Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quoting long posts.
Quoting long posts.
Creating long posts is absolutely fine (as long as they are your own work of course) but when people are replying to them could they avoid the temptation to quote the whole thing.

Perhaps simply quote a small section as otherwise it tends to make the thread quite difficult to read.

An alternative might be to wrap up large sections using the hide tag.

Code:
[hide]Large section of text[/hide]

Many thanks Cool
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Quoting long posts.
Nifty idea!

(January 3, 2009 at 6:48 pm)Darwinian Wrote:

Many thanks Cool
[Image: geelong_football_club.jpg]My site: http://puglover.org
Bex loves: skiing, bike riding, maths, pugs,
her atheist society, politics and religious studies.
Glad you like it Smile
hey let me try

[hide]
(January 3, 2009 at 6:48 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Creating long posts is absolutely fine (as long as they are your own work of course) but when people are replying to them could they avoid the temptation to quote the whole thing.

Perhaps simply quote a small section as otherwise it tends to make the thread quite difficult to read.

An alternative might be to wrap up large sections using the hide tag.

Code:
[hide]Large section of text[/hide]

Many thanks Cool
[hide]
damn i did it wrong
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful with out having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it to?" -Douglas Adams.Heart
Pastafarian
I Evolved!
You need to add a / to the end tag: [/hide]

yesss
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful with out having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it to?" -Douglas Adams.Heart
Pastafarian
I Evolved!
This is a big issue for me as I left another forum because they wouldn't let me post long posts that I'd written myself ... the HIDE tag though is a marvellous way to get round it (I recognise that long posts, regardless of who wrote them, have the potential to overwhelm and/or irritate).

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Now all we need is a way to automate the process! Detect if the post is too long, and if it is (and isn't hidden) automatically wrap it in a hide tag.
(March 10, 2009 at 8:29 am)Tiberius Wrote: Now all we need is a way to automate the process! Detect if the post is too long, and if it is (and isn't hidden) automatically wrap it in a hide tag.

That would be quite cool.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(March 10, 2009 at 8:29 am)Tiberius Wrote: Now all we need is a way to automate the process! Detect if the post is too long, and if it is (and isn't hidden) automatically wrap it in a hide tag.

I'd be able to do it in Delphi Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A request to delete my posts in the members photo thread WinterHold 30 4751 July 1, 2020 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Today's Posts? Yonadav 9 1659 March 23, 2019 at 1:00 am
Last Post: Sal
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Is there a quick way to view new posts in an existing thread? fromdownunder 6 1382 September 18, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  List Posts BrianSoddingBoru4 15 3087 April 7, 2018 at 8:02 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Issue with clicking "View New Posts" Foxaèr 5 1396 July 23, 2017 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Someone's been quoting me, but nothing's there. Foxaèr 9 2967 July 19, 2017 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Spam Detection (READ THIS IF YOUR POSTS KEEP DISAPPEARING) Tiberius 30 15967 July 4, 2017 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  All posts in this thread have vanished! Aroura 0 1058 February 15, 2017 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: Aroura
  Mafia game threads showing in "Today's Posts" lists Ravenshire 18 6570 February 5, 2017 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire