Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 1, 2024, 2:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amputee Argument Misrepresentation
Amputee Argument Misrepresentation
This gets under my skin.

Most of us know the amputee argument.

Well the folks at https://www.gotquestions.org/God-heal-amputees.html are misrepresenting the whole thing.

For starters, they say that atheists ask, "Why won't God heal amputees?" No atheist is asking this question! The question is "Why don't people pray for God to make amputees grow their limbs back?" The question, put correctly, shines a light on belief in the "power of prayer."

Theists pray for someone to recover from cancer. According to them, what they are doing has real world effects. Here's the process: 

1. They find out their friend has cancer.
2. They pray for God to intervene.
3. God hears their prayers and uses his holy power to make the impossible happen.
4. The person with cancer recovers.
5. Everyone says, "Praise the Lord"

Isn't it funny, though, how the recovery could have happened without God? Cancers go into remission unexpectedly all the time. But since everyone prayed, God now gets the credit. Bullshit. The above sequence of events in no way demonstrates that God intervened on anyone's behalf. And even the people who participate in prayer circles know deep down that this is the truth.

How do we know? Because no one with any sense of good taste is going to go into church and say, "Hey guys, let's all get together and pray that veteran Bob grows his arm back."

But why not? Can't God make miracles happen? It appears so only when some of the die rolls are being made behind the dungeon master's screen. When something is simply not naturally possible, people don't pray for it. 

Anyway, the purpose of this post isn't to reiterate the argument, but rather to point out how shamefully misleading gotquestions.org is. I can imagine that many Christians who have this question posed to them go home and google it and think that this piece of shit article puts the issue to rest. It's not that the article produces a bad counter-- it's that whoever wrote the article KNEW that they were misrepresenting the argument and without any kind of couth put this crap together as if to say "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." This at least suggests that the author saw that there was no real counterargument to be made. How does a person justify being so dishonest in service of their God?

Perhaps it's just cognitive dissonance, but I think some more sinister impulses are at work. (Check out the article if you think I'm exaggerating its deceptive qualities. I'm not.)
RE: Amputee Argument Misrepresentation
AFAIK, even Rev. Pat Robertson has never announced a "Word of Knowledge" healing of an amputated limb.

Or head for that matter . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

How come 'god' doesn't just know?  Fucking salamanders can grow new limbs?

Perhaps their god is more powerful?
Generally I ask why faith "healers" are never seen working in hospitals?

Just one verified miraculous cure would get a whole lot of attention.
Dying to live, living to die.
Theists are conditioned to respond only to the unfalsifiable.
They won't pray for obvious things like limbs growing back as they know that God won't respond. How silly would they look? They would be forced to concede that their skydaddy let them down once again...

Whereas if I prayed for my salamander to grow it's leg back, how can I be certain that God didn't intervene? Warm and fuzzies alround!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
All prayer is self centered bullshit, even when they claim to be praying for XYZ person(s).
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
-closes eyes, prays

* please god, don't let mh think I'm being self centred just because I'm having a one of one discussion with you, the creator of the universe. Forgive him, I think he's just jealous that you're not talking to him also. Atheists are funny like that. Can't blame them really. I can't help it that I'm special, now can I?*
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(December 11, 2017 at 11:24 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: This gets under my skin.

Well the folks at https://www.gotquestions.org/God-heal-amputees.html are misrepresenting the whole thing.

For starters, they say that atheists ask, "Why won't God heal amputees?" No atheist is asking this question! The question is "Why don't people pray for God to make amputees grow their limbs back?" The question, put correctly, shines a light on belief in the "power of prayer."

Theists pray for someone to recover from cancer. According to them, what they are doing has real world effects. Here's the process: 

3. God hears their prayers and uses his holy power to make the impossible happen.

Isn't it funny, though, how the recovery could have happened without God? Cancers go into remission unexpectedly all the time. But since everyone prayed, God now gets the credit. Bullshit. The above sequence of events in no way demonstrates that God intervened on anyone's behalf. And even the people who participate in prayer circles know deep down that this is the truth.

How do we know? Because no one with any sense of good taste is going to go into church and say, "Hey guys, let's all get together and pray that veteran Bob grows his arm back."

But why not? Can't God make miracles happen? It appears so only when some of the die rolls are being made behind the dungeon master's screen. When something is simply not naturally possible, people don't pray for it. 

Anyway, the purpose of this post isn't to reiterate the argument, but rather to point out how shamefully misleading gotquestions.org is. I can imagine that many Christians who have this question posed to them go home and google it and think that this piece of shit article puts the issue to rest. It's not that the article produces a bad counter-- it's that whoever wrote the article KNEW that they were misrepresenting the argument and without any kind of couth put this crap together as if to say "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." This at least suggests that the author saw that there was no real counterargument to be made. How does a person justify being so dishonest in service of their God?

Perhaps it's just cognitive dissonance, but I think some more sinister impulses are at work. (Check out the article if you think I'm exaggerating its deceptive qualities. I'm not.)

Christians have already shown prayer doesn't work. Google Templeton prayer study some day.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Prayers (all sorts, not just 'healing' prayers) are always answered in the affirmative in a rate that is exactly equal to chance.

The one medicinal prayer I've ever heard that made even a little bit of sense was on an episode of M*A*S*H.  The surgeons needed to perform an arterial transplant to save a soldier, but the terminally wounded donor (another soldier) was taking his sweet time about dying.  Father Mulcahy said, 'Heavenly Father, I don't know what you're going to think of me for asking this, but if you're going to take him anyway, take him soon, so we can save the other boy.'  Struck me as a rather practical sort of prayer.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 11, 2017 at 11:24 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: This gets under my skin.

I think this quote says its all (from the link above)

''Who is to say that in the history of the world, God has never caused a limb to regenerate?''

Clearly they have zero examples, and far from making their own point, they are making the atheist asking the questions point.  Christianity (along with other religions)  is more and more reliant on the 'you can't prove otherwise' excuse when it comes to legitimate questions.
'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'