Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 6:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young-Earth-Creationism - can you prove it's not true?
Information 
Young-Earth-Creationism - can you prove it's not true?
Evening,

I'm going to a school founded by the Seventh Day Adventists. I personally do not believe in god, since I don't think I want to believe into something that I can't prove (neither empirically, nor logically). Many people at this school and some of my friends that are Adventists do so. One theory the Adventists have is the Young-Earth-Creationism. By counting all those numbers of ages that people in the bible have (you know this stuff: Methusalem became 900 years, Isaac became 800 years, etc.) they believe that the creation has to be taken word for word and therefore say the earth has to have an age about 6000 to 10000 years.
This theory is sort of interesting, because on the one hand it seems to be completely retarded, on the other hand I don't seem to be able to prove the opposite. The c14-Method, with which you can date the age of minerals and other radioactive methods that date the age of our earth to several billion years, are inaccurate or wrong, they say. Though, since most scientists these days don't take this theory for serious anymore, because it was thrown away in the 20th century, I can't believe this could actually be true.

Now I would really be interested if you guys could sort of prove me or at least give good evidence that the earth is for sure older than 6000 years Smile

mfg
RE: Young-Earth-Creationism - can you prove it's not true?
Proof that the Earth is ancient ay?

Well, how about the geological evidence, or the fossil record, or evolution, or radioactive decay or looking further out to the evidence for the age of the Sun or the solar system.

However, none of these things will do you the slightest bit of good because trying to get a creationist to see sense is like trying to teach physics to a Labrador, only slightly harder :S
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Quote:Well, how about the geological evidence, or the fossil record, or evolution, or radioactive decay or looking further out to the evidence for the age of the Sun or the solar system.
If I reply with this, I am told to prove them all of this is true. That they basically ignore facts, makes it kinda hard though - you're right there.

offtopic:
i love your avatar and your signature <3
That's the problem. Some people simply won't listen to the facts because it goes against their biggest love, the Bible. In the same way that a devoted, deluded and love sick man will not believe that his girlfriend is cheating on him no matter how much evidence you give him, he'll always have an answer and an excuse ready to explain her behaviour.

Welcome along by the way Great
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Quote:I'm going to a school founded by the Seventh Day Adventists.

Change schools.
All attempts to discover the age of the earth (and the sun and the cosmos, etc.) have indicated that the YEC's are simply wrong. None of the evidence discovered through any means whatsoever (outside of the bible) has ever supported their claims that the earth is 6,000 to 10,000 years old. This doesn't prove that they are wrong, but it sure shows their claims to be so unlikely as to be ridiculous.
(November 1, 2010 at 4:06 pm)cookies4life Wrote:
Quote:Well, how about the geological evidence, or the fossil record, or evolution, or radioactive decay or looking further out to the evidence for the age of the Sun or the solar system.
If I reply with this, I am told to prove them all of this is true. That they basically ignore facts, makes it kinda hard though - you're right there.

offtopic:

Why would you listen to people who basically ignore facts? Ignore them in the same way they ignore facts.

(November 1, 2010 at 3:51 pm)cookies4life Wrote: Now I would really be interested if you guys could sort of prove me or at least give good evidence that the earth is for sure older than 6000 years Smile

mfg

What sort of evidence do you need? Some 7000 year old geezer giving "testimonial" to the lack of any genisis during his life time like how evangelicals give testimonials about prayers curing their aunts' ingrown toenails? Real evidence that cuts ice with science are to be found in every serious book on geology since about 1790. Bible thumping baffoons who ignore facts are not qualified to say which is right and which not.

Look at people who believe the Earth is just a few thousand years old. If that's not proof that the concept is wrong, I don't know what is.
[Image: christian-hillbilly-christian-hillbilly-...005642.jpg]

[Image: irony-religion-christianity-irony-evolut...517129.jpg]
(November 1, 2010 at 4:06 pm)cookies4life Wrote:

offtopic:

Well you can tell them that scientists have found genetic links between humans from native Americans and europeans that are dated to 10000 years old(if i remember correctly), probably will be ignored like the rest

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth's Gravity Hole Bucky Ball 2 558 July 29, 2023 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The shape of Earth h311inac311 162 25101 December 4, 2022 at 1:06 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Young Earth Creationism LinuxGal 3 808 November 26, 2022 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Earth’s energy budget is out of balance Jehanne 5 581 August 20, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  NASA: Asteroid Could Still Hit Earth in 2068 WinterHold 52 4345 November 7, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Doesn't Quantam Mechanics Prove God? quantumleap 24 1874 June 27, 2019 at 11:06 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Irresponsible caretakers of Earth ignoramus 50 7312 April 9, 2018 at 8:12 am
Last Post: JackRussell
  What are the rationalizations of flat earth believers? ErGingerbreadMandude 48 6820 January 20, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Familiarity with the Earth Sciences TheBeardedDude 4 1055 August 25, 2017 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth Minimalist 364 55151 August 21, 2017 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Amarok