Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Went to church today
Went to church today
Upon the advice of my therapist, I've joined the Hamilton City Chess Club. It meets Friday evenings at Emmanuel United Church. I drew today's game.

So it looks like I'll be going to church every Friday now. I hope this doesn't get me made fun of on AF.
RE: Went to church today
Practice the words of grandmaster Aron Nimzowitsch.  Upon losing a match he climbed on a table and shouted "How can I lose to this idiot."

I rather imagine that Hillary Clinton had the same sensation.
(March 23, 2018 at 11:08 pm)Alexmahone Wrote: Upon the advice of my therapist, I've joined the Hamilton City Chess Club. It meets Friday evenings at Emmanuel United Church. I drew today's game.

So it looks like I'll be going to church every Friday now. I hope this doesn't get me made fun of on AF.

I know of people who love Gregorian chants so much that they sing in church choirs just to enjoy the music-making. Other examples abound- an organist who is also atheist. Might as well make a little money doing what one likes. You're not there to be a christ-puncher, so you should be OK. Unless they start leaning on your unsaved "soul". Don't rely on me, though. I like chess as much as I like religion, which is to say not at all. YMMV.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(March 23, 2018 at 11:44 pm)Fireball Wrote:
(March 23, 2018 at 11:08 pm)Alexmahone Wrote: Upon the advice of my therapist, I've joined the Hamilton City Chess Club. It meets Friday evenings at Emmanuel United Church. I drew today's game.

I know of people who love Gregorian chants so much that they sing in church choirs just to enjoy the music-making. Other examples abound- an organist who is also atheist. Might as well make a little money doing what one likes. You're not there to be a christ-puncher, so you should be OK. Unless they start leaning on your unsaved "soul". Don't rely on me, though. I like chess as much as I like religion, which is to say not at all. YMMV.

There are a lot of atheist church musicians.  Some friends of mine claim that the number is about 25%.  Although if I had the option, (as in, getting a decent paying real job) I would quit in a heartbeat.  I like chess a lot, who cares what building the club meets in?  It's not as if it's special in any way.     Dodgy   Have a boatload of fun playing!
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
I would pay 100 $ than visit church regularly.

We'll make fun of you anyway.
Dying to live, living to die.
That's not really going to church. It's just meeting in a church, it really could have met anywhere else.

But anyway, no one would think less of you anyway. Big Grin

My mom still drags me to church sometimes. O_O
The bugle sounds as the charge begins

But on this battlefield no one wins

- Iron Maiden, The Trooper
(March 23, 2018 at 11:22 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Practice the words of grandmaster Aron Nimzowitsch.  Upon losing a match he climbed on a table and shouted "How can I lose to this idiot."

I rather imagine that Hillary Clinton had the same sensation.

Y'know, I've been there. I hate losing a match to a player I perceive as dull-witted or unimaginative. It's like ten times worse than losing to an artful and talented player. That's chess, though. 

And, unfortunately, that's politics.
If you don't catch on fire when you first cross the threshold you're probably good to go.

Just to be safe, don't drink their water.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I'm taking a schizophrenic couple to church tomorrow night.

I'm quite curious to see how it goes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? BrianSoddingBoru4 3670 201223 Today at 4:38 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How's the weather treating you today? Foxaèr 69 1031 April 20, 2024 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1098 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Awfully quiet today. arewethereyet 29 2282 April 9, 2023 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Happy Birthday to all the members who were "born" today! Jehanne 7 692 January 4, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  I went to the wrong kind of school. onlinebiker 5 448 April 20, 2022 at 3:26 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A DNR that went wrong. Jehanne 12 806 March 31, 2021 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1131 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  My uncle died from COVID19 today. Jehanne 17 1109 November 26, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Losty
  I heard from Rob today! ReptilianPeon 2 522 March 29, 2020 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4