceiving value as opposed to simply acknowledging it.  A blind person can only acknowledge objects, but would not be able to perceive (see) them.  As for my final paragraph, I was just making it clear what positive and negative emotions were.

bold mine

Can you explain to me what the right way is? 

To the pedophile it's a good thought. If it were a bad thought to them, they wouldn't be a pedophile. If we lived in a society of mostly pedophiles the scenario would be considered good. 

Blind people perceive objects all of the time, just not with vision. I don't understand what you mean by "acknowledge". 

Again, "perception" of value, good or bad is subjective.

I'll agree that both positive and negative emotions involve neurotransmitters. Is there something else?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can too much respect be bad? Fake Messiah 48 4524 January 14, 2020 at 11:28 am
Last Post: roofinggiant
  Technology, Good or Bad Overall? ColdComfort 41 5688 July 7, 2019 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  There are no higher emotions/values Transcended Dimensions 58 11930 April 30, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
Wink Emoticons are Intrinsically Good and Evil Fireball 4 1090 October 21, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Succubus
  Name one objectively bad person ErGingerbreadMandude 57 14936 October 16, 2017 at 3:47 am
Last Post: Ignorant
  Is there a logical, rational reason why hate is bad? WisdomOfTheTrees 27 3684 February 4, 2017 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Is developing a strong habit of philosophizing bad for your social skills? Edwardo Piet 31 4146 May 25, 2016 at 8:22 am
Last Post: Gemini
Smile a bad person Sappho 30 5024 December 8, 2015 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  The bad guy Marsellus Wallace 18 5230 July 28, 2015 at 8:15 am
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
Bug Do Fruit Flies Have Emotions? Hatshepsut 28 3282 May 16, 2015 at 7:56 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger