Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 5:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aliens - Are they out there? Have they visited us? And related questions
Aliens - Are they out there? Have they visited us? And related questions
Just wondering what peoples opinions are on these closely related subjects. Here are some questions for you to consider and think about:
  1. Is there intelligent life outside Earth?
  2. Have we been visited by beings from other planets?
  3. Would aliens look like us or carry basic similarities?
  4. Is the money wasted on looking for life outside of Earth?
  5. Could or would aliens have a similar society to our own?
  6. Could or would aliens believe in a 'God' figure or have a religious society?
I believe there is life out there, somewhere. It would be very improbable that in the vastness of space we are all alone, there's something called the Drake Equation . It considers all the factors which should develop intelligent life able to communicate with us within our galaxy. The answer is 10, although just a prediction it's an interesting thought. I do not believe we have been visited by aliens, it is highly unlikely as it would take millions of years to get to the Earth and I believe that their society would be similar to ours, in a way that they are trying to find other life outside their own planet and would most likely make contact. Now the next question starts many an argument between my brother and I, I believe that aliens would look nothing like us as we have evolved to live on this planet. We have evolved in a way which would only suit our environment. This also raises an interesting question as in the Earth we are the only species to develop intelligent life, who's to say it isn't exactly the same on another planet? Next we have money issues, is it really work beaming up signals into space for the off chance we get lucky and find something? SETI spend a lot of money in looking for other life but is it really worth it? Now these next two I can't answer, I would like to think that aliens would have a similar society to ours, it would seem logical, I guess. On the other hand their evolution could lead to a totally different kind of society all together.

Any religious people who want to give their input is welcomed.
[Image: girva.png]
RE: Aliens - Are they out there? Have they visited us? And related questions
(November 2, 2010 at 8:35 pm)-KT Wrote: Just wondering what peoples opinions are on these closely related subjects. Here are some questions for you to consider and think about:

1. Without applying any limit on the distance outside the earth, the answer is almost certainly yes.
2. Unknown, do you include panspermia? we do not have enough samples to make a reasonably educated guess.
3. Depends on how basic is the similarity. Composed of amino acids like us? Probably yes for at a very substantial percentage of life. Motile? Very likely, Vision? Very likely though not necessarily to a similar EM range as us. Bilaterally symmetrical? Probably at least some. Looks like Mr. Spock or little gray or green men? very unlikely
4. Depends on much money is spent. 10 cents? No. $100 billion a year? yes.
5. The chance of that would likely be low. Our social structure is governed by fundamental biological traits developed throughout histroy of our evolution all the way back to development of meosis. If any of those developements over 3+ billion years turned out differently, our social structure would be very different, assuming we as complex motile organisms could evolve at all.
6. No, see 5 as starting point.

1. Most probably.
2. Most probably not.
3. Look like us? Most probably not. Have basic similarities? Possibly.
4. No. Most of it is private funding anyway.
5. They could. They probably don't though.
6. They could. Without meeting one I can't speculate further.

A better question is, is there intelligent life on earth?

Unlikely.

Unlikely

No. Better to spend it there than give more tax cuts to the rich.

Only if they are stupid.

Only if they are very stupid.
KT Wrote:Is there intelligent life outside Earth?

Yes.

Quote:Have we been visited by beings from other planets?

Not that I know of, though some bacterium/etc may be present.

Quote:Would aliens look like us or carry basic similarities?

Some do.

Quote:Is the money wasted on looking for life outside of Earth?

At the moment: yes. Also, set up some defenses and perhaps settle some new territory before you start seriously trying to find your neighbors. Scouting is not unimportant, but prioritize not being absolutely obliterated instantly, I should say.

Quote:Could or would aliens have a similar society to our own?

The cultures of the universe are varied and often complex.

Quote:Could or would aliens believe in a 'God' figure or have a religious society?

Yes.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Questions 1 thru 5;

Sure, why not?
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(November 3, 2010 at 6:28 am)Dotard Wrote: Questions 1 thru 5;

Sure, why not?

What's wrong with #6? I should think they would all be enlightened enough to know about your existence Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(November 2, 2010 at 8:35 pm)-KT Wrote: [*]Is there intelligent life outside Earth?

Probably. It also depends on the definition of intelligent.

Quote:[*]Have we been visited by beings from other planets?

Probably not.

Quote:[*]Would aliens look like us or carry basic similarities?

It completely depends on the environment the aliens would live normally. Different shapes for different environments. Legs on a gas-planet would be pretty useless.

Quote:[*]Is the money wasted on looking for life outside of Earth?

I don't know, I can't see a practical application to it immediately if that is what you mean, but then not every scientific inquiry needs to be justified with a return of investment.

Quote:[*]Could or would aliens have a similar society to our own?
Just like life on this planet, some probably do, most probably don't.

Quote:[*]Could or would aliens believe in a 'God' figure or have a religious society?
I don't see why not.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
1. Maybe.
2. Maybe.
3. Maybe.
4. Maybe.
5. Maybe.
6. Maybe.

Quote:Is there intelligent life outside Earth?
Most likely. On earth however, I really doubt it.

Quote:Have we been visited by beings from other planets?
It's possible.

Quote:Would aliens look like us or carry basic similarities?
Look like us? Well it's possible but very unlikely. Similarities...very possible.

Quote:Is the money wasted on looking for life outside of Earth?
Maybe, maybe not.

Quote:Could or would aliens have a similar society to our own?
Only if they happen to be as stupid as us. You don't get much dumber than the human race.

Quote:Could or would aliens believe in a 'God' figure or have a religious society?
Only if they are extremely stupid. Like us pretty much. If they believe in god and happen to be religious like us, they'd never make it to advanced space travel. They would never be able to get a single foot off their planet. To busy deluding themselves.Worship
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there situations where it is better to have a low IQ? Alexmahone 41 6526 July 5, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Refuting Creationist Claims Part II: Flood-Related Beliefs RonaldReagansGhost666 7 3684 February 26, 2013 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  so impulsive, they coulda tried to work it out! jackman 2 1292 June 13, 2012 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: jackman
  If anybody thinks humans and chimps aren't related. Zen Badger 7 3014 September 30, 2011 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  it turns out there was a crocoduck after all.. annatar 4 2045 December 30, 2010 at 8:49 am
Last Post: The Omnissiunt One
  Do you believe in aliens? Edwardo Piet 24 12228 November 5, 2008 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet