Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worship-like music for atheists?
Worship-like music for atheists?
I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any music that is worship-like...except for atheists/humanists? I'm not necessarily thinking about style, like hymns or contemporary worship like Hillsong. I'm thinking about the feeling of connectedness and devotion to something bigger than yourself. The closest I can think of is the Ambient genre, which can make you feel a sense of wonder in nature and the cosmos. For example, Dreams by Nuages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RMHHwJ9Eqk

or Ether by We're All Astronauts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fFbeSykaJk

are both songs that make me feel...human.

However, I can't think of anything from the Ambient genre that really focuses on a shared human experience. For instance, Spirit of the Living God 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGOlGswStA 

In the video, it is apparent that there is a lot of emotion and the song uses a lot of plural first person pronouns and I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss that experience from when I used to be a Christian. It was so powerful for me, I used to use it as a crutch to hold my faith up when I was doubting. Now I just listen and don't worry about all the religious baggage that comes with it. Just wondering if anyone out there feels the same way I do and if you've found alternatives to get similar vibes.  

Thanks!
RE: Worship-like music for atheists?
Only if worshiping the male form counts.

Don't click if you don't want to see sexy men:

Welcome to AF, man!

Just listen to regular ol' gospel music man, but after the song ends, remember that God doesn't exist and that the "uplifted" feeling you got was just from the song... not God.
Not to worship, but this is exhilarating, if one sings along-

If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(August 2, 2018 at 10:47 pm)Fireball Wrote: Not to worship, but this is exhilarating, if one sings along-

Yes, put him in a stranglehold until he stops twitching.
Worship this:

But if you come from a Catholic childhood you could worship this and pretend it was in Latin.  (Could be for all I know.)

Handel's Messiah does it for me.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
Steve Martin knows...Atheists don't have no songs.

Other than that little gem, I would just say any music you find moving and uplifting would count.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
When I want to listen to "worship ike music I don't beat around the bush. I go full gospel.

Staple Singers, Mavis Staple, Aretha Franklin and a bottle of red wine make a good friday night.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Well, rap that!

Fuckin Joe Pesci.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for country music singers similar to Alan Jackson rado84 5 614 July 31, 2023 at 10:27 am
Last Post: rado84
  Christian music you actually like? JairCrawford 31 2724 June 17, 2022 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  New Ahem Music Istvan 1 407 March 20, 2022 at 3:39 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New music, Old music Ahriman 79 6370 November 5, 2021 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Listening to music popeyespappy 35 3504 September 27, 2021 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Music Composition FlatAssembler 1 251 May 22, 2020 at 3:08 pm
  Carrie fans and country music. Brian37 13 1162 May 16, 2020 at 8:54 pm
  My new favorite song of all time excluding classical music Alex K 1 592 January 26, 2020 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Never a flash in the pan. MUSIC. Brian37 19 1639 December 7, 2019 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: no one
  Music videos that rep the POTUS'S idiocy. Brian37 9 1687 October 22, 2019 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah