Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another reason why Christians go to church
Another reason why Christians go to church
I guess the main reason Christians go to church is to worship God and thus ensure their passage to heaven. But it recently occurred to me that another reason may be to show other church-goers that they're good/moral people.

Do any Christians disagree?
RE: Another reason why Christians go to church
Actually,

[Image: article-2332998-1A0E4A04000005DC-872_634x402.jpg]

attendance seems a tad sparse.
I wouldn’t disagree, that some may, for those reasons.

But would disagree, that both are not very good reasons to do so, from a Christian perspective.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
I think a lot of it has to do with the feeling of belonging to a community.

I've heard from a number of ex-theists that one thing they miss about religion is the sense of belonging to a community, something, so far, the atheist community has been unable, on the whole, to replicate.

Of course, when we DO form communities, many religious groups claim it's just another form of "church".

And, of course, trying to organise atheists is like trying to herd stoned cats on rollerblades...
Dying to live, living to die.
It was a place where, socially at least, people tended to be on good behavior. I had no other place to meet and talk to people. That said I was a true believer in that bullshit.
(April 22, 2018 at 9:39 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Of course, when we DO form communities, many religious groups claim it's just another form of "church".

So, AF.org is a kind of "church"?  Huh
(April 22, 2018 at 9:41 pm)The Industrial Atheist Wrote: It was a place where, socially at least, people tended to be on good behavior. I had no other place to meet and talk to people. That said I was a true believer in that bullshit.

No underground swingers' clubs?

That's where many of the believers probably were on Saturday nights...
Dying to live, living to die.
(April 22, 2018 at 9:35 pm)Alexmahone Wrote: I guess the main reason Christians go to church is to worship God and thus ensure their passage to heaven. But it recently occurred to me that another reason may be to show other church-goers that they're good/moral people.

Do any Christians disagree?

This sentiment has never crossed my mind in my entire life lol.

Perhaps there are people out there who feel this way, but it isn't a sentiment I personally have ever encountered on myself or others, as far as I know.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(April 22, 2018 at 9:44 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(April 22, 2018 at 9:41 pm)The Industrial Atheist Wrote: It was a place where, socially at least, people tended to be on good behavior. I had no other place to meet and talk to people. That said I was a true believer in that bullshit.

No underground swingers' clubs?

That's where many of the believers probably were on Saturday nights...

Hahaha I wish! I was pretty shy and I actually did believe that stuff lol
Reputation is important. As long as person doesn't show value to God for the sake of reputation, but if you value God above all else, and you can gain a reputation of your commitment to God, it's not bad, as long as the devotion to God is not for the sake of showing off.

It's good for yourself and it's good for spreading example and building a community and commanding to good and forbidding evil by action.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13148 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1235 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Sinning, as Jesus and the church say, is good. Turn or burn Christians. Greatest I am 71 5444 October 20, 2020 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7823 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Why are Christians so full of hate? I_am_not_mafia 183 17583 October 18, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 3932 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Human Reason and Christian Denominations Bahana 92 15089 April 20, 2018 at 9:25 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15041 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
  Reason why aliens coming here will want to kill us Fake Messiah 20 6168 October 11, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why do Christians want to go to Heaven? Fake Messiah 52 19126 June 28, 2017 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Astonished