Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird strobe effect
Weird strobe effect
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVwmtwZLG...ature=fvwp

What happens when you record on video the plane's blades with a Nokia N95 mobile phone.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Weird strobe effect
Wait...they still have passenger planes with external blades? Holy crap...I've fallen backwards through TIME!
(December 6, 2010 at 2:50 am)Tiberius Wrote: Wait...they still have passenger planes with external blades? Holy crap...I've fallen backwards through TIME!

Haven't you ever heard of turboprops?

You can still buy Fokker Friendships new.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(December 6, 2010 at 2:50 am)Tiberius Wrote: Wait...they still have passenger planes with external blades? Holy crap...I've fallen backwards through TIME!

Sure. For low flight speeds turboprops are way more fuel-efficient than regular turbine engines. Which is why they are used quite a lot in European flights. I sit in a turboprop plane about once every two months.

Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
We have turboprops that leave our city on the eastern coast of Lake Michigan and fly you over the lake (80miles) to Milwaukee or Chicago. Or maybe take you to Detroit on the other side of the state, so you can catch a flight on a passenger liner.

There will be more external bladed engines in your future. Think of a turbofan engine as just a turboprop engine with a smaller, densely bladed prop encased in a shroud. A turbo prop engine is just a turbo fan engine with a very large, sparsely bladed fan without a shroud.

A lot of work is currently going into a new intermediate concept called propfan, which is half way between a turbofan and a turboprop. It's an externally bladed engine with lot more shorter blades then traditional turboprop, but without the shroud, and with longer blades, then of the conventional turbofan.
(December 6, 2010 at 7:30 am)Zen Badger Wrote:

Haven't you ever heard of turboprops?

You can still buy Fokker Friendships new.

Reminds me of a joke, Zen.

Quote:A World War II pilot is reminiscing before school children about his days in the air force. (Joke best delivered with a good thick accent)

"In 1942," he says, "the situation was really tough. The Germans had a very strong air force. I remember, " he continues, "one day I was protecting the bombers and suddenly, out of the clouds, these fokkers appeared.

(At this point, several of the children giggle.)

I looked up, and right above me was one of them. I aimed at him and shot him down. They were swarming. I immediately realized that there was another fokker behind me."

At this instant the girls in the auditorium start to giggle and boys start to laugh. The teacher stands up and says, "I think I should point out that 'Fokker' was the name of the German-Dutch aircraft company"

"That's true," says the pilot, "but these fokkers were flying Messerschmidts."
No Folke Wulf - 190 jokes?
(December 6, 2010 at 9:08 pm)Chuck Wrote: No Folke Wulf - 190 jokes?

Could be dangerous to folke a wulf.

I always liked the DR1, It was a pleasant little fokker.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The funny, weird, unusual and hilarious xmas thread KichigaiNeko 5 1928 December 17, 2013 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Songs with really weird lyrics. Edwardo Piet 4 2353 March 23, 2009 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Most weird comedy clips ever... Edwardo Piet 2 2088 March 13, 2009 at 6:56 am
  Really weird ABOFAL comedy sketch Edwardo Piet 0 1904 December 22, 2008 at 8:47 pm
  What the bleep do we know.. Quantum Mechanics and weird stuff. Darwinian 0 1472 December 14, 2008 at 2:00 pm
Last Post: Darwinian