Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reversed grinches
Reversed grinches
I have the feeling that christians who dislike atheists (maybe also people of other faiths than christians) who celebrate Christmas or people who don't celebrate it at all, are reversed grinches. The grinch disliked Christmas and everyone celebrating it, this people do the opposite.
At least in some cases. Maybe some of them aren't asshooles, but still have the inverted ideology of the grinch.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: Reversed grinches
I'm so lost.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 11, 2018 at 10:38 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: I have the feeling that christians who dislike atheists (maybe also people of other faiths than christians) who celebrate Christmas or people who don't celebrate it at all, are reversed grinches. The grinch disliked Christmas and everyone celebrating it, this people do the opposite.
At least in some cases. Maybe some of them aren't asshooles, but still have the inverted ideology of the grinch.

Wouldn’t  a ‘reverse Grinch’ be someone who sneaks into your house to decorate it and leave you loads of food and gifts?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 11, 2018 at 11:14 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 11, 2018 at 10:38 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: I have the feeling that christians who dislike atheists (maybe also people of other faiths than christians) who celebrate Christmas or people who don't celebrate it at all, are reversed grinches. The grinch disliked Christmas and everyone celebrating it, this people do the opposite.

Wouldn’t  a ‘reverse Grinch’ be someone who sneaks into your house to decorate it and leave you loads of food and gifts?

Boru

And they'd do in on midsummer's day, not Christmas eve.
-- 
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
It is kind of funny to hear christians complain about atheists celebrating christmas. For one, it's not like there's much else to do, since all the stores will be closed. second, atheists can love their family and give them gifts as much as anyone. Third, celebrating the winter solstice is not a uniquely christian thing. Neither are most things revolving around the holiday anyway. Nowadays it's become so secular, it's a wonder why christans celebrate christmas anymore.

Aside from churches putting up nativity scenes, what is there done at christmas time that still relates to Jesus? Certainly not the tree, decorating, wreathes or logs, or Santa. Gift giving I can sort of see, if you remember the story of the three kings. It's a secular holiday. Don't turn your noses up at atheists celebrating it.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Man, I love Christmas. Our family tradition is to open all of our gifts sometime between 5-7 PM Christmas Eve night. Christmas day is essentially for watching the parade (not really my thing, but my mom likes it), having friends and any family that couldn't make it the night before come over, and otherwise spending some quality alone time with all the gifts. All while eating various holiday themed foods and snacks that put the 'die' in 'diabetes'.

It's just a fun, relaxing way to enjoy family, friends, and free swag at the end of the year.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(November 13, 2018 at 6:42 pm)Chad32 Wrote: It is kind of funny to hear christians complain about atheists celebrating christmas. For one, it's not like there's much else to do, since all the stores will be closed. second, atheists can love their family and give them gifts as much as anyone. Third, celebrating the winter solstice is not a uniquely christian thing. Neither are most things revolving around the holiday anyway. Nowadays it's become so secular, it's a wonder why christans celebrate christmas anymore.

Aside from churches putting up nativity scenes, what is there done at christmas time that still relates to Jesus? Certainly not the tree, decorating, wreathes or logs, or Santa. Gift giving I can sort of see, if you remember the story of the three kings. It's a secular holiday. Don't turn your noses up at atheists celebrating it.
People used to give me shit for being an atheist and celebrating a religious holiday, 
so I would point out that, in the US, Christmas is also a national  holiday.

Then I got shit for being an anarchist and celebrating a national holiday.

So now I celebrate it as a part of my cultural heritage.  
Come at me for that one, motherfuckers.  Hmph
-- 
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
(November 13, 2018 at 6:29 pm)Dr H Wrote:
(November 11, 2018 at 11:14 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Wouldn’t  a ‘reverse Grinch’ be someone who sneaks into your house to decorate it and leave you loads of food and gifts?

Boru

And they'd do in on midsummer's day, not Christmas eve.

Pretty much the same in this nape of the woods. About three days apart.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 14, 2018 at 2:27 am)KevinM1 Wrote: Man, I love Christmas.  Our family tradition is to open all of our gifts sometime between 5-7 PM Christmas Eve night.  Christmas day is essentially for watching the parade (not really my thing, but my mom likes it), having friends and any family that couldn't make it the night before come over, and otherwise spending some quality alone time with all the gifts.  All while eating various holiday themed foods and snacks that put the 'die' in 'diabetes'.

It's just a fun, relaxing way to enjoy family, friends, and free swag at the end of the year.
Same here. I always get so confused when Christians who know I'm an atheist get mad at me for celebrating it. It's such a magical time.
The word bed actually looks like a bed. 
Hell’s bells - if it gets me prezzies and free food, I’ll celebrate The Feast of The Assumption of The Stray Breeze of Guadalupe.

Boru