Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh no! Another alien probe
Oh no! Another alien probe
Recently, in mid-October, Earth was visited by the mysterious object from another solar system named 'Oumuamua'.  It is now already halfway to Jupiter, too far for a rendezvous mission and rapidly fading from the view of Earth’s most powerful telescopes. But because of it's strange shape some scientists think it could be an alien probe so with the help of billionaire Yuri Milner scientists will today use radioisotopes to listen it if it maybe  transmitting or at least leaking radio waves.

Quote:So far limited observations of ‘Oumuamua, using facilities such as the SETI Institute’s Allen Telescope Array, have turned up nothing. But this Wednesday at 3 p.m. Eastern time, the Breakthrough Listen project will aim the West Virgina-based 100-meter Green Bank Telescope at ‘Oumuamua for 10 hours of observations in a wide range of radio frequencies, scanning the object across its entire rotation in search of any signals.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...-oumuamua/
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Oh no! Another alien probe
From the article:

Quote:Oumuamua might be shaped rather like a needle, up to 800 meters long and only 80 wide, spinning every seven hours and 20 minutes. That would mean it is like no asteroid ever seen before, instead resembling the collision-minimizing form favored in many designs for notional interstellar probes.

I would think the fact that the thing is spinning would suggest it is not under any sort of control. And as for it being of a 'collision-minimizing form' that would only work if the pointy bit is facing forward. If it looks like a rock, acts like a rock, then its probably a rock.
It's a pity we didn't spot the bastard a few years ago then we could have built a probe to chase after it. A close up study of an extra stellar object, now that would be mightily interesting.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(December 13, 2017 at 10:12 am)Succubus Wrote: From the article:

Quote:Oumuamua might be shaped rather like a needle, up to 800 meters long and only 80 wide, spinning every seven hours and 20 minutes. That would mean it is like no asteroid ever seen before, instead resembling the collision-minimizing form favored in many designs for notional interstellar probes.

I would think the fact that the thing is spinning would suggest it is not under any sort of control. And as for it being of a 'collision-minimizing form' that would only work if the pointy bit is facing forward. If it looks like a rock, acts like a rock, then its probably a rock.
It's a pity we didn't spot the bastard a few years ago then we could have built a probe to chase after it. A close up study of an extra stellar object, now that would be mightily interesting.

While I appreciate the sentiment, a rendezvous (or flyby) mission, even with a 20 year heads up would have been extraordinarily difficult. (read that as expensive)

I won't say it would have been 'impossible' but the challenge of it's small size, high speed and 'weird' trajectory would have made getting a probe anywhere near it the most challenging mission ever undertaken. Ideally, the encounter would be preferred to occur closer to earth and the sun for communication and illumination, but the 'rock' had a near 90 degree deflection encountering our inner solar system.

I don't shy away from a challenge, but that would have been a very demanding mission profile. And arranging for a relatively lower speed flyby (makes picture taking easier) of such a fast rock that is apparently less than 1000 feet long, wow, that would tax the technology (and nerves) in a way no other mission to date (or planned) ever has.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Bummer. Sad
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
If it were spinning around its major axis, that would be something. But it's just tumbling. Interesting object, nonetheless.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
It is still difficult for me to see how typical natural process we’ve identified could have created such a long and slander object.

I like to see whether, given its shape and rate of rotation, it could stick together by self gravity or if it would fly apart unless it was made of one single solid piece with significant structural strength.

If it has to be a single solid piece with significant strength, then it probably has to be a fragment of a much larger body that was sufficiently massive to have geological processes to weld such a large piece of material into a single piece with structural integrity.

If that is the case, I wonder what kind of fragmentation process could result in such a long slander shard that isn’t broken further along its long dimension during the breakup?
(December 13, 2017 at 10:12 am)Succubus Wrote: From the article:

A needle with a ratio of 1/10 makes me go "sew?"

(December 13, 2017 at 11:39 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: It is still difficult for me to see how typical natural process we’ve identified could have created such a long and slander object.

Is there a standard model for interstellar objects?
Quote:While I appreciate the sentiment, a rendezvous (or flyby) mission, even with a 20 year heads up would have been extraordinarily difficult. (read that as expensive)

And yet the Europeans did it with that comet.  Ever notice that while we talk about how great we are other nations are actually doing things instead of just running their mouths.

We should really correct that.
(December 13, 2017 at 12:21 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:While I appreciate the sentiment, a rendezvous (or flyby) mission, even with a 20 year heads up would have been extraordinarily difficult. (read that as expensive)

And yet the Europeans did it with that comet.  Ever notice that while we talk about how great we are other nations are actually doing things instead of just running their mouths.

We should really correct that.

The ESA knew when that comet would be here.
(December 13, 2017 at 11:42 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(December 13, 2017 at 11:39 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: It is still difficult for me to see how typical natural process we’ve identified could have created such a long and slander object.

Is there a standard model for interstellar objects?

No, but the length to width ratio of this object is not only the greatest we’ve ever seen, it is >3 Times greater than the next highest ratio we’ve seen. So it seems reasonable to say it’s shape requires a formation circumstances we haven’t seen before.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  China soft lands a probe on Mars. Anomalocaris 16 1412 October 28, 2021 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Alien Worlds Foxaèr 10 820 December 7, 2020 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  NASA's Ceres Probe Minimalist 1 969 September 5, 2016 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  New probe to sail on Titan's lake Fake Messiah 4 1361 August 24, 2016 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Tidal Forces on Alien Planets thesummerqueen 1 1403 February 25, 2012 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: passionatefool
  Rumor Roundup: Has NASA Discovered Alien Life? downbeatplumb 7 2973 December 2, 2010 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb