Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Paul" What's Bullshit and What Isn't?
"Paul" What's Bullshit and What Isn't?
https://vridar.org/2017/05/26/why-many-i...ry-likely/

Quote:Why Many Interpolations in Paul’s Letters are Very Likely

A discussion/review of William O. Walker's "Some Surprises From The Apostle Paul."

Quote:Our ignorance of the state of the letters prior to 200 CE may itself be evidence that the earlier letters differed significantly from the versions we now have. Marcion’s shorter versions, after all, no longer survives.

Oh, and before the jesus freaks lose their shit, Walker was a Professor of Religion at Trinity University so, he was or still is, one of you.
RE: "Paul" What's Bullshit and What Isn't?
I think I agree with The most Scholars quotes in the article.

Quote:They see no way to identify such interpolations with any certainty, and they tend to regard arguments for interpolation as highly speculative and almost inevitably circular in nature.

There may be, but given what was in the article, there is no reason to guess that there is.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
Yeah.... that's why the discussion has to come from a book written by a xhristard because otherwise people like you will simply dismiss it.... as you have apparently done, anyway.
i didn’t even look at who wrote it. I looked at the reasons given and agree with most scholars here.

I notice that you however often focus on who rather than what. Dismissing because of the source. Attacking the source, attacking the person, argument from ignorance and silence. Appeal to motivation. These are your favorite fallacies. Of which this fits right in.

I tell you what... you make an arguement that isn’t based on these, and I’ll promise to “lose my shit” just for you. Wink
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
Popcorn
(August 8, 2018 at 12:08 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: i didn’t even look at who wrote it. I looked at the reasons given and agree with most scholars here.

I notice that you however often focus on who rather than what. Dismissing because of the source. Attacking the source, attacking the person, argument from ignorance and silence. Appeal to motivation. These are your favorite fallacies. Of which this fits right in.

I tell you what... you make an arguement that isn’t based on these, and I’ll promise to “lose my shit” just for you. Wink

Yes, because you are satisfied with anyone who will tell you that your fairy tales are real.  Usually you get that from theologians masquerading as "historians."  I'm not interested in their apologetic horseshit.  Or yours.

I don't think you are capable of making a rational argument about much of anything.

Got it now.
(August 8, 2018 at 1:16 am)Minimalist Wrote:
(August 8, 2018 at 12:08 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: i didn’t even look at who wrote it. I looked at the reasons given and agree with most scholars here.

Yes, because you are satisfied with anyone who will tell you that your fairy tales are real.  Usually you get that from theologians masquerading as "historians."  I'm not interested in their apologetic horseshit.  Or yours.

Got it now.

Apologetics comes from the Greek word apologia and is a legal term; which describes giving a defense or reason for something.  

I don't really care who you get your information from, or what their conclusion is, but the reasons and evidence to support the claim.  One can even acknowledge a good argument for an opposing view, and not have to jump to that side.   It is about the weight of all the evidence.  I just don't find speculation based on silence to be a very good argument.   Many would call it fallacious.

The problem with the link in the OP is that it is unfalsifiable and hence the circular accusation by "most scholars".   It is assuming that there are interpolations in Pauls letters, because everything has interpolations.  However you cannot show otherwise, because even if you don't find any reasons or evidence to conclude that there are interpolations, you are assuming that they are there anyway.
So on the one hand you have a well known Xtian professor presenting an entire book in which he acknowledges what everone since Reimarus in the 17th century has been saying about this paul shit and on the other hand we have a guy like you waving a bible and saying "I believe!!!!!"

I hope you realize how foolish you look.  None of this is news.... to everyone except fundies apparently.
(August 8, 2018 at 7:37 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote:  It is assuming that there are interpolations in Pauls letters, because everything has interpolations. 

Everything but "paul" and his "letters"..apparently.   Rolleyes
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 8, 2018 at 12:49 pm)Minimalist Wrote: So on the one hand you have a well known Xtian professor presenting an entire book in which he acknowledges what everone since Reimarus in the 17th century has been saying about this paul shit and on the other hand we have a guy like you waving a bible and saying "I believe!!!!!"

I hope you realize how foolish you look.  None of this is news.... to everyone except fundies apparently.

That’s not what I said (not even close). And according to the article most scholars agree.

I just checked... yep haven’t lost my shit yet! (That is a metaphor right). Now if you had actual arguments instead of making stuff up about me, thing may be different.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Tongue Animals on a ship.... and no this isn't the story of noah Cepheus Ace 7 752 December 10, 2018 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Paul Revere Pooped Here? Maybe. Minimalist 14 903 September 29, 2017 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The Gospels....or Bullshit Makes The Flowers Grow Minimalist 22 6696 June 7, 2017 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Quest for the Historical Paul Minimalist 44 7644 May 18, 2016 at 4:15 pm
  Forgetting Jesus Freak Bullshit, Let's Stick To History: Minimalist 38 7779 October 20, 2015 at 1:30 pm
  I Put This In History - Even Though It Isn't Minimalist 5 1381 July 14, 2014 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Chad32