Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I believe there is no God.
I believe there is no God.
Is this thread's title necessarily dogmatic?

Is the title necessarily arrogant?

Is the title necessarily an expression of gnostic/strong atheism?

I am going to dispute this last point at least.

Here's how I'm disputing it:

If I believe there is no God, that either means that I believe I know there is no God (gnostic atheism/strong atheism) or I merely believe (believe that I believe/have an opinion that) there is no God (agnostic atheism/weak atheism). Equating believing there is no God with gnostic atheism is a mistake because it might be believing without claiming knowledge.

Yes, it's true, it's possible to neither believe there is or isn't a God - you can be completely without opinion on the matter - but that doesn't imply that if anyone believes there is no God they necessarily mean they believe they know there is no God.

Here's why I'm disputing it: This thread is addressing comments on this forum that have been made that suggest that "believing there is no God" equates to gnostic atheism.
RE: I believe there is no God.
What about "I have no belief there is a god"?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
I addressed that
DvF from this thread's OP Wrote:Yes, it's true, it's possible to neither believe there is or isn't a God - you can be completely without opinion on the matter - but that doesn't imply that if anyone believes there is no God they necessarily mean they believe they know there is no God.

(Emphasis added)
I believe this is called antitheism. Rather than a lack of belief in X we have a belief in null-X.
"If an injury must be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared" - Niccolo Macchiavelli
No this is Antitheism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antitheism
Or you could take the stance that there probably is no god, which wouldn't claim knowledge.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
True, but nevertheless saying "I believe there is no God" doesn't necessarily mean "I believe I know there is no God".
I currently believe there is no god, however my beliefs can be modified by evidence.

At the moment the side of the table which should contain 'evidence for god' is empty.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Just call yourself an "assuming" atheist and do away with all of the unnecessary crap.
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
I am glad to hear that you can finally admit your faith in there being no God ^_^

Doubtie Wrote:If I believe there is no God, that either means that I believe I know there is no God (gnostic atheism/strong atheism) or I merely believe (believe that I believe/have an opinion that) there is no God (agnostic atheism/weak atheism). Equating believing there is no God with gnostic atheism is a mistake because it might be believing without claiming knowledge.

If you "merely believe", you still believe there is no God... Adding the word 'merely' doesn't change the fact of your belief, silly Smile

Quote:Is this thread's title necessarily dogmatic?

Nope, it is just what your faith is... we wouldn't accuse the christians or muslims of being necessarily true simply because they've faith either Smile

Quote:Is the title necessarily arrogant?

Nope, arrogance as it relates to faith is when you are unwilling to reconsider your faith should it be challenged.

Quote:Is the title necessarily an expression of gnostic/strong atheism?

Yes, it is after all: what you believe. You can know and still be wrong, and can even know that knowledge is in flux, and that you might be wrong. And yet, you still know there is no God... and the fact that you know there is no God is a gnostic position Smile

Quote:I am going to dispute this last point at least.

Funny that you should try to debate the only one that I answer yes to ^_^

Quote:Yes, it's true, it's possible to neither believe there is or isn't a God - you can be completely without opinion on the matter - but that doesn't imply that if anyone believes there is no God they necessarily mean they believe they know there is no God.

The ones with no opinions are those that are dead and those that were never alive. Smile If you believe there is no god, you know that there is no god Smile I believe that I wouldn't win the lottery if I were to buy tickets for it... i know it infact. But just as all beliefs can be misplaced, so too can the reason for the belief (the knowledge) be misplaced Smile

Quote:Here's why I'm disputing it: This thread is addressing comments on this forum that have been made that suggest that "believing there is no God" equates to gnostic atheism.

Because it does? Tongue You're disputing it because it does? XD
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quick Poll - Do you believe in God? Tiberius 1632 451955 May 13, 2023 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 8143 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3012 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 13520 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Here’s Why You SHOULDN’T Believe In God BrianSoddingBoru4 46 4063 April 5, 2020 at 8:03 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Do you wish there's a god? Catharsis 580 42899 April 10, 2019 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Poll: 0.0% of Icelanders Under 25 Believe God Created The World blue grey brain 37 6390 January 24, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Do u want there to be a God? Any God? Agnostico 304 29988 December 19, 2018 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Amarok
  scripture says we atheists believe in god android17ak47 17 3210 October 21, 2018 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Fireball
  I'd like to ask my fellow atheists if they would be happy to learn there was a god. Whateverist 88 16432 September 4, 2017 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Astonished