Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I’m sick of the far left too
I’m sick of the far left too
Obviously I am sick of the far right. I can’t tolerate anything they stand for.
But I am sick of the far left too. I mean...not necessarily the far left. I would say I am far left politically. But the radical left is probably a better way of putting it. Really I’m sick of seeing hatefulness. And for people who say they hate bigots they sure do like to use the word retard like it’s not a slur. I’m just tired. I wish I could mute anyone and anything that was about politics for a while. All I see are angry people being hateful to each other and it’s exhausting. Has politics always been this way and I’m just now noticing or..?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
RE: I’m sick of the far left too
I'm there with you. Don't like the extremes from either side. 

I feel like it's politically devolving into the 1970's.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 4, 2018 at 10:44 pm)wyzas Wrote: I'm there with you. Don't like the extremes from either side. 

The difference is the radical left and radical right of the 1970s were just loud and in fact the main source of gravity was a middle than believed facts mattered and sees virtue in decorum, cooperation, public service and greater public good. Most of the strategy of the Republican right since circa 1985 has been to discredit that center. As a result there is no longer a source of gravity at the middle.
Count me among you guys. Honestly, if social media is any indication, being part of the Left has pretty much devolved into issues of "how dare you worry about your selfish wants and desires when you can worry about my selfish wants and desires?" I really do understand that a lot of the grievances a lot of these minority groups have are utterly valid, but ultimately, that's what a lot of identity politics has come to boil down to for me.

And there's a shitton of groups who've spent so long trying to gain equality that they've pretty much become the same sort of bloodthirsty, potentially oppressive groups they've spent so much time fighting against, except without the institutional power that makes them truly dangerous. Just social media hiveminds to tear apart anyone who's rumoured to have a shady past (or just dares to go against the hive's opinion), whether those rumours have merit or not.

And when they're not bloodthirsty, the sort of crusades that have become popular can often be quixotic. Look at Black Lives Matter. Given that a little less than a thousand people are killed by police per year, and no doubt many more, including a disproportionately high number of black people, are on the wrong end of police violence well outside any proportionate response, and even more just end up getting profiled for no real reason (at least not related to melanin content), it is blindingly, thuddingly, obvious that there's a shitton of serious injustices that need redress. But one has to ask: what has the movement accomplished? Indeed, what can it accomplish? Well, they do publicise this serious issue, and bring it to the forefront. But what else can be done? Pass laws against it? I'm pretty sure there already are laws about police brutality already on the books. The people in power just don't want to enforce those laws, except maybe if public pressure makes them need to. Maybe.

At this point, I seriously wonder if there's even any meaningful form of dissent anymore. Maybe the biggest power structures have always been so thoroughly entrenched that only small things can actually be changed, but the most vocal parts of the left (at least in my generation), have managed to jettisoned practicality, and reached the point where we can actually elect a wrestling heel as President because, if what the left's screaming about is basic human decency, then we can just chuck it out the window. As long as we're fighting the forces of evil, who cares if the measures and goals we want simply cannot apply to life on Earth?

To be fair, given that the Republican Party is split between people who take The Handmaid's Tale as their ideal for what America should be like, people who take Mad Max as their ideal for what America should be like, and people who take "Blood Meridian" as their ideal for what America should be like, I cannot fucking imagine how horrible the Left would really have to become before the Republican Party seems like the lesser evil.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(November 4, 2018 at 10:44 pm)wyzas Wrote: I'm there with you. Don't like the extremes from either side. 

I dunno..

I was too busy getting drunk, stoned and laid in the 70' s to worry about politics.

But yeah - hearing the " heroes" on both sides crowing about their special place in the universe, and the evils of " the other" got old, a long time ago...
I don't like any kind of extremism, either (most people don't, by definition).
But it's the far right, not the far left, that has me fearful. They're killing Jews, blacks, women, abortion doctors, Muslims and whomever they view as a threat.
The far right is also less likely to stay the hell out of my uterus. I've never heard anyone from the left say women shouldn't have access to birth control or abortions. But I hear it all the time from the right.

ETA: I take "news vacations" occasionally and I completely stop watching all news for a few days or a week. Funnily enough, I always feel more relaxed when I do that!

-Teresa
(November 5, 2018 at 12:23 am)Tres Leches Wrote: I don't like any kind of extremism, either (most people don't, by definition).
But it's the far right, not the far left, that has me fearful. They're killing Jews, blacks, women, abortion doctors, Muslims and whomever they view as a threat.
The far right is also less likely to stay the hell out of my uterus. I've never heard anyone from the left say women shouldn't have access to birth control or abortions. But I hear it all the time from the right.

ETA: I take "news vacations" occasionally and I completely stop watching all news for a few days or a week. Funnily enough, I always feel more relaxed when I do that!

-Teresa

Yeah, as much of a tongue-lashing I've given the far left, it's clear they're still the lesser of two evils, as I explained in my last paragraph.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I suppose you have forgotten all of this?

[Image: racist-barack-obama-kenya.jpg]

[Image: e3e106bda6d447ca78527e897056e04b.jpeg]

[Image: 052816_sorenson_facebook_600x400.jpg]

[Image: racisttshirt.jpeg]

[Image: fullfrontalracism.jpg?1370004598]

And then the tea-bagging trumptards demand "civility?"  Fuck 'em.  They had their chance.
Yeah - " those guys" started it....

Learned in kindergarten, practiced for life.
Don't like extremism of any kind, but boy do I prefer the radical left over the radical right. I'm not white, I'm not a man, I'm probably not even straight. I got birthright citizenship despite my parents being non-citizens (legally) living in the US. Don't think the radical right, or anyone on the far right, for that matter, likes me very much.
The word bed actually looks like a bed. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Far Right on the Rise Foxaèr 2 375 September 14, 2022 at 6:56 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Ghost Guns - one of the left's lies. onlinebiker 33 2146 June 23, 2021 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  [Serious] When you left theism, did you go Left? zwanzig 34 2217 April 22, 2021 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  Is there a continent in history where Britain never went too? Sweden83 21 1161 December 5, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  "Activist Judges" and the BS far right..... Brian37 10 655 October 16, 2020 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Manipulation culture by left wingers Richi29 13 1103 July 24, 2020 at 5:57 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Right is left WinterHold 2 607 February 8, 2020 at 8:31 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  What’s Left? BrianSoddingBoru4 48 3143 February 4, 2020 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Trump's catering to the far right. Jehanne 18 1532 April 23, 2019 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I like that American left are miserable Snora 82 6959 March 24, 2019 at 7:47 am
Last Post: Little lunch