Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 3:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Religion a tool?
Question 
Is Religion a tool?
So, is Religion essentially a tool for someone who needs to cope and be told what to do in this world? Is it merely a crutch? I'm not sure how an Atheist would view it, since I'm Agnostic myself. I have only read bits and pieces of the Christian bible...and it saddens me how Stephen Harper won't accept gay marriages, not everyone is a Christian! Anyways, that's another story for another thread.
I may be lying in the gutter, but I'm staring at the stars.
RE: Is Religion a tool?
(December 5, 2010 at 10:41 am)Marx Wrote: So, is Religion essentially a tool for someone who needs to cope and be told what to do in this world? Is it merely a crutch?

For some, yes. For most, their religion and the church they belong to is the result of a lifetime of indoctrination. For many, their belief in that religion is very real and not a crutch at all. In other words, there is no correct sweeping generalization to answer that sweeping generalization of a question.

(December 5, 2010 at 10:41 am)Marx Wrote: I'm not sure how an Atheist would view it, since I'm Agnostic myself. I have only read bits and pieces of the Christian bible

An 'atheist' does not believe the claims that 'god' exists. Every viewpoint from there will vary from individual to individual. Sweeping generalizations do not apply. Ever.

(December 5, 2010 at 10:41 am)Marx Wrote: ...and it saddens me how Stephen Harper won't accept gay marriages, not everyone is a Christian! Anyways, that's another story for another thread.

It is sad... but that seems to be par for the course. They are taught that their 'morals' are correct for everyone and too many of them seem to believe it is their duty to force those morals on the rest of us.
Metaphorically speaking yes, but religion is not an actual instrument or interface in the broadest sense although it does have its uses and benefits for some people.

Now, if you want to create legions of mindless obedient sheep who'll willingly hand over their life savings to further your cause, religion can be quite useful indeed, but to be fair, the whole "god" aspect is unnecessarily redundant to achieving this end, writing a load of Harry Potter novels seems to have the same effect. Thinking
(December 5, 2010 at 11:18 am)Welsh cake Wrote: [snip]religion can be quite useful indeed, but to be fair, the whole "god" aspect is unnecessarily redundant to achieving this end, writing a load of Harry Potter novels seems to have the same effect.

Ha! True, but to be fair, the same can be said of Star Trek, Star Wars, X-Files, Anime, Comic Books, etc. People, in general, have a strong desire to belong, and any community that forms around something that person likes (or believes in) will have the potential of sucking them in.
Thank-you for your input, I seem to have grasp a better understanding. I cannot believe some people actually think it is real, very hard to believe that Noah collected every single species in a certain amount of time.
(December 5, 2010 at 11:05 am)Paul the Human Wrote:
(December 5, 2010 at 10:41 am)Marx Wrote: So, is Religion essentially a tool for someone who needs to cope and be told what to do in this world? Is it merely a crutch?

For some, yes. For most, their religion and the church they belong to is the result of a lifetime of indoctrination. For many, their belief in that religion is very real and not a crutch at all. In other words, there is no correct sweeping generalization to answer that sweeping generalization of a question.

(December 5, 2010 at 10:41 am)Marx Wrote: I'm not sure how an Atheist would view it, since I'm Agnostic myself. I have only read bits and pieces of the Christian bible

An 'atheist' does not believe the claims that 'god' exists. Every viewpoint from there will vary from individual to individual. Sweeping generalizations do not apply. Ever.

(December 5, 2010 at 10:41 am)Marx Wrote: ...and it saddens me how Stephen Harper won't accept gay marriages, not everyone is a Christian! Anyways, that's another story for another thread.

It is sad... but that seems to be par for the course. They are taught that their 'morals' are correct for everyone and too many of them seem to believe it is their duty to force those morals on the rest of us.

(December 5, 2010 at 11:26 am)Paul the Human Wrote: Ha! True, but to be fair, the same can be said of Star Trek, Star Wars, X-Files, Anime, Comic Books, etc. People, in general, have a strong desire to belong, and any community that forms around something that person likes (or believes in) will have the potential of sucking them in.
Agreed, we either conform to the social norms or become lone wolfs by nature, if we were the latter we wouldn't have created an account on Atheist Forums to hang out with other atheists to start with! Tongue
Yes, it seems that way mostly. Haha! Nicely said, excuse me whilst I part the Red Sea...
But Religion seems to be a tool for some reasons. I had a debate with someone the other day, saying Religion is a positive tool, I'm not so sure about that. A Positive tool as in the Ten Commandments -- without it, life would be chaos...but surely we can abolish Religion - but, most simple-minded people won't, unfortunately...that's just what my challenger stated anyways.

(December 5, 2010 at 11:18 am)Welsh cake Wrote: Metaphorically speaking yes, but religion is not an actual instrument or interface in the broadest sense although it does have its uses and benefits for some people.

Now, if you want to create legions of mindless obedient sheep who'll willingly hand over their live savings to further your cause, religion can be quite useful indeed, but to be fair, the whole "god" aspect is unnecessarily redundant to achieving this end, writing a load of Harry Potter novels seems to have the same effect. Thinking

Religion is certainly used as a tool by some... and quite effectively. And not always (or even usually) to the good. I understand the desire to 'abolish religion', but I don't think it is a realistic ambition. On a personal (this is my church, these are my fellow Christians, friends and neighbors) level, religion offers a lot of good things, not least among them the feeling of belonging. Good luck getting people to give that up, especially when you consider the deeply emotional and superstitious beliefs that it's wrapped in.

As for the ten commandments... the 6 or 7 that aren't simply vain demands to worship god are common sense and nothing more. They can all be wrapped up in a single phrase, known popularly as The Golden Rule... which did not originate in the bible. Which means... we don't even need that part, as you seemed to be saying.
It's tool. If it weren't, it would be extinct. The fact that some are told to use it by lifetime of indoctrination rather than by actively seeking it out for use in meeting certain emotional need does not change the fact that it is still being used as a tool.
Of course its a tool.

Quote:“Religion is what keeps the poor man from murdering the rich”

-- Napoleon Bonaparte

Guess who wields it?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion: a tool for the ruling class to keep the population under control? Veritas_Vincit 25 4253 June 30, 2016 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10914 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4952 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19922 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Religion can be a tool for us too. The_greatest_river 3 945 December 15, 2014 at 3:20 am
Last Post: Ryantology
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 50040 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Handy religion tool Cyberman 3 1227 December 29, 2011 at 7:30 am
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5211 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused