Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism VS Anti-theism VS Agnostic
Atheism VS Anti-theism VS Agnostic
Hello all,

It's been a while since I was here!

Sorry if this has been hashed out before- I was just having a conversation with my uncle, and he was wondering what I meant when I said I was atheist. He thought I meant to say anti-theist, which he claimed to be, since he does not believe in a "God," since apparently the definition of atheism are:

"1. the doctrine or belief that there is no god.
2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings."

He was calling himself ANTI theist because he does not believe in a god or supreme being, and is against organized religion. Now I understand that when I call myself an Atheist I mean to say that I try to be skeptical as much as I can, and that I don't believe, based on what I see in the world, in any god, higher power, or spiritual events.

Now, IS there a better word than atheist for what I am?
[Image: Canadatheist3copy.jpg?t=1270015625]
RE: Atheism VS Anti-theism VS Agnostic
The three terms are related, but mean three different things.

Atheist: anyone that lacks belief in deities.

Anti-Theist: anyone that is opposed to religion and/or the religious.

Agnostic: anyone that claims to lack knowledge one way or the other, usually used in conjunction with the existence of deities.
Yes, the googlebot agrees.

As I am an Atheist, I don't believe in deities. However, neither do I believe in ghosts, fairies, "spiritual powers" which some might argue are not "deities." Is the best term simply "Non-believer"? It seems so... unspecific.
I use the word 'skeptic'. When it comes to the existence of deities, I am an atheist. I also lack belief in the 'paranormal' and 'supernatural'... so I am a skeptic. At least... that's the term I use.
I prefer the term Strong atheist, but i'm not fully aware what that applies to
If you're uncertain about your agnosticism, does that make you a double agnostic?! Confusedhock:
"Faith is about taking a comforting, childlike view of a disturbing and complicated world." ~ Edward Current

[Image: Invisible_Pink_Unicorn_by_stampystampy.gif] [Image: 91b7ba0967f80c8c43c58fdf3fa0571a.gif] [Image: Secular_Humanist_by_MaruLovesStamps.gif]
(December 4, 2010 at 4:02 pm)Ashendant Wrote: I prefer the term Strong atheist, but i'm not fully aware what that applies to

Strong atheism: I believe there is no god

Weak atheism: I have not seen any good reason/evidence to believe in a deity/religion

the position of weak atheism is more or less agnostic atheism

Have you found Jesus? If so read "the god dillusion"
Great. Thanks guys!!!

(December 4, 2010 at 4:18 pm)Lethe Wrote: If you're uncertain about your agnosticism, does that make you a double agnostic?! Confusedhock:

I'm a level four agnostic. I don't even believe that belief in a belief is believable.
(December 4, 2010 at 5:28 pm)yuriythebest Wrote:
(December 4, 2010 at 4:02 pm)Ashendant Wrote: I prefer the term Strong atheist, but i'm not fully aware what that applies to

Strong atheism: I believe there is no god

Weak atheism: I have not seen any good reason/evidence to believe in a deity/religion

the position of weak atheism is more or less agnostic atheism
Not true. Both strong and weak atheism can be agnostic. As long as the person states that they "do not know" whether God exists, they are full capable of believing there is no God, or taking a lesser stance of simply not believing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History: The Iniquitous Anti-Christian French Revolution. Nishant Xavier 27 2197 August 6, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Atheism, theism, agnosticism, gnosticism, ignosticism Simon Moon 25 2037 October 29, 2022 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 1996 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 1813 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Comparing Theism with Flat-Earthism FlatAssembler 26 1906 December 21, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Protection Against the Wiles of Theism Rhondazvous 9 1449 April 7, 2019 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 18567 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3488 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Question from an agnostic chrisNub 41 9342 March 30, 2018 at 7:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1102 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89