Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone seriously believe that one day all religion will die?
Does anyone seriously believe that one day all religion will die?
Atheists often consider themselves to be the rational ones and for many reasons this is true. But just like any other grouping of human thought they are not immune to the insanities of the human mind.

It's all very well believing there's no God, it's a highly rational outlook. But to then go on a mission, spending all your waking hours arguing God's non-existence, in an attempt to enlighten the world into your viewpoint, is daft.

Throughout all recorded human history, religion has played a part. Why would you then think that this will ever change?

Darwin taught us that we are animals like the rest. No other animal can change its nature through thought and effort, so then why us?

Richard Dawkins states at the end of the selfish gene that 'We, alone on earth, can rebel against the tyranny of the selfish replicators'. What is this based on? Nothing but faith. Where is the evidence?

Schopenhauer - surely the most realistic of all the philosophers - told as that 'we can do what we will, but we cannot will what we will'. Unlike Dawkins, he truly understood the message of Darwin. Many billions of people have an unconscious will to believe in the supernatural, many others believe in science in an equally supernatural way (the quest for eternal life, for example, will never happen, but many atheists still believe that one day they'll be resurrected forever - never gonna happen).

Religion has always been with us and always will. It is insane and ignorant of the realities of darwinism to try and change this. Tolerance and understanding of the failings of human logic (i.e. religion) is the wisest state of mind. Everything else is just pie-in-the-sky talk.

Accept. Tolerate. The world will never be united in a single philosophy. And thank god for that (figure of speech).

Does anyone really believe religion will one day die out? If not, give up trying to convert people, and begin trying to understand them.
RE: Does anyone seriously believe that one day all religion will die?
(December 9, 2010 at 6:32 pm)ScienceIsTheOnlyLord Wrote: Does anyone really believe religion will one day die out?

No, there will always be people willing to believe anything.
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
Odd that you do not seem to expect them to accept and tolerate us?

You reminded me of a line from a song written by an aging southern veteran during the reconstruction-era and speaking of the north.

Quote:I can't take up my musket
And fight 'em now no more,
But I ain't going to love 'em,
Now that is certain sure;
(December 9, 2010 at 6:41 pm)Shinylight Wrote:
(December 9, 2010 at 6:32 pm)ScienceIsTheOnlyLord Wrote: Does anyone really believe religion will one day die out?

No, there will always be people willing to believe anything.

You speak the truth, and an obvious truth at that.
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
(December 9, 2010 at 6:44 pm)HeyItsZeus Wrote: You speak the truth, and an obvious truth at that.

I've seen the light... Wink
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
(December 9, 2010 at 6:45 pm)Shinylight Wrote: I've seen the light... Wink

<.< >.> The... shiny light?
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
Quote:Many billions of people have an unconscious will to believe in the supernatural, many others believe in science in an equally supernatural way (the quest for eternal life, for example, will never happen, but many atheists still believe that one day they'll be resurrected forever - never gonna happen).

Quote:If not, give up trying to convert people, and begin trying to understand them.
I haven't given up on humanity yet, it's my primary source of entertainment.
"Faith is about taking a comforting, childlike view of a disturbing and complicated world." ~ Edward Current

[Image: Invisible_Pink_Unicorn_by_stampystampy.gif] [Image: 91b7ba0967f80c8c43c58fdf3fa0571a.gif] [Image: Secular_Humanist_by_MaruLovesStamps.gif]
(December 9, 2010 at 6:51 pm)Lethe Wrote:
Quote:Many billions of people have an unconscious will to believe in the supernatural, many others believe in science in an equally supernatural way (the quest for eternal life, for example, will never happen, but many atheists still believe that one day they'll be resurrected forever - never gonna happen).

Quote:If not, give up trying to convert people, and begin trying to understand them.
I haven't given up on humanity yet, it's my primary source of entertainment.

I know this has nothing to do with the thread but I love that comedian!
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
The day when all religion dies will come soon after the day when all impulse to commit crimes stops.
I doubt 100% of people will ever take a rational look at it and come to the conclusion religion is meaningless and not needed but I do see a time, hopefully in the not to distant future where religion plays zero part in the wider world. It has no influence on government agendas or policy and has no effect on people who don't want it to. Ignorance breeds ignorance but Atheism has grown, as we as a species have become more educated and as long as our understanding of the world grows we will hopefully become a much more secular world.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 58 3437 February 25, 2024 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2619 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Where do we go when we die and are you afraid? Shazzalovesnovels 271 20444 August 6, 2020 at 8:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4029 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3099 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  Does forming an atheist community pose a risk to becoming a religion? yogamaster 42 4535 June 22, 2019 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Does the roo knows all the answers to atheism Gummro 44 8007 January 29, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Does religion expose the shortcomings of empathy based moral systems henryp 19 2353 December 2, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: henryp
  What makes people believe in religion? LetThereBeNoGod 11 3150 February 21, 2017 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Does the World Need Religion? phoenix31 85 9750 February 7, 2017 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger