Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't understand what my mom believes
I don't understand what my mom believes
Mom told me she imagines that a God exists for comfort. Some time ago my history teacher told my class that there is no proof for Jesus's existence. I told my mom this and she replied: "I don't understand what he's referring to. Muslims believe Jesus existed too but they don't consider Him a God. Maybe he meant that Jesus didn't leave any physical evidence, He couldn't because He ascendet.". I have no idea what she's talking about. Does she really just imagine a God for comfort or does she actually believe in Him? Should I ask her? How can I ask her that? When should I ask her?
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: I don't understand what my mom believes
She want's to "buy a ticket" in to heaven?
(January 14, 2018 at 6:26 am)purplepurpose Wrote: She want's to "buy a ticket" in to heaven? All that beautiful and grand  religious talk usually spins around buy and sell.

She doesn't believe in punishment and reward after death. She told me that Hell is an invention to attract more believers.

Charlie Chaplin
She probably just believes in belief and will fit whatever to fit whatever you say. "Well maybe" is a statement we hear a lot here.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(January 14, 2018 at 6:29 am)Die Atheistin Wrote:
(January 14, 2018 at 6:26 am)purplepurpose Wrote: She want's to "buy a ticket" in to heaven? All that beautiful and grand  religious talk usually spins around buy and sell.

She doesn't believe in punishment and reward after death. She told me that Hell is an invention to attract more believers.

So, she believes that Jesus will help her with this life?

What about kids dying of cancer? Why Jesus didn't help with his divine power?
(January 14, 2018 at 6:31 am)purplepurpose Wrote:
(January 14, 2018 at 6:29 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: She doesn't believe in punishment and reward after death. She told me that Hell is an invention to attract more believers.

So, she believes that Jesus will help her with this life?

She told me that praying helps because imagining that a God protects you makes you feel happy. She also told me what I mentioned in the OP so I don't get what she believes.

Charlie Chaplin
(January 14, 2018 at 6:38 am)Die Atheistin Wrote:
(January 14, 2018 at 6:31 am)purplepurpose Wrote: So, she believes that Jesus will help her with this life?

She told me that praying helps because imagining that a God protects you makes you feel happy. She also told me what I mentioned in the OP so I don't get what she believes.

She thinks there is no afterlife?(heaven or hell). If yes, then such faith is pointless. Your no different from a non believer for the most part.
(January 14, 2018 at 6:41 am)purplepurpose Wrote:
(January 14, 2018 at 6:38 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: She told me that praying helps because imagining that a God protects you makes you feel happy. She also told me what I mentioned in the OP so I don't get what she believes.

She thinks there is no afterlife?(heaven or hell). If yes, then such faith is pointless.

She said she doesn't know if there is an afterlife.

Charlie Chaplin
(January 14, 2018 at 6:44 am)Die Atheistin Wrote:
(January 14, 2018 at 6:41 am)purplepurpose Wrote: She thinks there is no afterlife?(heaven or hell). If yes, then such faith is pointless.

She said she doesn't know if there is an afterlife.

What if Jesus is just her imagination?
(January 14, 2018 at 6:49 am)purplepurpose Wrote: What if Jesus is just her imagination?

I think so but I wouldn't say it to her face. Not now at the very least.

Charlie Chaplin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help prayer to get maaried soon for my mom heath.! meboxem166 21 2778 April 1, 2023 at 5:52 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Someone I know believes in the Devil but not in Hell Der/die AtheistIn 36 2340 March 9, 2019 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  No-one under 25 in iceland believes god created the universe downbeatplumb 8 1755 August 19, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  My mom's vivid and religious dreams orthodox-man 19 1663 June 2, 2018 at 1:27 am
Last Post: KevinM1
Sad My mother believes in Jesus more than in me suffering23 56 8872 April 16, 2018 at 3:11 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  My mom made me confused Der/die AtheistIn 15 2582 November 19, 2017 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  J.P. Moreland believes that sperm cells have immortal souls. Jehanne 50 8987 April 26, 2017 at 9:30 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Problem With This Guy Is That He Does Not Understand Evangelicals Minimalist 1 1109 April 6, 2017 at 12:19 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  help me understand this OT and NT stuff Sara0229 35 8227 January 1, 2016 at 4:36 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Help Me Understand Shuffle 124 24553 November 9, 2015 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: jenny1972