Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 4:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bombastic know it all
Bombastic know it all
Is what I am if I let the beer do the talking.

But I do my best to behave.

We have some friends, he is very practical builder-type, she is a bit of a hippy.

The conversation turned towards the weird and wondeful and the told the story of a few years ago, at a barbeque at their house. (In France).
Their son who was 9 at the time fell towards the barbeque and burned the palms of his hands on some coals.
Much wailing and tears and his hands blistered up.
One of the guests, a frenchman, suggested they took him to a neighbour who was a healer. The went to her house and the old woman looked at the kids hands, mumbled an incantation and rubbed an ointment on.
The next day there were practically no blisters and his hands healed very quickly.
What did we think of that?
Well we were non-commital, "well I never" and said somes stuff about the efficacy of traditional herbal remedies.

What I would have liked to have said was:
It's possible the burns weren't as bad as you though because:
1. You'd had a few drinks at the barbeque, it's possible your recall of the events and the severity of the burns isn't accurate.
2. If the burns really were serious you'd have taken the kid to the hospital, not buggered about with the local witch.
3. If the burns were really serious the other gusts would have encouraged you to take the kid to hospital.
4. The barbeque coals, although very very hot, do not transfer their heat as efficiently as, say, metal does. This is why firewalking works over short distances.

There are 2 possibilities:
1. your neighbour is a witch and magic is real or
2. the burns wernet that bad.

But that's not the way to keep friends.
'How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely? Jer 8:8
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. Groucho Marx
RE: Bombastic know it all
I think this is the telling bit of the story:

rubbed an ointment on

So basically it was modern medicine that made his hands heal. There are plenty of "ointments" available that would have had this affect. Minor burns tend to heal fast anyway.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? BrianSoddingBoru4 3656 195839 4 hours ago
Last Post: Foxaèr
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1073 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  I know something you don't know... Jackalope 98 17303 April 22, 2018 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Real world example of "I don't even know what I don't even know" ErGingerbreadMandude 24 3907 January 25, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  I just wanted you all to know Losty 12 3974 May 3, 2014 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Go on then Dotard, tell us all about how you got to know your staff. leo-rcc 31 9171 April 14, 2010 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Violet