Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there free will in heaven?
Is there free will in heaven?
I read this argument from a brilliant poster named Brian Sodding Boru, an instrument-maker residing in New Zealand; on the recently exclusive board (now closed to all but actual customers) at Insight Broadband.

Christians often give free will credit/blame for man's choice to reject god and perform evil. God, we are told, wanted to make certain that our belief and our worship was genuine. He didn't want a race of sheep.

So,what happens in Heaven? Heaven is the ultimate reward, is it not? And those who make it past the Pearly Gates will be there a very, very, very, very long time. Will they have free will there? Could they commit evil? Could they reject god? Lucifer did? If we have free will, what would prevent us (and this is an editorial "us") from having differences of opinion about god, his rules and the nature of the universe he created?

And if we do not have free will, have we not lost something of immense value; something so valuable that god would rather see 99 of 100 of us burn in eternal fire, torment and damnation for the next trillion^trillion years rather than see us do without it? Surely it is something humans have PAID for.

So... what gives?
RE: Is their free will in heaven?
Despite I don't believe in Heaven or Hell for that matter, I will give my $0.02 based on readings of the bible. According to the bible when Jesus comes back, this world as we know will be destroyed and replaced with an "new heavens and earth", also everybody will be resurrected and judged. Those who are deemed righteous will get to live in the "new heavens and earth", those who are not will be thrown into the "lake of fire". A question can be raised if hell is sort of place a lot of people imagine it or just a place where you are distant from god.

In the meantime between now and the second coming of Jesus, I am not sure if people go to "provisional" blessings or punishment or it is more like you die, then you wake up when you are resurrected at the end of days. The New Testament is quite contradictory, not surprising since the first followers of Jesus expected him to come back and establish the kingdom of god in their lifetimes.
undefined
So, what about free will Mr Stardust. Will we have it in heaven or will we be mindless sheep?
(December 3, 2010 at 9:15 am)Abraham3 Wrote: So, what about free will Mr Stardust. Will we have it in heaven or will we be mindless sheep?

I am not sure, because the bible is very contradictory when it comes to the whole free will vs determinism thing. Some Christians (Calvinists) deny free will* and asserts humans are slaves to either sin or righteousness and would assert people in heaven will be slaves of the latter. If I were a betting man and knowing Yahweh is a sadistic bastard, I would agree with the Calvinist view. However there would be Christians would be beg to differ.

* The denial of free will and the whole slaves to sin or righteousness thing does have a flaw, it would implie that god created evil and no Christian how matter denying of free will would admit to that.
undefined
My guess is that believers will still be mindless sheep.
The Bible teaches that in Heaven believers will have new, glorified bodies. Many theologians believe that we will have free will in Heaven, but since there is no sin in Heaven we cannot sin.
In heaven you are free to think anything you like about being fucked in the ass every minute by a dead apocalyptic preacher named Jesus so long as you never fail to pretend to enjoy it.
Quote:Many theologians believe that we will have free will in Heaven

Many theologians believe lots of silly shit. Talk about a worthless discipline!
(December 3, 2010 at 12:22 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Many theologians believe that we will have free will in Heaven

Many theologians believe lots of silly shit. Talk about a worthless discipline!

I see you still haven't gotten your hug.

If you are going to respond to my posts, try to keep a civil tonuge in your pie hole. If you are not able to carry on a decent conversation it would be best to keep quiet.
One never knows where a hug from any Christian preacher or clergymen will lead. Perhaps you delusions about the power of your fantasy man god and your habits with your brain dead sheep of a flock confused you about your power and respectability, but here you command neither to tell another to best keep quiet.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there free will in Heaven? zwanzig 54 4369 April 12, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Eternity in Heaven - Scary? JairCrawford 47 5437 July 26, 2018 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Pope Francis -- dogs go to Heaven! Jehanne 34 5499 October 19, 2017 at 3:46 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  There is a difference between salvation, and the rewards of Heaven Drich 45 13608 July 31, 2017 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Drich
  Why do Christians want to go to Heaven? Fake Messiah 52 19089 June 28, 2017 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Astonished
  "heaven" meme on facebook drfuzzy 34 7710 May 2, 2016 at 4:44 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Are there animals in heaven? Mermaid 53 8475 November 7, 2015 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  My thoughts on heaven dyresand 24 7155 November 3, 2015 at 5:57 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Bible way to Heaven sinnerdaniel94 362 52496 October 14, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Heaven is full of tapeworms Brakeman 15 4514 August 13, 2015 at 10:23 am
Last Post: orangebox21