Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 8:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
islam religon of peace?
islam religon of peace?
do any of you think it is.
RE: islam religon of peace?
Nope. /thread
Sure, just like Christianity is the religion of love. [/snark]
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
I think it is unfair to summarily judge Islam and in fact, any religion.

I'll start out by saying that I don't really care for any of the Abrahamic Religons. On the whole, I believe they promote an environmnt condusive to extremism and fundamentalism. It should also be noted however, that Islam is interpreted subjectively by its adherents.

Some may indeed use it as a vehicle on which to promote their extremism BUT I personally know many muslims who are completely peaceful in thought and action. A great many muslims follow a more subtle, nuianced system of beliefs than is widely accepted, a main tenent of which is peace.

I have experienced both forms of Islam. I find one utterly detestable and while I have no issue with nuianced, moderate Islam per se, I can not help thinking that it promotes the style of belief which is feeding the extremist sub-culture.

Thanks

Sam
"We need not suppose more things to exist than are absolutely neccesary." William of Occam

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt" William Shakespeare (Measure for Measure: Act 1, Scene 4)

AgnosticAtheist
Is Islam a religion of peace?

Look what happened when a newspaper had the temerity to publish cartoons depicting Muhammad! Look what happened when a school teacher allowed her class to name a teddy bear "Muhammad". Look what happened to Theo Van Gogh! Look what happened to Daniel Pearl!

All religions have their kooks, but Islam seems to breed lunacy. If Islam is 'the religion of peace", then I'm Obi Wan Kenobi.

Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
(November 17, 2010 at 11:19 am)Thor Wrote: If Islam is 'the religion of peace", then I'm Obi Wan Kenobi.

If Islam is 'the religion of peace'. and Obi Wan is taken, I'd like to be Yoda please.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(November 17, 2010 at 11:23 am)Dotard Wrote: If Islam is 'the religion of peace'. and Obi Wan is taken, I'd like to be Yoda please.

(Doing my best Yoda impression.)

Yoda you may be. Religion of peace, Islam is not.
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
It is a religion of primitive domination and unreasoned submission, in which argument for domination and submission was calibrated without tact or subtlety to overawe mediocre minds amongst 8th century Arab culture. To such minds peace is essentially a matter crudely asserted domination and nauseatingly willing submission. So for the intellectual capacity to which this religion is calibrated, it is a religion of peace.

In this Islam exhibits the primitive traits of Abrahamic root, along with some derived traits calculated to take into account the caliber and outlook of audience for which it was intend at the onset, and the fact that Christianity has already existed for some centuries in it's region. Islam is a religion of peace in essentially the same way and to essentially the same degree as Christianity. To people whose intellectual capacities are outside the scope for which either religion is calibrated, Christianity my seem less belligerent at the moment than Islam. But that is due in no part to any additional merit on the part of Christianity. It is due purely to secular social developments in the west that have managed, uneasily, to disgrace and suppressed some of the most strident aspects of Christianity whose counterparts in Islam are still allowed free reign.

There are two things that make Islamo-Christianity incompatible either with each other or with any other system of belief or non-belief:

1. Demand of conformity on pain of eternal torture after death
2. A devil to fight against, where the only other faction is the god being served.

The latter narrows down who any non-believer is in league with. There is no "Bob the Neutral Christ" or any other third possibility. All non-believers must therefore be in league with the devil. This literal demonizing of others makes it possible to do anything to them.

The former ratchets up the stakes as high as they can go. Not only is your "soul" at stake but so is the soul of everyone you love and care about. Killing an unrepentant non-believer to save the souls of your children, preventing their "corruption" can thereby be justified.

This is why Islamo-Christianity can preach the message of love and peace all they like. The two factors I mentioned make it just words.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
islam is as peaceful as any mafia organisation. Once you join there is no way out...
Quote:Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends.

Gandalf The Gray.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Freedom and peace in the Qur'an KuranMumini19 46 5014 May 7, 2020 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Quranic Reflection]: Jonah -peace be upon him- and the whale WinterHold 22 3628 December 26, 2019 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: no one
  Liberal Movement in Islam or Western Islam, the fight against islamic extremism Ashendant 16 7777 December 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Islam religion of peace , convert now before you end up in hell Youwait 62 13783 August 3, 2017 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Moses peace be upon him, very short tale. WinterHold 18 4197 March 8, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Islam is a Religon of Piss. ScienceAf 25 4194 November 2, 2016 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  Zakir Naik's Peace TV has been banned in Bangladesh and India ReptilianPeon 0 981 July 19, 2016 at 2:53 am
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  islam stipulates PEACE through indiscriminate violence driver82 9 1915 April 21, 2016 at 8:11 am
Last Post: Brian37
  IS: "Islam was never a religion of peace. Islam is the religion of fighting" Napoléon 11 5437 May 15, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Is Islam the religion of peace.....pffft....NO dyresand 83 13576 January 12, 2015 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus