Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask a bike delivery person....
Ask a bike delivery person....
So I'm up in Portland and training for a climbing trip to Spain I'll be taking in less then a month all while nursing a shoulder injury. A friend suggested that I could both get in shape and make money by delivering food on a bike for ubereats.

I also have a future goal of going on a multi month long bike/climbing tour in the southwest. Bike tourers bike between 60 and 100 miles a day. Do im working up to that. I've found ubereats to be a totally fascinating system. So ask me questions! I'll give you the skinny..
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
RE: Ask a bike delivery person....
Is your area bike friendly? I've heard horror stories of bike messengers and so forth being forced off the roadway (or worse) by cars. Any issues with that?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 22, 2017 at 2:17 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Is your area bike friendly? I've heard horror stories of bike messengers and so forth being forced off the roadway (or worse) by cars. Any issues with that?

Boru

Well I'm in Portland. I don't actually live here though, I'm just visiting people. So the whole city is new to me. But the other city I've biked in (just to get around, not as a job) is Seattle, and Portland is a dream compared to that. I'm Seattle on my normal commute, 0 bike lanes and what I called "the hill of death" Portland has whole separate bike lanes that aren't even on the road and most roads have bike lanes. There are really only two scary bits that I regularly go through delivering.

That said, I almost got door checked yesterday. I'm like hyperaware while biking and my bike is actually a hybrid street cruiser, not a strict road bike. I lose a little speed on the roads but I can go on sidewalks or grass even with no problem. So I'm not afraid to get on the sidewalk of the traffic gets crazy. I also haven't been riding at night, because I don't know the city well enough for that. In Seattle I would though.
Compared to car delivery, does bike delivery save money (because of fuel and vehicle costs being eliminated) or cost more (because it takes longer) for a company?

Also, can you bike  some lunch up to Vancouver for me please? Tongue
(December 22, 2017 at 2:28 pm)shadow Wrote: Compared to car delivery, does bike delivery save money (because of fuel and vehicle costs being eliminated) or cost more (because it takes longer) for a company?

I have no idea. I think uber has a formula for whether or not to give a job to a bike or car based on a number of factors, distance, parking, traffic. From what i was reading online, bike deliverers make more money on average. Since you are paid per delivery, not hourly. I have a Toyota dolphin, it's a small RV, and no amount of money would be enough to make me drive it around Portland.

Vancouver Washington or Canada?
A long time ago a friend of mine was doing that and some idjit opened the car door and was getting out at moment of impact. Friend was ok, driver had hairline fracture in lower leg.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(December 22, 2017 at 2:35 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote:
(December 22, 2017 at 2:28 pm)shadow Wrote: Compared to car delivery, does bike delivery save money (because of fuel and vehicle costs being eliminated) or cost more (because it takes longer) for a company?

I have no idea. I think uber has a formula for whether or not to give a job to a bike or car based on a number of factors,  distance, parking, traffic. From what i was reading online, bike deliverers make more money on average. Since you are paid per delivery,  not hourly. I have a Toyota dolphin, it's a small RV, and no amount of money would be enough to make me drive it around Portland.

Oh, that sounds like it's a good deal for the company then or they wouldn't hire you (makes sense because cars aren't very efficient in dense urban areas compared to bikes). I love it when I see more sustainable business practices actually out-competing unsustainable ones.

Quote:Vancouver Washington or Canada?

Canada.
(December 22, 2017 at 3:00 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: A long time ago a friend of mine was doing that and some idjit opened the car door and was getting out at moment of impact. Friend was ok, driver had hairline fracture in lower leg.

I almost got door checked yesterday. Lol. I would have been okay though, just like with your friend. The driver would have been fucked.

I like to complain to uber a lot. If a delivery doesn't go smoothly, mostly because of their maps program i send them a mean complaint via text. In a way I never would to a boss I had to meet in person. Ive never met anyone in uber in person. Normally they respond to these texts by giving me a little extra money! Lol. Mostly for me they are just frustrated venting because they sent me over a bridge I didn't have to go to.

I also used to be a programming TA so i know the basics of how their program works, and why there is confusion in certain places. Mostly around Hawethorne bridge, which runs right over Hawethorn boulevard. So I send them programming advice sometimes too. Which confuses the hell out of the person on the other end, who doesn't seem to really be a tech person. They always say they forward it to their tech people. You always have actual person to complain to about pretty much anything.
So i decided to turn on the app and make a delivery. It was cold out but once i get started its not so bad. Delivered a grocery bag of tacos to a construction building. Took me about 20 minutes, $7.50

I think i'll take one more. I'm waiting, which is really strange on a friday. I think cause it,s the holidays and people are with their families. Nor ordering take out.

It's been raining on and off all morning. Which is why i just got started. Uber maps sent me to the back of the warehouse. Finding where to drop off is the hardest bit, oh, just got another o e. Guess ill take it.
I just recently learned about Ubereats; seriously, how much lazier are people going to get?

That's my question. Smile
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ask a poor person BrokenQuill92 49 4845 December 9, 2021 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Ask an ill person robvalue 11 2434 April 19, 2019 at 10:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Ask a (slightly) deranged person The Valkyrie 69 9858 March 25, 2018 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Ask a HIGHLY deranged person. Edwardo Piet 11 2157 March 21, 2018 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: SaStrike