Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is anyone familliar with the Ferrite cores?
Is anyone familliar with the Ferrite cores?
Recently I discovered my new subwoofer + speakers system isn't shielded from the cellphone's buzzing, so I Googled for possible solutions and found an article saying I should buy something called "Ferrite core" and place it on the input cable. They also say it can be harvested from old USB cables. Well, I don't have such USB cables but I remember seeing such cables and all of their Ferrite cores were encapsulated along with the cable. So the question is: should I strip the cable in order to attach the Ferrite core to it? If "yes", I'll have to look for another way.
There's one who I could ask but since we're both in quarrel with Facebook's fascism, I can't get in touch with him.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
RE: Is anyone familliar with the Ferrite cores?
nah... they're very common and not all that effective imo.

no need to strip anything... just put them around the cable...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
What else would you suggest for me to do to shield the hardware (and my ears, for that matter) from the buzzing, if not with ferrites? I'll put them on the cable anyway - if they can remove even half of the buzzing sound, I'm in, cuz without them it's so loud that it can awake the dead...
(January 3, 2018 at 9:25 am)Atheist_BG Wrote: What else would you suggest for me to do to shield the hardware (and my ears, for that matter) from the buzzing, if not with ferrites? I'll put them on the cable anyway - if they can remove even half of the buzzing sound, I'm in, cuz without them it's so loud that it can awake the dead...

Dolby 5.1? 7.1? in any case, you could replace the cables from amp to speakers with shielded cable.
I'm thinking there is another problem besides a lack of ferrite cores.

BTW, not too many years ago several models of flat screen TVs shipped with extra ferrite cores 'just in case'. Look around, you might have one, or the neighbors kept theirs.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Abaddon, I'm not even sure my sound card (Realtek, integrated) supports more than 2.1 sound. What if I put the subwoofer in a metal box and leave an opening only for the SW's speaker? It would be easier to find a metal box than finding the shielded cable vorlon mentioned.
'Ferrite core' sounds like something that the Feregi would trade for dilithium. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Wow. I looked at the title and was expecting a question about a very old form of computer storage.

Never mind.
(January 3, 2018 at 4:47 pm)polymath257 Wrote: Wow. I looked at the title and was expecting a question about a very old form of computer storage.

Never mind.

This.

I have not-so-fond memories about repairing 4 kilobyte ferrite core memory boards. Yes, 4 kilobytes, on a board approximately 19 inches square - still in use in the late 1980s to early 1990s.
(January 3, 2018 at 3:23 pm)Atheist_BG Wrote: Abaddon, I'm not even sure my sound card (Realtek, integrated) supports more than 2.1 sound. What if I put the subwoofer in a metal box and leave an opening only for the SW's speaker? It would be easier to find a metal box than finding the shielded cable vorlon mentioned.

Are you sure it is the SW picking up the interference?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can an 32-bit OS run on multiple 64-bit CPU cores? FlatAssembler 19 2465 March 5, 2020 at 1:28 pm
Last Post: FlatAssembler