Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 18, 2024, 10:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello Hello
Thumbs Up 
Hello Hello
Hi everyone,

My name's Lou, I'm from the UK and I'm 22. I was raised in a secular home (although I have extended family of all faiths) and have been an Atheist as long as I can remember. And it's not that I haven't questioned it, I have as a child and as an adolescent, but I do consider myself lucky that I wasn't raised under any specific dogma and was encouraged from a young age to make up my own mind.

I'm also an archaeologist, which ties in nicely. In fact, I've excavated sites that are far older than the Bible says Earth is! Fascinating eh! Eventually when I've finished all my training, I'd like to go into the Bioarchaeology or Forensic Anthropology field. I love Ancient DNA and bones...I don't know if that's creepy or not :-P.

Anyways, I'll take a look around...nice to meet you.

Lou
RE: Hello Hello
Very big welcome!
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Ancient DNA sounds fascinating. Exactly how ancient are we talking here? I mean is there any chance of bringing back Neanderthal Man for a chat :S Although that would be so fascinating.

"Jesus wants me for a sunbeam" is creepy, what you're doing is incredible Great
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(December 4, 2010 at 4:49 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Ancient DNA sounds fascinating. Exactly how ancient are we talking here? I mean is there any chance of bringing back Neanderthal Man for a chat :S Although that would be so fascinating.

"Jesus wants me for a sunbeam" is creepy, what you're doing is incredible Great

As ancient as we can get our hands on. I doubt I'd ever be privileged or important enough to work on the rare pre-neanderthal specimens, but who knows! A lot of the research I hope to be going into will be lab-based study of remains we already have - first understanding how skeletal remains preserve ancient biomolecules and then how we can interpret them and compare them with modern biomolecules. It's going to be interesting anyway and could do a lot to fill in the gaps between homo-species.

Unfortunately I don't think the prospect of resurrecting neanderthals is on the cards just yet!...you're right though, that would be amazing :-D

Welcome to the forums Big Grin

Bioarchaeology sounds awesome
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
Quote:I'm also an archaeologist, which ties in nicely. In fact, I've excavated sites that are far older than the Bible says Earth is! Fascinating eh!

Excellent. Archaeology/history is my interest as well. Nice to have another devotee around.

Feel free to drop in at http://archaeologica.boardbot.com/

A lot less religion and hopefully a bit more archaeology than here but THIS is the place to find fellow atheists.

(December 4, 2010 at 8:14 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:I'm also an archaeologist, which ties in nicely. In fact, I've excavated sites that are far older than the Bible says Earth is! Fascinating eh!

Excellent. Archaeology/history is my interest as well. Nice to have another devotee around.

A lot less religion and hopefully a bit more archaeology than here but THIS is the place to find fellow atheists.

Excellent, thank you!

Welcome to the forums! My welcome is the only one that counts because I'm "the pretty one".
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
(December 4, 2010 at 10:41 pm)loush Wrote:
(December 4, 2010 at 8:14 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

Excellent, thank you!

If you go to sign up and Michelle asks who you are, tell her "Min sent you." Ever since a bout with spammers she doesn't let just anyone join!

Sometimes it can be a bit tough breaking through her blockade.

And Chasm is modest, too.
Welcome to AF.

Good to see another voice against the cacophony fundamentalism.