Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What the hell is going on with American girls?
What the hell is going on with American girls?
Apparently female self inflicted injury, age 10 to 24, was relatively stable prior to 2008 and is now dramatically on the rise. The rates did not significantly change for males. 

Can it be the bust around that time? Seems like that would effect male and females alike. And that has been corrected. 

What else changed? I'm at a loss. But then I'm far removed from that group. 

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/ar...ct/2664031
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: What the hell is going on with American girls?
(November 22, 2017 at 6:21 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Apparently female self inflicted injury, age 10 to 24, was relatively stable prior to 2008 and is now dramatically on the rise. The rates did not significantly change for males. 

Can it be the bust around that time? Seems like that would effect male and females alike. And that has been corrected. 

I can tell you exactly what it is. The rise of social media. Girls specifically are put in a lot more pressure to present a perfect image of themselves and compare themselves to other girls. And with young people constantly on their social media accounts, there's just no break from the self judgement, pressure, and comparisons. It's constant and its not just Facebook. It's twitter, instragram, snap chat, periscope, etc.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
OK. Talk to me other countries, social media is not limited to the US. What say you?
(November 22, 2017 at 7:32 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: OK. Talk to me other countries, social media is not limited to the US. What say you?

I say that neither a penis or vagina are cures to death.

I'd say we still have a huge gap in men worldwide thinking brawn is better, and female sexuality is something to be condemned.
(November 22, 2017 at 6:44 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(November 22, 2017 at 6:21 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Apparently female self inflicted injury, age 10 to 24, was relatively stable prior to 2008 and is now dramatically on the rise. The rates did not significantly change for males. 

I can tell you exactly what it is. The rise of social media. Girls specifically are put in a lot more pressure to present a perfect image of themselves and compare themselves to other girls. And with young people constantly on their social media accounts, there's just no break from the self judgement, pressure, and comparisons. It's constant and its not just Facebook. It's twitter, instragram, snap chat, periscope, etc.

So how do we address this.  Is there any way to address the way girls are acculturated?  They grow up being told they're pretty which plants the seed.  As a man, I don't worry what I look like.  What I do is more important and that is what I was acknowledged for growing up.
Quote:Is there any way to address the way girls are acculturated?

Change the culture.  The trouble is that it seems to be heading in the opposite direction.
(November 22, 2017 at 7:32 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: OK. Talk to me other countries, social media is not limited to the US. What say you?

Social media isn't limited to the US, but the study you linked to was. If it turns out that the spike is limited to America, honestly, I think it might be because related to the increasingly insane political scene in America and knowing that, when they grow up (and they are), they'll become major pawns in the culture wars simply for being born with a vagina and ovaries. And I suspect that things might be getting worse if they extended it to the present day.

This is from someone who could only read the first page because the rest is hidden under a paywall, by the way.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I don't think this has anything to do with politics
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(November 22, 2017 at 10:24 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I don't think this has anything to do with politics

I mean, social media does seem like a big factor, but assuming it's limited to the US like Brewer says, I think it would make sense to wonder how big a factor our increasingly deranged political scene might have happened, especially if it started to spike in 2008, the year Obama was elected president and Republicans really started losing their shit, completely dropped the mask that hid the bigotry inherent in their policies, and got more and more powerful.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
The study is limited to the US, but I don't know that the rise in self harm is limited only to the US. That's why I asked for some non US in put.

Page 1 is the abstract for the letter/study. 

I have to question the political angle also. Why would 10 to 18 year old girls care about politics? None that I knew did. The 19 to 24's barely did. 

Could this all be about body image thanks to Hollywood, media and advertising? Is it only the ones who believe they don't physically conform that self harm? If it is, that is very sad.

Guess we won't know until somebody tracks the reasons.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Going to buy a gun onlinebiker 46 2465 October 17, 2021 at 10:32 am
Last Post: Spooky
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1119 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going? Mechaghostman2 6 624 January 4, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Not going to swear to it as of yet. but. Brian37 33 2337 June 19, 2020 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Heart American Gods & The Young Pope AnubisBarba 4 423 March 25, 2020 at 4:48 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  It's going to be a WARM winter onlinebiker 8 930 October 9, 2019 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] The American beer thread Jackalope 10 883 September 30, 2019 at 9:39 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  I am going naked on here to challenge my wife to do the same. funcouple 19 1647 August 31, 2019 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Are you going to let him do that? onlinebiker 4 1060 August 22, 2019 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  What's the going rate for the tooth fairy? Cod 16 1530 April 17, 2019 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Figbash